Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lampshade Home brewed coffee. - 04/28/12 07:39 PM
I use a 20 dollar GE drip coffee maker. I threw the screen filter away and use #2 paper filters. I carefully measure the water and the coffee.

I like Peet's French roast. I buy it ground from the grocery store but you can order it batch roasted, whole bean or ground however you want directly from Peet's.

It is really good. Other Peet's coffee I like are the House Blend and Major Dickinson's Blend.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/28/12 07:47 PM
I'm a fan of the William Spartivent Blue Mountain JAMAICAN. Picked up 3 bags recently from Costco and have had it in the past few years...packaging has changed to a chocolate brown (if you look it up on line at costco.ca)...amazing coffee...

Apparently this is another Axiomoes favorite as well...
Posted By: fredk Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/28/12 08:21 PM
If you can get hold of fresh roast whole beans, go for it.

Coffee quickly looses a lot of its flavour after it is ground.

I just got back from a local roaster with 4oz each of Kenya AA and Thailand peaberry. I had some Etheopian from them last week that was amazing. There was actually a hint of blackberry to the flavour. Yum!! You will never get this from a pre-ground or mass market coffee.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/28/12 08:35 PM
Bob's right: There are a lot of metro-sexuals here! grin
Posted By: fredk Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/28/12 09:25 PM
I don't use not wussy grinder. I crush those fresh beans with my bare teeth so there!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/28/12 10:31 PM
Well, don't get TOO proud.

It's not like you crush them between your testicles.
Posted By: fredk Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/28/12 11:08 PM
Tried that. Teeth give a better grind for a French press.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/28/12 11:15 PM
Testicles give better results as that area is not as warm as the mouth (heating up the coffee beans during the grinding process is not beneficial).
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 12:02 AM
Answer: six posts

Question: How many posts does it take for Lampshade's nice coffee thread to be dragged down into the gutter.

In retrospect, it never had a chance.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 12:15 AM
Well, Chris, it lasted longer than most threads. smile
Posted By: fredk Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy

... and not a single mention of hatracks. Oops.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 02:06 AM
Originally Posted By: fredk
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy

... and not a single mention of hatracks. Oops.

I'm gifting it to Bob.

I think he really wants it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 02:24 AM
Back on track. I mostly drink Peet's. I can appreciate the differences in quality and freshness between coffees, but as long as it doesn't taste watery or overly bitter, I'll drink it. I prefer it dark. My wife and I cut back a bit so we put the coffee maker away. We now make our coffee two cups at a time with a small cone filter that sits right on top of the cups. I never measure, just eyeball the amount in the filter and pour recently boiled water over it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 02:43 AM
We prefer light-medium roast. ~4T coffee for 2 mugs (ie ~24 oz water), ground in our burr grinder. We've (surprisingly) been really liking the 8 O'clock beans from the grocery store. Previously, we'd been buying Caribou beans. Their Columbian is really good.

Add a ton of sugar and a gallon of cream, and I'm happy.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 02:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C

Add a ton of sugar and a gallon of cream, and I'm happy.

After dinner one Christmas, years ago, my Grandma (who was in her late eighties at the time) watched me make a cup of coffee. I poured a generous amount of cream and copious amounts of sugar and Grandma remarked, "You're not making coffee, you're making syrup."

She drank her's black.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 10:48 AM
I just like a little Half & Half in my coffee. The worst is having other peoples coffee and they serve you milk with their coffee or when they say we don't have Half & Half, offer you whipping (35%) cream...uh, no thanks, I'll just drink it black instead.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 12:52 PM
I call it melted coffee ice cream.
Posted By: alan Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 01:27 PM
Absolutely! Only half and half will do, although lately I've found the 5% cream is pretty good. The 5% seems to be available only in Canada; I haven't found it in New York.

It's very annoying if you ask for cream and you're handed milk, or worse, that awful skim stuff.

Lately I prefer the Ethiopian Yurgachef beans, which I grind as needed. Don't refrigerate the beans, which dries them out.

Sugar ruins coffee, although I admit I used it until I was in my 30s.

I use a Krupps drip coffee maker with a reusable mesh filter. As a backup, I keep a pack of the Starbucks Instant Columbian, which is amazingly good, the only instant coffee I've found that's drinkable. It's expensive, but worth it if you happen to run out of beans.

