Axiom Home Page
Vote for the most improved technology as compared to when you were a kid.
Where's sliced bread?
And Vrroom engines? Oh, wait, they don't make those anymore.
Bread? Are you making fun of my poll? Engine oil is vey advanced. It just goes unnoticed!
Ever want to know what they look like inside?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS7kd7-VA6c&feature=related
Oops I voted tv then read the thread title. I was born in '83!
It's ok. You just lack the scope of knowledge of how crappy our stuff was.
I voted TV but a good argument could be made for everything except maybe Tires. Also....you could have included Popcorn.
I don't know about motor oil, but there are tons more lube choices now.

I would like to compliment the other "Battery" voter on his/her astute consideration.
I'm glad to see batteries get some votes. I just think about all the very dim flashlights (the silver Eveready with the red switch) I had.
Tires have come a long way, how often do you get a flat tire? I don't remember changing one since I owned a vehicle.

But when the ol' bias plys were out, it was a regular thing!
Yep, we sure do take a lot for granted. (I voted for the disposable razor even though I wasn't shaving in the 70s)
Originally Posted By: SBrown
Tires have come a long way, how often do you get a flat tire? I don't remember changing one since I owned a vehicle.

But when the ol' bias plys were out, it was a regular thing!

I worked at Firestone in the '70s as a tire changer. Firestone was replacing their 500 series with the 721 series. The 500's had a problem with separation which would result in knots appearing in the tread. When I commented on tires, it was that I have seen fairly small incremental improvement sinc the 721 series. Batteries - a fairly significant jump when the alkalines came out - but since then small incremental improvements. If you look at TV's or digital cameras, the significant jumps have been numerous and often - just sayin...
As for batteries... I have two comments:

Portable music:
Then: Boombox with 8 Alkaline D-cells
Now: Player of choice with an internal rechargeable Li-gel battery.

ENG video cameras:
Then: battery belt of lead acid batteries that make you look like you're diving for sunken treasure.
Now: Lithium ion or Lithium polymer battery pack on the back of the camera.

Bren R.
Bren, those battery belts are still useful for weighing down light stands....
I'd strip them for the lead in them, but they're full of cadmium, too... cadmium fumes make Bren R. something something.

Bren R.
Marge: [timidly] "Go Crazy?"
Even though the mechanical aspects and basic concept of auto engines hasn't changed a great deal, the electronics/computerization of them has certainly made them more efficient not too mention cleaner. I remember reading an article comparing engines only as far back as the 80's that were putting out over 200 times the polutants as compared to a modern engine....might have been the same article that said driving a Porsche Turbo through Los Angeles actually helps clean the air.
Don't mind if I do!

Bren R.
For those of you not in the know on the recent exchange between me and BrenR, it's from the Simpsons episode [2F03] Treehouse of Horror V, which is an homage to the Shining: linky.
Sadly, I just saw The Shining for the first time last weekend.

Bren R.
no way
I have not yet seen it.

I know.
Nor have I.

At least I've seen The Godfather now.
Stanley Kubrick is genius. But he can be an acquired taste. I think The Shining has some pretty strange and creepy moments. Some audiences laughed at the "scary"parts.
It's supposed to be creepy, nu?
I bet most people have not seen Barry Lyndon, which I have. smile
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Nor have I.

At least I've seen The Godfather now.

I haven't seen either. I'm a horrible person.
I liked Barry Lyndon. Maybe my favorite Kubrick film.
Originally Posted By: BrenR
As for batteries... I have two comments:

Portable music:
Then: Boombox with 8 Alkaline D-cells
Now: Player of choice with an internal rechargeable Li-gel battery.

ENG video cameras:
Then: battery belt of lead acid batteries that make you look like you're diving for sunken treasure.
Now: Lithium ion or Lithium polymer battery pack on the back of the camera.

Bren R.

Car Batteries
Then: Heavy lead acid ~1.5 cubic feet
Now: Heavy lead acid ~1.5 cubic feet

Seriously thou, I'm just eternally disappointed in battery tech. There has been so much effort put into researching how to make them better and while there have been improvements they are all just minor improvements from what was previous. I demand a compact battery to power my smartphone for days and something half as large and heavy as what we see in current electric cars (Telsa, Volt, Leaf, etc) that can power the vehicle for at least 3 times as long.
Seriously, wouldn't it be nice if batteries shrank at the same rate as computer chips?
© Axiom Message Boards