Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 12:16 AM
What happened to the "Full Metal Bracket"?

I'm this close (holding my fingers REALLY close together) to getting a pair of M2i's to throw in the rear of my room. I'll need something to mount them to my walls. I may even just say screw the credit card bills, and get the QS8's at the same time and finally finish off my 7.1 system!

Anyone here use the FMB? Are they any better than the $25 plastic jobbies I can pick up at Best Buy? Are they easy to use? Do I need to mount screws directly into a stud?

I live in an apartment and don't want to destroy my walls. I have zero experience with wall mounting anything more than a picture frame hook.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 02:29 AM
Even if you make holes mounting them. just get some spackle and fill in the holes and then a lil paint and nobody will ever know.If its textred wall they even sell spray textre in a spray paint can.
Posted By: ZeN Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 03:08 AM
I just put my QS8's up with the FMB - was a little confusing as they came with no mounting hardware But thats what I get for ordering out of the "outlet"

I just bought some screws from Home Depot - was going to use drywall hangers to mount, but figured that studs are always better than drywall - so took the extra time to find them. In the end, it was well worth the extra time as I'm not at all worried that they will fall.

They are very sturdy little jobbers - adjustable to a degree (up/down and left/right) and felt very secure once I tightened everything down.

If you can hang a picture, then this shouldnt be too much harder.
Posted By: twopecker Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 03:14 AM
spiff!

why dont you post some pics of your apt setup? Has fellow apartment dweller (unfortunately), I like to see what different people do for a nice home theatre/stereo setup. Its easy if you have a 15'x18' room in your house thats fair play, you have to be a little more creative in a cramped apt though!
Posted By: sushi Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 05:33 AM
In reply to:

was going to use drywall hangers to mount, but figured that studs are always better than drywall - so took the extra time to find them.

hehe... Did you get an electronic stud finder? It is almost as valuable as a front projector, IMO.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 05:40 AM
he ain't online, so I'll link a pic for ya.

This is the pic from the Axiom Wall-o-Fame:

Posted By: ZeN Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 05:44 AM
LOL no - I come from the school of pound and pray (Father ZeN's teachings)

Found the stud on my first shot though! Both times!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 05:50 AM
no knuckle testers out there? If you knock horizontally along the wall for any given 3 foot section, the area that sounds the least hollow is most likely where the stud is.
Posted By: ZeN Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 05:52 AM
Yeah, I call it "pound and pray" - its funnier (well, to me anyway!)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 05:52 AM
Here's a better link to his web page.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 06:14 AM
Dang guys, thanks for helping me out with the pics. I was out playing tennis all night! (If yer interested I won, 6-1, 6-0)

There's no need for the FMB for the QS8's right? I see in the pics of the QS8's in the store that they look like there's some sort of mounting device that must attach to the wall, then the QS8's clip/hang on to that? There's no pic of the actual hardware though.

btw...those Polk surrounds are hanging by a picture frame hook. A little SoCal earthquake and those puppies are going to come crashing down. !!! (I promise my Axiom's will be hung MUCH safer!)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 06:18 AM
I get it now. When I read 'pound and pray' the first time, I pictured you knocking holes in the wall with a hammer. Now THAT would be funny.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 06:20 AM
You're correct about the QS8's. All QS speakers come with a mounting bracket. You mount that to the wall first, then you slip the QS speaker so it's built-in tabs slip over the bracket.
Posted By: ZeN Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 07:46 AM
The only thing about those brackets - they dont allow for the use of bannana plugs.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 07:52 AM
Bare wire is fine for surrounds (some say even for mains). If you screw it down tight enough, it won't even oxidize that much.
Posted By: Frenchlop Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 11:04 AM
I have a FMB and it is very sturdy. I also used it on the QS8. I am very happy with it.
Posted By: mwc Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 11:51 AM
You kicked ass in that match! What level do you play on?
Posted By: mwc Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 12:03 PM
Check out the Tennis trophies! Alright Spiffnme!!!
Posted By: curtis Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 02:40 PM
Great win spiff....

When I was on my college team, we called a win like that a "fishstick and a bagel".
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 03:21 PM
I guess I'm getting to be around a USTA 3.5 level. I'm playing "up" this weekend in our big annual tournament. I'll be playing the "B" tier. I doubt I'll do very well in singles at that level, but my partner and I have a good chance of winning a few rounds in doubles. (He and I won the "C" level doubles two years in a row, so it's time to move on up to the "B's"

Curtis - If you were playing in college, I'm sure you'd kick my butt! (Though I'd love to play if you're interested) I just started playing about 4 1/2 years ago. It's sad to hear people call Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras "old men". They're nearly my age!
Posted By: mwc Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 04:02 PM
Spiffnme,

You say "I doubt I'll do very well in singles at that level". I say, keep a positive attitude and even though you are playing "up", its not up to you to prove that you can beat them, its up to them to prove that they can beat you.

The point is, don't beat yourself before the match starts by thinking that you don't have a chance. Force them to hit the good shots. Good luck!

mwc,USPTA
Posted By: curtis Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 04:59 PM
spiff...I thought I told you I played at the college level and some pro...and even taught. I have not played "real" tennis in almost 8 years. I am thinking about picking up the racket again, so might take you up on your offer....we can play for audio equipment pink slips. I like that Rotel equipment of yours!

