Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta Spambot invasion - 05/28/14 10:12 PM
I love lamp.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Spambot invasion - 05/28/14 10:24 PM
Toaster + Mayonaise + butter knife = dinner! grin

Gotta love Brick
Posted By: Crimson Wrath Re: Spambot invasion - 05/29/14 03:05 AM
Can they track an IP address and block all activity from that to help stop the spam?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Spambot invasion - 05/29/14 11:01 AM
Tracking an IP address would not be useful in this case. IP addresses change a lot, and I can pretty much guarantee that these are coming from multiple IPs all over the place.
Posted By: Murph Re: Spambot invasion - 05/29/14 11:54 AM
Indeed. It's pretty much impossible to block by IP and one of the reasons they are so full of random crap is to try and include as many keywords as possible that will help them get through automated spam blockers. OCR is getting better at defeating CAPTCHAs so it is getting really hard to stop them.

Sometimes they don't even care if 'us forum folk' click a link from here, they are just trying to get thier links out to so many places that they get picked up and rated higher by spiders so that you find thier crap when you search for legitimate things.

These guys are using OCR to get by captcha tools and sometimes you won't even see a link to click because they
Posted By: Murph Re: Spambot invasion - 05/29/14 12:15 PM
FYI,
for work purposes, I often use VPNs around the globe to test network connections from various places. Without changing computers or Internet providers or anything, I can make myself look like I'm coming from an IP in Toronto or Chicago instead of here on PEI. Then 30 seconds later, I can look like I'm coming from Sweden or India.

I can hit someone's network from around the globe in a matter of minutes without ever leaving my desk.

Most of these spammers don't bother with VPNs because they are already in non-regulated countries. Just thought I's share to show some how easy it is to go 'incognito'.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Spambot invasion - 05/29/14 04:26 PM
Murph, I'm just glad that you seem to be using your Powers for Good.

So far.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Spambot invasion - 05/29/14 04:56 PM
I say we sic Ken Klingon on them, as they clearly HAVE NO HONOR.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Spambot invasion - 05/29/14 09:50 PM
Stop hijacking threads, guys. This WAS supposed to be a discussion about our fondness for lamps.
© Axiom Message Boards