Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Bryston - 02/13/13 02:33 AM
So I decided to check out Brystons website last nite eek I was looking at the SP3, that is until I found out the price a mere 7300.00 ouch and no room correction. Then I came across the the Model T which appears similar to the LFR's , which led me to the Model T mini. The Bryston name really elevates the prices of a Axiom made speaker.Nice looking speaker though, would love to hear one. Too bad axiom doesn't go this route.

$2500 for a 3 way are you kiddin me. I wouldn't pay that for a real 3 Way wink grin
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Bryston - 02/13/13 02:40 AM
I don't understand in what way it's "too bad Axiom doesn't go this route"

You want them to make more expensive speakers?

If you're talking about a small 3 way, Ian has tested all manner of driver configurations over the years, and I trust that if he could produce something "better" than an M22 in a similar form factor, he would.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Bryston - 02/13/13 02:49 AM
Good sound can come from many configurations and box designs. The Bryston just looks classier, as one would expect for an upscale brand. And honestly I don't like the white drivers, there I said it grin They have to look as good as they sound.
Posted By: INANE Re: Bryston - 02/13/13 04:43 AM
I don't think Axiom make the sexiest speaker in the world but the one in the picture above is no better.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Bryston - 02/14/13 01:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Socketman
So I decided to check out Brystons website last nite eek I was looking at the SP3, that is until I found out the price a mere 7300.00 ouch and no room correction. Then I came across the the Model T which appears similar to the LFR's , which led me to the Model T mini. The Bryston name really elevates the prices of a Axiom made speaker.Nice looking speaker though, would love to hear one. Too bad axiom doesn't go this route.

$2500 for a 3 way are you kiddin me. I wouldn't pay that for a real 3 Way wink grin

According to Bryston they are not the same midrange and bass drive units that are in Axiom models - improved driver material (less cone resonances than aluminum) and robust motor structures. The bass drivers are 8". Not to mention it has a different cabinet and would have a different crossover. All in all it is a different speaker.

Nice looking speaker too.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Bryston - 02/14/13 05:11 PM
they have axiom make custom drivers for the speakers. The drivers in the Model T's are not off the shelf axiom drivers... there is a model T thread on the audiocircle forum, and James goes into a little detail on what changes were made to the drivers... the Bryston cabinets are of a more complicated design as well, so manufacturing costs will be slightly higher... The Bryston fit and finish will likely be superior to Axiom's. This comes at a significant cost....

Keep in mind Axioms philosophy when comparing their product to others, even Bryston.. Axiom is a value product.. through and through.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Bryston - 02/14/13 08:44 PM
Originally Posted By: dakkon
they have axiom make custom drivers for the speakers. The drivers in the Model T's are not off the shelf axiom drivers... there is a model T thread on the audiocircle forum, and James goes into a little detail on what changes were made to the drivers... the Bryston cabinets are of a more complicated design as well, so manufacturing costs will be slightly higher... The Bryston fit and finish will likely be superior to Axiom's. This comes at a significant cost....

Keep in mind Axioms philosophy when comparing their product to others, even Bryston.. Axiom is a value product.. through and through.

Yup , all that is true . I have followed along at audio circle and I know this was a special project that James has done with axiom. I think axiom could have done a upscale line easily. They did make the LFR's which aren't exactly inexpensive. There seems to be plenty of people here that jump on the upgrade wagon when a new and improved model is released (myself included). As for the price, I suppose R&D has to be figured in as well. Still think it is a classy looking speaker, just out of my reach. grin
Posted By: Cohesion Re: Bryston - 02/15/13 12:22 AM
With all respect to Bryston I think most of the 'differences' amount to marketing and product differentiation. There aren't really off the shelf Axiom drivers - Ian makes them as he likes them!
Posted By: dakkon Re: Bryston - 02/15/13 01:35 AM
There is a lot more to the Model T's as far as the size of the cabinet ect. they are much larger speakers..

However, i think the LFR's are a better value.. Which is why i bought them....
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Bryston - 02/15/13 03:06 AM
Looking at the Model T ,they really aren't like the LFR's they don't have the extra drivers on the back. The have internal and external passive crossover as well as a multi amp active crossover. Your right they are huge and must be damn heavy with a 1.5 inch thick front baffle. Sometimes I really hate living in the sticks. LOL . I would love to be able to audition some of these speakers as well as some other brands for comparison. C'mon lottery .
Posted By: casey01 Re: Bryston - 02/15/13 03:17 AM
Somehow I have the feeling no matter the model of the speaker and considering its reputation and the price of their equipment, it just doesn't seem feasible that Bryston would be offering a pair of speakers for $500. Unfortunately, sometimes we can get fooled.

Over the years, I, personally, have spent money, probably needlessly, on several center channel speakers. The most expensive one of the bunch that I have purchased(and the smallest) was from "Totem"($1000), a well known, so-called, high-end speaker company from Montreal. The verdict, of all that I have purchased, it was the LEAST impressive of the bunch and ultimately, doesn't even remotely compare to the VP160 or 180 both of which we know sell for considerably less money. It is residing in the archive of center channel speakers in my basement.

I guess the moral of the story here, is just because it is a lot more expensive and might "look" a little better, doesn't mean it is going to sound better and sometimes not even as good as what you already have.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Bryston - 02/15/13 11:16 AM
Nicely said!
Posted By: dakkon Re: Bryston - 02/16/13 12:40 AM
Originally Posted By: casey01

I guess the moral of the story here, is just because it is a lot more expensive and might "look" a little better, doesn't mean it is going to sound better and sometimes not even as good as what you already have.

I have said this about the B&W's in my bedroom.. They sound just about the same as the Axiom's.. The only difference is the fit and finish of the cabinetry and the drivers... But there is about a 10 fold markup for these aesthetics...

I bought the B&W's because i wanted them...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Bryston - 02/16/13 01:18 AM
Strange, I bought my Axioms because someone put a gun to my head. That's why I usually buy things. Are you saying that most people don't have this experience?
Posted By: dakkon Re: Bryston - 02/16/13 01:49 AM
no, i guess im saying it was an irrational purchase, and i did it anyhow smile
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Bryston - 02/16/13 01:53 AM
I bragged about laying into you in that post to my wife, and she said "But someone DOES have to hold a gun to your head because you'd never buy anything if they didn't!"

She's right.

Heh.
© Axiom Message Boards