Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi Router speed issues - 08/13/14 10:38 PM
I'm getting 50-70 mbps down when I connect directly to my modem via hard wire. When I connect my modem to my router, and then hard wire the same computer to my linksys e4200 router I am getting 25-30 mbs down.

Any ideas? settings to check in router?

Thanks!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Router speed issues - 08/13/14 11:09 PM
I'm thinking there may be some wireless device using a lot of bandwidth but not sure... need to figure this out.

When I switch the wiresless for 5ghz and 2.4 ghz channels from mixed to N or N to mixed I get good speeds for the first test (hard wired). first image below is right after switching from N to mixed. second one is a couple minutes after making the switch. I'm assuming this switch makes all of my wireless devices have to reconnect, and if I test the speed fast enough on my hard wired computer it does the check before the bandwidth is reduced by the wireless device. This was repeated 3 times with same result. I have xbox one, ps4, two smart panasonci TV's with wirelss adapters, a wirless ethernet adapter for my receiver, wii u, 2 iphones, and and ipad all connected wireless (but not currently on except the the iphones and ipad, but they are not in use.)

Any ideas?

Posted By: MMM Re: Router speed issues - 08/13/14 11:21 PM
have you tried using dd-wrt with your router?

http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2013/01/my-cisco-linksys-e4200-dd-wrt-settings-for-max-speed/
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Router speed issues - 08/13/14 11:24 PM
Im pulling 45 mb/s down on my ihpone consistently, xbox one is reporting 60 mb/s down.

My laptop which is 5 years old but has wireless N is pulling only 20 mb/s when sitting in the same room as router.

Anyway, things seem to be fairly fast, except maybe the router is a shoddy and is limiting hardwired speeds when also sending out wireless? MAybe my laptop is just too old for faster speeds.

My iphone and xbox appear to be getting near or above the 50mbs I am supposed to get. Maybe no major problem?

What do you think?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Router speed issues - 08/13/14 11:30 PM
Thanks Oak, I will read through that post. I do have the V1 router that his settigns are designed for but am hesitant to install a firmware other than the official one which the page recommends.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Router speed issues - 08/14/14 04:26 AM
With those speeds compared to what i get here in the Peg (a major city) for $55/mth, i would be happy to have your problem.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Router speed issues - 08/14/14 10:59 AM
I would propose that something else was doing something on the connection rather than assuming the router was bad. Since you have all those devices that download stuff by themselves, I'd guess that one or more of them was doing just that. I'm pretty sure at least the modern consoles will download stuff even if they're "off" unless they're completely disconnected from power.
Posted By: Murph Re: Router speed issues - 08/14/14 01:00 PM
So am I interpreting this right?
When you modify the bandwidth available to wireless, it is effecting the speed of a hardwired device.

- [Easy] Download "Fing" for your smartphone or tablet. Use it to make sure you don't have any 'rogue' devices using your wireless that you didn't expect to be there, like a neighbor or a dozen of those new wireless connected animal toys.

- [Hard] Using a packet sniffer like Wireshark (free) you would be able to definitively get to the bottom of who/what is using how much bandwidth, if you suspect something is being a hog. However, how to do that requires more explanation than I will/should type here. However, feel free to PM me if you get brave.

- [Unlikely but check it if you can.] You could be getting some port flapping between the ports of your PC and the router if they are not syncing up properly. This often drops speeds by 2 thirds or more. It's actually unlikely but I doubt you can change the port setting on a that router to anything but [auto] anyways. Again a sniffer would identify that. On a more robust router, it could be easily identified and changed from there as well. Normally on residential devices, [Auto negotiate] works just fine.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Router speed issues - 08/15/14 07:02 PM
The bandwidth I get in Missouri, is just slightly better than snail mail. But not by much. 1 to 5 mb/s.

When I get Google Fiber installed, using the 7 year free service, after the $300 construction fee, I'll get up to 5 mb/s.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Router speed issues - 08/15/14 07:20 PM
I thought google fiber was supposed to be 1000mb/s
Posted By: CV Re: Router speed issues - 08/15/14 07:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Socketman

There's apparently a free plan.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Router speed issues - 08/15/14 09:46 PM

Only if you want to pay around $70 per month for it.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Router speed issues - 08/15/14 10:28 PM
Thanks for responses.

I have tinkered around with a few things but can't figure it out. I can test speeds on my phone and hardwired PC back to back and get 30mbs on PC and 50 on phone consistently.

Oh well, I don't use this desktop very frequently and am probably going to ditch it soon.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Router speed issues - 08/15/14 11:36 PM
Wow, all these multi-Mbps numbers. I'm excited that *one* of my numbers finally reads over 1 on a good day.

Only $156 last month (I had to pull a few different Linux kernel trees down late in the billing period so went over 10GB). Such a deal.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Router speed issues - 08/16/14 12:50 AM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat

Only if you want to pay around $70 per month for it.

That's cheap for that kind of speed. I pay $110 for 250gb/mth and I get 85mb/s on a test though that's not real since most servers don't have that kind of upload speed.
Posted By: CV Re: Router speed issues - 08/16/14 01:11 AM
That's cheap for that kind of speed.

Yeah, I'd go to Google Fiber's gigabit service in a heartbeat if it came here. I'm paying over $100 for up to 100 Mbps down/5 Mbps up, which apparently they've improved recently:

Speedtest has never actually shown it at 100. I think I got into the 90s before, but that was in the middle of the night. This is a pretty good result for a Friday evening. Still, I can't believe they're still capping upload speed at 5 Mbps.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Router speed issues - 08/16/14 04:28 AM
I live in the Yukon so believe me what I get I am more than happy with. Northwestel is our provider and the put fiber in a few years ago from down south but the house connection is still cable.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Router speed issues - 08/16/14 08:01 PM
John, are you on satellite?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Router speed issues - 08/16/14 08:56 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
John, are you on satellite?

No such luck -- I would have to cut down so many trees to get line of sight to the satellite that anyone familiar with the Tunguska event would feel right at home. I have not yet been able to get zoning approval for an antenna tower despite it being lower than the surrounding trees, so might have to put up a windmill and tack a satellite dish on the windmill tower when nobody is looking.

Our provincial government LOVES windmills despite the fact the wind never seems to be blowing when we need lots of power, although everyone else seems to hate them and I might have to paint "NOT A REAL WINDMILL" on the blades to avoid having my house egged.

In the meantime I have a cellular modem/router combo which relies on the area's one lonely cell tower. It's sort of like a modern version of dial-up but with long-distance charges to get to the ISP's modem pool.
Posted By: CV Re: Router speed issues - 08/16/14 09:12 PM
Originally Posted By: bridgman
I would have to cut down so many trees to get line of sight to the satellite that anyone familiar with the Tunguska event would feel right at home.

RASL, which I'm still trying to get at least one other person to read, makes good use of the Tunguska event.
© Axiom Message Boards