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: michael_d Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 04:09 PM
Espresso here. One quad shot with some milk every morning, or I go through withdrawals.

I usually get my beans from Paradise Roasters. The Espresso Nuevo is the one I generally buy. They roast it and ship it out within a day of ordering, and send it in a flat rate box. http://www.paradiseroasters.com/categories/Coffee/Espresso/

I am currently trying a few different beans from Stumptown Roasters. They are OK, but nothing to write home about.

If you guys have not tried using an Aropress, you really ought to. Way better than a french press, quick and cheap. http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-...5691&sr=8-1
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 05:24 PM
What??
No Kopi Luwak drinkers?
Posted By: fredk Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 05:43 PM
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
What??
No Kopi Luwak drinkers?

If you buy it, I'll try it. grin I won't shell out for Blue Mountain let alone beans that have been pre-digested. Believe it or not, my local roaster actually has some.

Alan. That's the Ethiopian I tried last week. It has to be the first coffee I thought I could actually drink black. I'm hoping for similar things from the two varieties I picked up yesterday.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 07:03 PM
I just drink black, no additives Quick Trip, or the rot gut they have at work coffee.
Posted By: alan Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 08:57 PM
Fred, yes, I've had the Ethiopian black and it's good. When I run out of half & half and I don't want to go out, I have it black. I still prefer cream with it, of course.

I don't make Espresso at home, but when I go to theater or opera in the evening I get a single or double shot on the way to the theater so I won't nod off.

Alan
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/29/12 09:53 PM
Originally Posted By: alan

I don't make Espresso at home, but when I go to theater or opera in the evening I get a single or double shot on the way to the theater so I won't nod off.

Alan

That's what got me through a lot of my morning classes in college.
Posted By: 1sweetspot Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 02:09 AM
just made some espresso and a capp with Sumatran Lake Tawar from Green Mountain. Pretty good-dark and earthy.
Posted By: Steve H Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 11:48 AM
Originally Posted By: michael_d
If you guys have not tried using an Aropress, you really ought to. Way better than a french press, quick and cheap. http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-...5691&sr=8-1

Has anyone else tried one of these? I like a good cup of coffee but I'm too busy (lazy) to spend an hour prepping, pressing, and cleaning for it, so this could be what I'm looking for.
Any other recommendations for coffee makers?
Posted By: 1sweetspot Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 12:57 PM
I have not tried an Aeropress yet, but am looking forward to getting one to check it out.

For other coffee makers, Technivorm Moccamaster is a great drip machine, approved by SCAA (specialty Coffee Association of America)and the european equivalent because of the speed it brews a the consistent temperature during brewing. If you want super quick and easy, maybe try a Keurig.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 04:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve H

Has anyone else tried one of these? I like a good cup of coffee but I'm too busy (lazy) to spend an hour prepping, pressing, and cleaning for it, so this could be what I'm looking for.
Any other recommendations for coffee makers?

Steve - It is a wonderful device. Here's a few reviews... http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/aeropress
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 07:35 PM
I think that a cup of fresh, hot coffee in my home in the morning is one of life's great pleasures.

Cuisinart drip machine, Solis burr grinder. Mesh filter. Filtered WA (soft) water. Plenty of Columbian beans. Black.

We go through a fair amount of beans, so we've been buying the Costco Columbian, which is about $6-7/lb. They actually import the beans and roast them in Seattle, so they are quite good and fresh.

We occasionally try beans from other places (Sumatra, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Kenya, et. al). But for The Daily Cuppa, we just seem to prefer Columbian. It's nice to occasionally get a bag from one of the many local roasters, but they rarely seem worth the premium over the Costco beans.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 07:48 PM
has anyone ever tried A & P's own brand of coffee.
they used to sell it unground or ground.

i bought a pound sometime in the late 60's, brought it home, ground some and made myself a cup.

i took one sip or two, and promptly threw everything away.
it was horrible.
it was a light roast and many of the beans were still green;
it tasted very flat as if it had been ground and left on the kitchen counter for a week.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 08:02 PM
I hear ya, Tom. Gotta take the pleasures where you can.

