Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ajax Music Video - 10/17/12 10:19 PM
That voice...wait for it...

Interested in all comments and thoughts. Like it? Hate it? What's wrong? What's right?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/17/12 10:46 PM
Is that Charles watching her from behind that tree?

I like her...a lot. All of them as a matter of fact!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Music Video - 10/18/12 01:23 AM
I like her and the group a lot, as well.

And that definitely was Charles.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/18/12 10:50 AM
Jack, I went to their website and am liking them more and more.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Music Video - 10/21/12 01:24 AM
Mesmerizing. Beautiful, honest, fun.

Great voices. I'd like a bit more tempo.

Very cool, Jack. Thank you very much!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/21/12 01:32 AM
I've replayed that a number of times in the last few days. I'm kind of crushing on her!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Music Video - 10/21/12 02:25 AM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Mesmerizing. Beautiful, honest, fun.

Great voices. I'd like a bit more tempo.

Very cool, Jack. Thank you very much!

AH! Trust in my friend Tom to "get it." It's not totally my cup-o-tea, but it is so honest. They set up one good mic, outside, no 16 channel mixer, no eq, no reverb, no compression. Then they just gather round the mic and let 'er rip. Nothing electronic to hide behind. You've either got it or you don't, and with a setup like that, it will be obvious which is the case. I enjoy big production, but IMHO, THAT is how music should be experienced and I greatly admire their courage, honesty, and integrity.

Mark, I'm so glad you are enjoying it. I am too.
Posted By: fredk Re: Music Video - 10/22/12 03:06 AM
Now I understand. Clean is the word I would have used. It's a really good recording.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Music Video - 10/22/12 03:21 AM
Agreed, Fred. Thanks for the good word. smile
Posted By: a401classic Re: Music Video - 10/22/12 11:21 AM
I could sit at a bar and listen to them for hours.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Music Video - 10/22/12 03:46 PM
Originally Posted By: a401classic
I could sit at a bar and or listen to them for hours.

Fixed that for ya.

Yes, like Mark, I found that exploring a bit more of their music made me like them even more. Wonderful arrangements!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/22/12 03:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Tom
I could sit at a bar and or listen to them watch her for hours.

Fixed that for both of 'ya.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Music Video - 10/22/12 04:01 PM
I really liked Hello? Goodye! which was written by the bass player.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/22/12 04:02 PM
I hadn't listened to that on my Mackies...it's certainly better sounding there than with my computer speakers.

It makes me want to order an EP500 and listen to it in my living room!
Posted By: a401classic Re: Music Video - 10/22/12 06:34 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Originally Posted By: Tom
I could sit at a bar and or listen to them watch her for hours.

Fixed that for both of 'ya.

I knew I should have had my reading glasses on when I watched the first time - thanks for the correction! laugh
Posted By: michael_d Re: Music Video - 10/23/12 07:26 PM
It was definitely Charles, I know because he wouldn't get out of my way.... Damn she's hot... Quite a voice too. I don't really enjoy that type of music, but I certainly appreciate their talent. I bet they are very enjoyable to watch live in a small venue.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/23/12 07:51 PM
I keep thinking I want to order some of their music. Even though I wouldn't get to look at her, I think the music would make good demo material....especially with that nice stand-up bass.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/23/12 09:28 PM
It's strange that Charles didn't sniff his way to this thread....
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Music Video - 10/23/12 09:52 PM
I'm diggin' 'em too.

Fleetwood Mac's Second Hand News

On Mountain Stage

Got Me Fooled

There are a few more on YouTube. Great stuff. Thanks for pointing them out!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/23/12 10:40 PM
I'm liking this one a lot: Lake Street Dive - It's Funny Not to Care .

In January, they're playing at a place I can conveniently attend...so maybe I'll go see them to make Mike jealous. smile
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/23/12 10:50 PM
And an old video of Rachael Price before Lake Street Dive.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Music Video - 10/23/12 11:25 PM
You'd better go, Mark. I totally would. I keep staring at their events list hoping to see an upcoming trip to the Northwest.

And yeah, "I'll just play the chair" on Second Hand News is hilarious.

I'm pretty sure I'm in love with Rachael Price. I might like her solo/quartet jazz standard stuff even more than the LSD material.

Gosh, it is exhilarating to find new music to love. Thanks, Jack!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/24/12 12:02 AM
You weren't here for a couple of days. That means I loved her first.

