Axiom Home Page
Posted By: cb919 Computer Monitor Comparison - 07/31/13 04:14 PM
All,
If you were considering various computer monitors for a particular application, how do you typically go about comparing them to make sure you are getting the one that is best for the application? Since (like our HT monitors) all have various presets, how do you make sure you are comparing apples to apples instead of getting a biased result from poorly to well calibrated monitors? I am thinking you photographers out there will have some advice.

Of course there is a ton of info on the www, but I'd be interested in any real world suggestions and feedback to help me weed through the onslaught of info and web sites.

Also, I have heard a suggestion that side by side comparison is not the way to go, but to approach each monitor individually and record impressions that way. I don't see the logic there, but curious if anybody has experience there as well.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 07/31/13 05:16 PM
I buy the cheap one. But, you know, Excel doesn't give a sh!t.

I'm intrigued by the IPS Monitors at Monoprice but just because I like to buy stuff from them.

I'm sure the geek squad will be along shortly with something that more closely resembles "help".

Cheers, Dan.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 07/31/13 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I'm sure the geek squad will be along shortly with something that more closely resembles "help".

Or, CatBrat will be along shortly with something that closely resembles "humor".

J/K, Brian. We loves ya. wink
Posted By: cb919 Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 07/31/13 08:45 PM
Tom, your current post count is a cool 7777, savor the moment. Thanks for the help - NOT! grin
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 07/31/13 09:25 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r

Or, CatBrat will be along shortly with something that closely resembles "humor".

Hmmm well at least I'm getting close. Gotta do something to decrease the boredom. (Yawn)
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 07/31/13 09:27 PM
I look for:

A wide gamut (several percent greater coverage than NTSC), that's gotten pretty easy with LED back lights.

IPS

16:10 ratio (16:9 is just too short for its width)

Other than that, there's not much to worry about, because there's only an handful of IPS makers, and they're all turning out the same stuff. Those Monoprice ones do look interesting.

Oh, and my next monitor will have to have a DisplayPort input, but I don't have one yet.
Posted By: fredk Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 07/31/13 11:39 PM
I'm quite impressed with the Philips IPS display I picked up last year.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 12:53 AM
I've been generally happy with Dell Ultrasharps, but if you're doing anything where color matters, you'll need to calibrate them.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 02:07 AM
It doesn't matter what monitor you get, $100 or $10,000, if you're doing anything where color matters, you'll need to calibrate it.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 02:08 AM
No, I take that back.

If you're going to be looking at your monitor, calibrate it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 02:09 AM
Agreed.

Not that I've calibrated any of my monitors of late, but...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 04:43 AM
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon

IPS

16:10 ratio (16:9 is just too short for its width)

Agreed. These were the two main points I looked for on a monitor. Well, that and price. The IPS panels get pricey quick.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 10:30 AM
another one that can be considered is the HP LP2475w;
which i have had for a few years now and find to be quite good.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 10:51 AM
I had one of those too. Nice monitor. Not big enough.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 12:45 PM
re the HP LP2475w, you can read a good review here:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

and, on this page can be found lots of pro monitor reviews:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 01:00 PM
Originally Posted By: J. B.
re the HP LP2475w, you can read a good review here:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

and, on this page can be found lots of pro monitor reviews:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm

Cool, J.B., I was just thinking about posting that link to TFT Central. Used that site quite a bit when researching monitors.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 01:29 PM
Hi guys, thanks for all of the responses. Rather than recommendations on specific models, I was hoping to get some insight on calibration and comparison techniques between monitors. This is more about the process and technique.

I was trying to keep it simple, but for background this is for a work application of reviewing ultrasound & CT images primarily. We must use a touch screen interface and have somewhat limited suppliers to choose from. We are not dealing with standard Dell, Logitech etc... We have some samples in house with more coming and I am looking to make sure that when we review our various options that 1)we are making a fair comparison between them (i.e. they are calibrated correctly - apples to apples) and 2) we are using an objective as possible evaluation, be that specific test patterns images etc...

All samples we are evaluating are already designed for this purpose, so i am getting into splitting hairs between them.

So with that further information, has anybody done a direct comparison between monitors and what calibration techniques, material, test patterns, images etc have you used? Pros cons...

Thanks again!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 02:12 PM
I have dual HP ZR24W's on my edit system which I like and seem to be similar to the one above.

On my Photoshop computer I use a Samsung 244T that I've always liked.

I never liked the 1920X1080 rez, preferring the 1920X1200 monitors.

Now that I think of it, all the rest of the monitors that I have in use are 24" and they are all HPs or Samsungs.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 02:13 PM
I should add that I use the ColorMunki system for calibration.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 02:26 PM
I use the Spyder4Pro for my color calibration.
http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4pro/
Posted By: Murph Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 02:32 PM
I have no advice on calibrating or comparison. However, I am really enjoying how after stating specifically that you were not interested in actual model recommendations, you immediately received 4 more model reviews.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/01/13 02:44 PM
Murph, it's not a matter of telling him what he wants to hear, it's a matter of telling him what we want to tell him!

Seriously, I saw that he wasn't looking for model recommendations, I mentioned it only because it may / may not be helpful to anyone else too. I didn't even recommend the models I use, since they're no longer available (I assume), though I DO happen to like them.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/03/13 01:52 AM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

Both very funny!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/03/13 01:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
I've been generally happy with Dell Ultrasharps, but if you're doing anything where color matters, you'll need to calibrate them.

I have one.
It always had this slight yellow tinge i've never liked.
Haven't done any calibrating with it. Was actually hoping to hold off long enough on buying LCD until something more interesting came out; like OLED.
But dammit, my CRT Viewsonic died.
I had no choice.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/03/13 01:57 AM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I should add that I use the ColorMunki system for calibration.

Holy crap that's expensive.
But you have to love the simplicity of their advertising argument:
The Swiss-engineered ColorMunki spectrophotometer is a portable all-in-one device .... it even has a Built-in ... a "Swiss Army Knife" of color management.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer Monitor Comparison - 08/03/13 02:06 AM
The only calibrator I've used was the Pantone el-cheapo model, whatever that was. It was... ok.
© Axiom Message Boards