Axiom Home Page
Posted By: cb919 Where to buy an HT receiver in Canada? - 04/23/12 07:29 PM
Hey all,
I have a friend interested in picking up a 5.1 setup. I am helping him explore all options, but I hit a snag knowing where to buy HT receivers in Canada for a reasonable price. I've searched the forums but not much luck as most online sites seem to be set for delivery in the US. Any suggestions out there beyond just going into the B&M stores around? I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where to buy an HT receiver in Canada? - 04/23/12 07:56 PM
I bought my Denon at Audio Video Unltd locally. They had an excellent deal at the time including a free Denon BluRay player.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Where to buy an HT receiver in Canada? - 04/23/12 08:14 PM
Thanks Adrian, that's where I bought some of my stuff from as well. However I see the deals that can be had at accessories4less and places like that and I think we must have something similar on this side of the border - I just can't seem to find them.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Where to buy an HT receiver in Canada? - 04/24/12 11:20 PM
It's been my experience this side of the border a 10-20% discount a great deal, if you can get more than that it is OUTSTANDING. We just don't see the same discount shops up here.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Where to buy an HT receiver in Canada? - 04/24/12 11:40 PM
OK, so I am not missing anything obvious. I am still open to suggestions, but at least I am feeling better for only finding B&M pricing deals so far.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Where to buy an HT receiver in Canada? - 04/25/12 01:01 AM
FWIW, have a look at Visions Electronics, who only have stores in Western Canada, but will ship across the country. Some Onkyos look like pretty good prices to me at the moment.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Where to buy an HT receiver in Canada? - 04/25/12 01:09 AM
They are good prices but not like what is available out of the States. I have only been able to get a sales guy to come down an additional 10% on the 1009 Onkyo. They do offer a unique warranty plan in that the amount paid on the warranty is given back as store credit if the warranty is not used (there are some special terms). I currently have $429 to use by Dec. This is from a 4 yr warranty I never used on my first flat screen I bought back in 2007.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Where to buy an HT receiver in Canada? - 04/25/12 01:51 AM
Save a ton of cash and buy used gear.
Audiogon or Canuck Audio Mart.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Where to buy an HT receiver in Canada? - 04/25/12 10:24 AM
some months ago i bought a Marantz SR5005 while on sale at Stereo Plus.
the discount i got was 25%.
while their sales are on and a few days before, they advertise heavily in newpapers and on TV.
Crutchfield often has good deals. Amazon.ca also has decent prices. I happened to wander into my local audiotronics dealer and they had some NOS yamaha aventage RX-A1000 at half price that i picked up. Really nice reciever ,not missing anything i need. The lastest and greatest is not always necessary.I have bought from Visons and BestBuy online they often have good sales as well. Few others i cant think of atm but will post if they come to mind.

Electronics for less
Solutions AV - bought my oppo there good price.

Posted By: Adrian Re: Where to buy an HT receiver in Canada? - 04/25/12 07:49 PM
A few other places to try in Ontario, at least, are:

East Hamilton Radio
Trutone Electronics
Kromer Radio
Bay Bloor Radio
Telecity Electronics
© Axiom Message Boards