I met Pete Sampras when he was a little guy, he is from my neighborhood, swinging the racket with both hands on the backside...back then everyone said he was going to be great.
Posted By: curtis Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 05:31 PM
I agree with everything mwc says.

If YOU don't give your self a chance...then you will never have one.

Jimmy Connors said "when I am not playing well, I do whatever I can to stay on the court as long as I can."
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 06:16 PM
Hey...I'm not considering the match a loss already. In fact, I've been playing REALLY well the last week or so (for me anyways). I'm looking forward to seeing how my singles match goes.

Curtis - you should hit with my bf. I'll gladly hit with you, but you're certainly out of my league! He's closer to a 5.0. Though i guess you're more like 6.0 or better, no?
Posted By: curtis Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 06:52 PM
In reply to:

Though i guess you're more like 6.0 or better, no?

Many years ago....yes. The last time I officially had an NTRP rating was in 1993(I think) with a 5.5. I was playing once a week, and had to get the rating to play team tennis for the club I belonged to.

Spiff, take some lessons and tennis workout sessions. Then try a local tournament. My guess is you will improve fairly quickly in the beginning, then it does taper off and will require more time and effort.

When I'm ready to get out and hit some...I will definitely let you guys know.

-curtis
Posted By: sushi Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 07:17 PM
Craig,

Sorry to digress from the tennis stuff, but what the heck is that round thing on top of your Rotel amp? Also, where is the other Rotel amp you list in your profile?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 09:46 PM
I play 2-3 times per week. I'm in a team tennis league which plays every Wednesday night. Plus I usually play some matches on our leagues "challenge ladder". Sunday afternoons I've been praticing with my doubles partner.

As far as formal lesson go, I took a few group lessons at UCLA for a little while, but most of my lessons have come from my bf.

Some friends and I have been talking about going in together on some semi-private/small group lessons together. 3-4 of us with a pro for an hour or two per week.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 09:48 PM
That round thing is a little tealight candle holder. The pictures were taken before I got the second amp. I need to take some new pics.

Back to tennis...Andre just won his first round match 6-1, 6-2, 6-2...
Posted By: curtis Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 10:27 PM
spiff...that's great! Once your fundamentals are sound.....it is pretty much a mind game after that.

I see Michael Chang just announced his retirement. His brother kicked my a** in 1986.....if I remember, it was two fishsticks.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 10:35 PM
TOTALLY a mind game. My confidence was sky high last night, and I was knocking off shots that amazed myself. Why I hit a topspin one handed backhand winner - you KNOW I'm feeling good.
Posted By: Zarak Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 10:57 PM
Where do you people find these leagues? I'd love to find one to play in in the Philly area.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 11:01 PM
Check with the USTA.

http://www.network.usta.com/publish.sps?syndicatorguid={9507239E-BCCC-4722-BF3F-2334F69A1B21}&rmasiteinstanceguid={56408F0E-752F-45A3-9515-898ADDF9EF4E}&rmapageid=25&sectionid=3518

Sorry for the unruly link, but it should help you.
Posted By: Zarak Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 11:17 PM
Thanks Spiff...I sent an email to my local person...we'll see what happens.
Posted By: mwc Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/26/03 11:27 PM
Spiff is right. USTA team tennis can be great fun. You should also check with your local municipal facility and local area Tennis Association to see what sorts of USTA programs they have going on. You might find them in the Yellow Pages.

I hear that court time in your part of the country is kind of expensive.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/27/03 12:19 AM
OK...well I've gone and done it.

M2i's and QS8's will be arriving soon. (Am I really testing my bf's patience or what?) That COMPLETES my speaker purchases!

Yeah!!!! When everything arrives and is setup I'll post new pics.

btw...Amie had some QS8's in the "outlet" that weren't on the website. If you're looking for outlet deals, drop them an email - it seems that not everything gets advertised on the site!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/27/03 12:59 AM
I suppose the only thing left to upgrade is your TV then, right?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/27/03 01:25 AM
TV then DVD player. If I get a rockin' TV, I'm going to want a rockin' dvd player. TV is definately next on the list though. Even now it seems odd to watch a dvd and have HUGE sound and a little bitty screen. BF still wants a big plasma on the wall, but I'm trying to talk him out of it. The good part is that if he wants a big plasma, talking him into a big LCoS shouldn't be too hard - since it'll be cheaper!
Posted By: sushi Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/27/03 02:15 AM
In reply to:

That round thing is a little tealight candle holder.

Does it improve the sound quality? Did you do a double-blind test?

In reply to:

TV is definately next on the list though.

You know what I am going to say...
Posted By: Zarak Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/27/03 02:58 AM
I usually play outdoors, so it's free. Indoors I'd guess is in the $20-$30 an hour range. What is it around there?
Posted By: mwc Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/27/03 03:20 AM
It depends on where you play. There are some public courts available for free but the courts and nets are usually crappy. At the public "Tennis Centers" you can get court time for anywhere between $1-$5 per 1 1/2 hours depending on how affluent the neighborhood is . Indoor courts are about $25.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/27/03 07:40 AM
Courts in LA are usually about $8/hr

But I'm lucky in that my bf works at UCLA. We get to make reservations at the UCLA Tennis Center. The nicest courts in LA...for free!
Posted By: mwc Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/27/03 11:49 AM
What a deal!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What happened to the FMB? - 08/29/03 04:01 PM
They just arrived! My QS8's and M2i's are here!
© Axiom Message Boards