Medic8r Manor coffee also hails from Costco. We had been using the Dunkin Donuts blend until I tried the store brand medium roast. I forget where it hails from. Kenya, maybe?

We also drip brew through a mesh filter. I, however, appreciate the syrup variety of coffee - as described by Sean's Gram - and am enjoying trying out all of the different flavored creamers that mimic the Starbucks offerings: dolce cinnamon latte, peppermint mocha, etc.

Man card? MAN CARD?!! I DON'T NEED NO STEENKIN' MAN CARD!!!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 08:11 PM
If you guys have not tried using an Aropress, you really ought to. Way better than a french press, quick and cheap. I made a linky!

Hey, cool, that press was invented by the same guy who invented the Aerobie! Love the Aerobie.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 08:18 PM
So, am I the only one who just uses a Krups K-cup?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 08:19 PM
Yes, because none of the rest of us are crazy enough to pay a dollar a cup for home brewed coffee.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 08:23 PM
.42¢.

Though I admit I don't like how un-green the process is.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Yes, because none of the rest of us are crazy enough to pay a dollar a cup for home brewed coffee.

Oh, SNAP!

Wait, Mark returned serve already. Apparently his cost is the answer - in cents - to life, the universe, and everything.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 08:25 PM
Joyce just corrected me.... we average about .50¢/cup.

Partial snappage.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 08:27 PM
You found better prices than we did when I was buying for work. Then again, I was paying a ton of dough because I didn't really care. I think we might have been hitting $2/cup.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 08:29 PM
Holy Crap!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 08:29 PM
Still, though....the prices seem artificially high (ummm....fixed) on K-cups.
Posted By: fredk Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: J. B.
has anyone ever tried A & P's own brand of coffee.
they used to sell it unground or ground.

i bought a pound sometime in the late 60's, brought it home, ground some and made myself a cup.

i took one sip or two, and promptly threw everything away.
it was horrible.
it was a light roast and many of the beans were still green;
it tasted very flat as if it had been ground and left on the kitchen counter for a week.

Problem 1: it was the 60s. Good coffee had not yet arrived in North America grin

From there it could have been the blend of beans. A lot of the cheaper (house) brands mix varying amounts of Robusta beans (high yield, not so good taste) into the mix and roast the crap out of it so you don't taste much coffee. They also use C grade beans, not the premium stuff. It all affects the flavour

Also, depending how long the beans sit for(months), they will lose a lot of of their flavour. Coffee snobs connoisseurs will tell you that 14 days post roast, your coffee has lost most of its flavour and should be thrown out.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 09:03 PM
K-Cups are convenient, but we'd go broke. Julie and I brew a 12 cup carafe in the morning and go through almost all of it every day. Coffeemaker cups are 5 oz, right? Why is that, again? I think of my daily dose as two cups, but they are big cups. wink
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 09:10 PM
We used to use a Krups 12-cup brewer, but I've really tried to cut down on my coffee drinking. Joyce only has one cup and I sometimes have one, but usually two in the morning. Oftentimes I'll have one full-strength, and a second one is either half-caf or decaf.

I guess that's where the convenience of the K-cups comes in...
Posted By: SBrown Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 09:34 PM
Hey Mark, try the Jet Fuel k-cup. It has an orange lid, that is a good cup!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 09:38 PM
Mark, apparently neither you nor JP need a man card.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 09:56 PM
I earn mine where it matters, buddy!

Well, no. I actually don't. But the line sounded good.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home brewed coffee. - 04/30/12 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: SBrown

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try it out!

Jet Fuel coffee, huh? THAT sounds man-card-worthy, doesn't it? smile
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Home brewed coffee. - 05/01/12 03:24 AM
When you guys say K-cups I'm thinking of something else.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Home brewed coffee. - 05/01/12 03:51 AM
I didn't think bra size letters went up that high.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Home brewed coffee. - 05/01/12 04:10 AM
When I close my eyes they do.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home brewed coffee. - 05/04/12 09:44 AM
Originally Posted By: SBrown

I ordered some Jet Fuel and really like it! Thanks for the tip! smile
Posted By: SBrown Re: Home brewed coffee. - 05/04/12 01:39 PM
No problem Mark, it is my favorite so far.
© Axiom Message Boards