Seriously, shouldn't Charles be out-stalking you and I with his years of experience?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/24/12 12:05 AM
And Tom, they already were in your neck of the woods.

BTW, this one is good too.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Music Video - 10/24/12 12:06 AM
I don't think we need Charles for this one.

Plenty of stalkers already.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/24/12 12:10 AM
I think Rachael can take Grace and several Potters. smile
Posted By: Ajax Re: Music Video - 10/24/12 12:35 AM

I absolutely loved this one. WOW! Really shows off what a beautiful voice she has.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/24/12 12:40 AM
Jack, it's time to be clear: Did you love her even before I?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Music Video - 10/24/12 12:40 AM
And yeah, "I'll just play the chair" on Second Hand News is hilarious.

They were having so much fun doin' that number. It was shot backstage and they were just foolin' around. Imagine sounding that good just foolin' around.

Gosh, it is exhilarating to find new music to love. Thanks, Jack!

Yes, it is. So glad you, and others, are enjoying them.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Music Video - 10/24/12 12:41 AM
Jack, it's time to be clear: Did you love her even before I?

Actually the field is open. She's not really my type but I really enjoy her work with the group.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Music Video - 10/24/12 12:44 AM
Oh, dude, you did NOT go there. wink

Did you see just how hippie/green "pickathon" is? I wouldn't have lasted ten minutes there. And that's "close" to me like Albany is close to you.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Music Video - 10/24/12 01:32 AM
Wikipedia entry on Price.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Music Video - 10/24/12 01:41 PM

Anyone ever heard Cat Power? Not sure why, but Price kinda reminds me of her.... (I have a few of their albums)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVGgGW1ZalY
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Music Video - 10/25/12 05:14 AM
Yes, I've got a couple of her albums. Really enjoy her voice.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/25/12 01:34 PM
I just ordered the Lake Street Dive self-titled album on CDBaby. It's back-ordered, so maybe the band is blowing up! smile

I've used CDBaby before to order a high school friend's Jazz CD and found them a pleasure to deal with.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/25/12 01:40 PM
What do you guys recommend for Cat Power CDs?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Music Video - 10/25/12 02:00 PM

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/25/12 04:57 PM
Coincidentally, Lake Street Dive was just interviewed and performed on my local NPR affiliate, New Hampshire Public Radio.

Honestly, I didn't think it was as great as I had hoped, but thought I'd share the link anyway in case someone else was interested.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Music Video - 10/25/12 06:15 PM

Jukebox would be one to try. If you don't like that one, you probably won't like the others too much. I have there new one on order, "Sun". Not sure if I'm going to like it, as it sounds kinda Pop in comparison to her previous work....
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 10/25/12 11:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Mike!

I just ordered tix to see Lake Street Dive. I've never heard of the venue, though they're under 10 minutes from where Joyce and I grew up and 5 minutes from where we first lived when we got married. It looks like they have some good shows, and it looks like the perfect venue for some of these artists! Wish I could see 'Keb 'Mo on Monday!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Music Video - 10/26/12 03:15 AM
I'm envious. Have a great time!
Posted By: a401classic Re: Music Video - 10/26/12 11:20 AM
I can't believe they're not playing in New Orleans. They'd go over well down here.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 11/09/12 11:35 PM
Lake Street Dive did a fun Halloween video that Jack ought to like.

This newer song is one of my favorites from them.

I have tix for Joyce, her sister and myself for early January in a small art museum. smile
Posted By: Ajax Re: Music Video - 11/10/12 02:27 AM
Lake Street Dive did a fun Halloween video that Jack ought to like.

INDEED! I wish they would do a few more Mama's & Papa's tunes. Good stuff.

This newer song is one of my favorites from them.

OOOOOOO! She's wearing black underwear. Be still my heart.

I have tix for Joyce, her sister and myself for early January in a small art museum. smile

Have a great time, Mark. I'm so happy to have turned you on to a group you are enjoying.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 01/02/13 07:03 PM
I have my Lake Street Dive performance on Friday, and looking at future shows at the venue, just bought tickets to see Tab Benoit there in February.

I'm psyched!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Music Video - 01/02/13 09:23 PM
Be sure to let us know how it went.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 01/09/13 03:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Ajax
Be sure to let us know how it went.

I had never been to the venue before; it's an art gallery in a mill district in a city near where I used to live.... a city that no one particularly likes. Joyce and I were going to open a photography studio there and we would likely have done very well, but neither of us liked the city beforehand, and living there for a couple of years after we were married did nothing to change our mind.

