Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d Driving through Canada question - 06/21/13 07:27 PM
It's been probably 20 years or more since I last travelled through Canada, to get to Alaska. Canada has since tightened up on who is allowed to enter the country, and some of the boarder crossing regs look to have changed as well. I was looking at this web page, and I am finding some things open to interpretation. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

I was going to buy a new truck and custom built enclosed car hauler in the lower 48. Pricing is considerably better on both. A lot of Alaskans do this. It is not uncommon. I'll probably load the trailer up with some things I can't readily buy in Alaska, or is large and expensive to ship. I also wanted to pick up a few bottles of Canadian Whiskey that is not exported.

Problem is, the dealership will not confirm the sale of the truck unless the buyer is physically present to sign the documents. This means the truck would have a temporary paper registration. Same with the trailer, a temp registration, as I will not pay for it unless I can verify they built what I ordered.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly I need to transit through the country before I get to the boarder. It would really suck to get that far and be told I can't transit through the country.

Is there a better source that will actually detail the requirements for transit through the country? Or better yet, a phone number with a live person on the other end of the line that could answer my questions?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Driving through Canada question - 06/21/13 07:37 PM
So, you don't want to just take the ferry from Bellingham, then?

laugh
Posted By: michael_d Re: Driving through Canada question - 06/21/13 08:51 PM
I have always wanted to take that trip Tom, but not with an oversized truck and trailer. The inside passage is supposed to be quite pretty.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Driving through Canada question - 06/21/13 10:02 PM
Hi, Michael. I'd give Canada Customs a call first to explain what you are doing, it may just be a form to fill out(ahead of time?), kind of like an "in transit" purchase.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Driving through Canada question - 06/22/13 03:54 PM
I would add to that, declare everything at the borders. If you have a case of whiskey, keep your receipts where you got it, pay the duties accordingly, be upfront.

Most times the border guards aren't like the stories you hear in the papers. Think of how many people go through our borders everyday that don't have issues.
Two buddies of mine go down to Grand Forks to get less expensive bottles of wine. They come back with over 200 bottles (100 each) and over $700 worth.
They pay the duties, no problem.
Border let's them on through.

"is that for personal consumption?; Yep; Ok, move along..."
Posted By: michael_d Re: Driving through Canada question - 06/22/13 10:05 PM
Thanks for tips and input guys. Well all but Bob anyway.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Driving through Canada question - 06/23/13 12:59 AM
Originally Posted By: michael_d
Thanks for tips and input guys. Well all but Bob anyway.

That's me....Cam....speaking the truth.
Posted By: Ian Re: Driving through Canada question - 06/23/13 12:32 PM
Cam, we removed your post because of complaints received. Not trying to single you out here; just want to remind everyone not to taint a great community spirit that we have here; of which a minimal amount of censorship is important.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Driving through Canada question - 06/25/13 04:33 AM
Cam, my young man, welcome to the club! You DO KNOW that when someone presses the "screaming body snatchers" button, a flashing red strobe light and blaring siren erupt simultaneously on the ceiling above Ian and Aimee's bed.
Just remember that the next time you push the "WWBD" button.

And if you don't PM me a copy of what got deleted, I'm tellin' everyone that you're just too lazy to do crap for yourself.
© Axiom Message Boards