Axiom Home Page
Posted By: INANE DIY Loudspeakers - 02/24/12 04:48 PM
This loudspeaker project looks like fun.

I used to build my own speakers, mostly because it was much cheaper (not this project) but also because its fun. Since I found Axiom my ways have changed a bit thou I still build my subs. Maybe someday I'll have the time to get back into it. Anyone else dabble?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: DIY Loudspeakers - 02/24/12 06:59 PM
Yeah, I dabble. But I'm not good enough at either cabinet making or soldering to really "enjoy the process" the way I want to. It's been a great learning experience, though. And I'm constantly amazed by the gracious, helpful approach of nearly everyone in that community.

I've built a couple pairs of small speakers, and am currently completely stuck for lack of enthusiasm on another project (Roman Bednarek's Microbe SE) for my daughter.

I have some other less-than-half-baked projects, too. I would be surprised if I didn't build a Frankensub at some point.

But, speaker building kind of followed homebrewing for me. At a certain point, the value proposition of the market intersected with my willingness to pay, and I no longer wanted to spend The Time On That.

I am also amused by looking at Craigslist for vintage gear. The gratification is much quicker.

Tell me about your subs.
Posted By: Adrian Re: DIY Loudspeakers - 02/24/12 09:32 PM
I bought some Peerless drivers from Parts Express that I'll be making some towers with once I get settled in my next house(lots of renos to do as well). I haven't chosen a tweeter yet but it'll likely be an SB Acoustics ring rad or possibly a Vifa ring rad. I'll be using a BBE DS48 active management system for the whole thing once it's built...all my stuff's in storage right now including tools. I'm looking at building an elliptical cabinet with either a veneer back or maybe carbon fibre(!) and a front of bookmatched Sucipira or African Acashi, solid baffle but only minimal thickness over mdf.

Also want to try a sub sometime utilizing a CSS or TC Sounds driver combined with a pro amp.
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: DIY Loudspeakers - 02/24/12 11:19 PM
A few years back, I built a sealed sub using an Adire Audio 15" Tempest and a Parts Express 500W BASH plate amp. The Tempest used to be one of the flag ship long excursion drivers available, but Adire has gone out of business. I imagine there are better options to be had now.

This sub plays very cleanly down to about 28Hz at any volume I can throw at it. I bought an EP350 figuring it would match better with my M60s, but quickly came back to my homemade sub. Anyone want to buy a 350?
Posted By: fredk Re: DIY Loudspeakers - 02/25/12 12:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
and a front of bookmatched Sucipira or African Acashi, solid baffle but only minimal thickness over mdf

Is this something that specialty wood producers can provide if you don't have the tools to do this yourself?

If I ever get around to building my own sub, I'd love to play with exotic wood facing on the front of a sub. I even had a couple of designs drawn up in Sketchup.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: DIY Loudspeakers - 02/25/12 01:00 AM
I saw that in my latest Parts Express flyer. Crazy if you ask me (that design looks to be compensating for something).

I am going to build a sub to be my 2nd sub for my home theater. I have the details, but need to get it built. Looks to try to duplicate the sound of my SVS sub. I have the amp, woofer (from Parts Express) and port tube. Need to get the MDF and such (it will be a box instead of a "sono-sub"...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: DIY Loudspeakers - 02/25/12 01:05 AM
When I was a kid, I put some 6X9 3-ways into little purchased boxes for my bedroom stereo. Does that count?

It was the only experience I ever had with 3-ways....
Posted By: Adrian Re: DIY Loudspeakers - 02/25/12 02:17 AM
[quote=fredk] Is this something that specialty wood producers can provide if you don't have the tools to do this yourself? [quote]

Fred, some suppliers of veneer should be able to set you up with bookmatched veneer although I feel that many of the veneers are quite expensive. Also, some of the very exotic woods are probably not available...whether it's because of demand or because of the difficulty in veneering some of these woods due to their hardness or grain structure, I'm not really sure. What I will likely do, is cut a strip or two of hardwood flooring in half (tall ways) and plane them down to 3/16 or so...each half would be bookmatched to the other of course. I have some strips of African Acashi left over from hardwood flooring my last house and I've recently purchased some Sucipira for my next house.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: DIY Loudspeakers - 02/25/12 03:22 AM
Joe,
how far are from Holbrook, MA?
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: DIY Loudspeakers - 02/25/12 03:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Lampshade
Joe,
how far are from Holbrook, MA?

About 3 hours...I'm in western CT near Danbury.
Posted By: INANE Re: DIY Loudspeakers - 02/28/12 05:15 AM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Yeah, I dabble. But I'm not good enough at either cabinet making or soldering to really "enjoy the process" the way I want to. It's been a great learning experience, though. And I'm constantly amazed by the gracious, helpful approach of nearly everyone in that community.

I've built a couple pairs of small speakers, and am currently completely stuck for lack of enthusiasm on another project (Roman Bednarek's Microbe SE) for my daughter.

I have some other less-than-half-baked projects, too. I would be surprised if I didn't build a Frankensub at some point.

But, speaker building kind of followed homebrewing for me. At a certain point, the value proposition of the market intersected with my willingness to pay, and I no longer wanted to spend The Time On That.

I am also amused by looking at Craigslist for vintage gear. The gratification is much quicker.

Tell me about your subs.

I haven't worked on any projects for over 5 years now. My sub shown here is the last thing I've put together. Those pictures are shown from my previous homes HT. Sadly I've now gone 3 years without a proper HT room. Anyway I'm usually pretty happy with the performance of what I build (considering the money spent) but I never really take the time to give them much of a finish. In the case of this sub I never got around to it at all. laugh

It's been so long I don't remember every detail about it but the driver is a 12inch Dayton and the plate amp is about 250W I think. I usually get my parts from Parts Express.

The performance of this sub is best suited for movies. I tuned it to 20hz and it really seems to do well with movie LFE material. My friend has an E600 and it doesn't really play much lower or louder than mine. It didn't turn out to be the most musical sub however. In the 20+ years I've built speakers subs are what I've enjoyed building the most. I've never had any issues getting them really loud or powerful or low. Being musical thou is what is hard and is where you get your monies worth buying professionally made IMO.

Once my new HT is built and get some of the toys I've been wanting for a long time (M80s) I'm going to sit down and decide if I can afford a couple subs (Axiom, SVS, HSU, etc) or more likely design two identicle DIY's. I'll probably start from scratch so not sure what I'd do with this old guy who weights a freaking ton BTW. I always felt bad taking the sledge to my car stereo sub boxes after they served their purpose.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: DIY Loudspeakers - 02/28/12 04:39 PM
That's cool, Ben. I like how you made that sub a column instead of a big box.

I like the concepts behind the Rythmik designs, and am considering going with one of their sealed 15's whenever I get the requisite levels of time, money and itch.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: DIY Loudspeakers - 02/28/12 04:50 PM
If I can get this house that I want, I'm going to build an infinite baffle from Rythmik parts.
Posted By: INANE Re: DIY Loudspeakers - 02/28/12 06:58 PM
I love looking at peoples IB projects. A friend of mine (on a serious budget) installed two 12 inch drivers in his ceiling!
© Axiom Message Boards