The venue was nice, though. Two hundred and fifty seats when full. The acoustics were pretty good and the sound system was just installed the previous year. I sat center-stage, about 20' back and the show was sold out.

I didn't realize that there was an opening act.... Plume Giant... and I was impressed. Very folksy, which I'm not normally into. But the trio had a great vibe and were very impressive musicians, trading instruments among each other and harmonizing very well. After their performance, I bought the EP and LP they had available in the lobby. Having listened to each several times since, my impression hasn't changed: I really like them. This seems pretty typical of them, though the sound quality isn't great on this clip.

Lake Street Dive's performance gave me a much better appreciation of them as musicians. I don't think anyone who read the above posts couldn't figure out that I have a bit of a crush on Rachael....and her voice didn't disappoint. What surprised me is how much I learned to appreciate everyone else. Mike Calabrese wasn't just a "drummer", he really is a percussionist extraordinaire. Often playing the drum kit one handed to keep a tambourine in one hand, or sometimes playing drums with both hands while still holding and playing the tambourine, he was just fantastic. What I didn't expect based upon the YouTube clips and their studio releases, is that he's a very dynamic and fast drummer. Actually, the band as a whole was much more dynamic and...if this makes sense... very tight and yet very loose at the same time.

Bassist Bridget Kearney, who only plays an upright acoustic bass, had some fantastic solos.

And Mike Olson, who plays trumpet and guitar, sounded much better live as well. For several songs, his rhythm guitar had an aggressive "bite" that isn't on the studio recordings.

I know it shouldn't be hard to appreciate musicians on their studio albums when there are only four in the band, yet I kept thinking that all of them had distinct traits and individually had great talent which was much more apparent live. Yet together, it was just like watching four long-term friends hanging out. Tight, yet loose.

And having met them before the show, were all very easy going, casual people.

It was a fun show. I'm going to keep their calendar in mind as I'd like to catch them again.

Speaking of which, I see Plume Gint has an upcoming date in Cleveland and LSD has a couple of Washington State shows in March.

Thanks again, Jack, for bringing them to our attention!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Music Video - 01/09/13 04:28 AM
WOW! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am SO glad both acts exceeded your expectations.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Music Video - 03/21/13 01:18 AM
I have my Lake Street Dive performance on Friday, and looking at future shows at the venue, just bought tickets to see Tab Benoit there in February.

I'm psyched!

LSD is finally coming to New Orleans April 17! Have to make a serious attempt at getting there - it's on a Wednesday...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Music Video - 03/21/13 01:34 AM
Oh, I think LSD has been in New Orleans for awhile now.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Music Video - 03/21/13 10:35 AM
Hey Tom, they are playing in Seattle on Saturday.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Music Video - 03/21/13 09:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Music Video - 03/22/13 02:40 AM
I will be in Columbus. frown
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Music Video - 03/23/13 02:36 AM
I'll be on LSD tomorrow night. Coincidentally, I'll possibly be in Columbus, too.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 03/29/13 11:53 PM
LSD has a new sidewalk video.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Music Video - 04/18/13 11:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C

And I think they'll be coming back. I had the privilege of being at their first New Orleans appearance. The Circle Bar is a very intimate setting. An old house turned bar. The area where the band set up was no more than 15' x 30' with the bar at the end of the long end. The crowd was well under 100. A buddy and I actually sat ON the bar as we got squeezed out of our seats. At that I was no more than 15' away from the first mic and 5-6 people back. They are everything Mark (and Jack) said they were, so I won't even try to improve on their comments.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 04/18/13 11:34 AM
Glad you had a chance to see them, Scott!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Music Video - 04/18/13 01:52 PM
Envious!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Music Video - 04/18/13 02:23 PM
They're coming to a waterfront park in Portsmouth, NH for a free show on July 3rd, so Joyce and I are planning on seeing them again.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Music Video - 04/18/13 11:19 PM
Envious!

Hey! I notdrunk texted you. Unfortunately, my camera doesn't have a flash, otherwise I'd have sent a pic.

They are worth making the time to go see.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Music Video - 04/18/13 11:35 PM
Yeah, I've just been envious since last night instead of this morning when you posted here. wink

I really like them a lot. The only solace I have from missing the Seattle show is that they were opening for Josh Ritter, so it wouldn't have been a full, satisfying LSD set. I'll find them some time, hopefully before Rachael gets the restraining order fully processed.
© Axiom Message Boards