Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Amie Interesting ratio! - 09/16/03 07:34 PM
Just in case anyone is interested, we were looking at some numbers today, and tan grilles outsell black grilles on maple speakers 9:1. The same ratio is holding true with the new beech finish. We had figured the number would be closer to 50/50 (eh, Curtis?)

Cables should be launched by tomorrow!
Posted By: sushi Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/16/03 08:26 PM
Interesting indeed! Perhaps, people have gotten sick of the oh-so-ordinary black grill???
Posted By: curtis Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/16/03 08:52 PM
Hey!! Even spiffnme thought the tan grill was ugly! Especially with the light finish.
Posted By: johnbasham Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/16/03 08:58 PM
Amie, will the new speaker grills be available for purchase by themselves, I would be interested in replacing my black ones that came with my M3Ti's.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/16/03 09:01 PM
I think the home theater is becoming less and less the exclusive domain of the man and falling prey to the decorative wiles of wives everywhere...
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/16/03 09:11 PM
I remember the maple M22's had a very light colored (almost flesh colored) grill. It just looked bad.

BUT...the pair of M60's that Curtis had for awhile I thought looked very nice in maple. Did they have the same grills?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/16/03 10:34 PM
BTW, everyone, I bounced the M60s off of my wife, and she asked how big they were. When I told her they were 9 inches wide, etc, she said they were TOO SMALL!!!! She says she likes my subwoofer, because it blends into the furniture. The sub is about 2.5 ft high, 14" wide, 8" deep. Therefore, I'm back to the M22s. Sigh.

So Amie, how about those M90s you showed us pictures of? ;-)
Posted By: curtis Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/16/03 10:42 PM
In reply to:

BUT...the pair of M60's that Curtis had for awhile I thought looked very nice in maple. Did they have the same grills?

Nope...Amie sent the dark grills because I didn't like the light colored ones.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/16/03 11:54 PM
You mean she wants more than 9"? Dayammm.

In all seriousness, though, perhaps you need to pay spiffnme a visit next time you're in LA to see the M60s in person.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 01:39 AM
Yeah, or maybe I should stop shooting so high, and actually buy speakers I can afford. ;-)

Your wife isn't reading over your shoulder any more, is she? :-D
Posted By: sushi Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 01:45 AM
Ken,

What is the finish on your Cambridge sub that got a high WAF? Just curious...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 01:46 AM
Matte black. No texture. Go fig. I've always thought it stuck out a lot.

Of course, a projector gets a low WAF with her, as does a horizontal center channel.

I think she'd prefer it if the speakers were in real wood, but I'm not about to sacrifice the Axiom sound and tons of money to get it.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 02:18 AM
Sorry for my ignorance - WAF????
Posted By: sushi Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 02:32 AM
Ken, a front projector gets a low WAF (Shawn -- it is Wife Acceptance/Approval Factor), even if it is ceiling-mounted? I believe that an FP usually results in a higher WAF, simply by eliminating a decor-dominating big-box TV -- especially when combined with a retractable (pulldown) screen.
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 02:39 AM
My maple M22's (and M2is) looked horrible in that "flesh colored" tan. They look so much better in the black grill. To my eyes it just goes better.

I've got some extra grills if someone wants them.

Rich
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 02:49 AM
Yup. She's really practical. We rent right now, and even if we didn't, I think there's just something about it that doesn't appeal. I don't quite understand it either, but whatever. I'm not about to buy a new TV any time soon. (not until they figure out the HDTV standards).
Posted By: Amie Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 03:36 AM
Hey johnbasham -

We do have the grilles available separately - prices include shipping as usual.

Grilles

Grille cloth color definitely depends on how your room looks. We wouldn't get away with 11 speakers in our home theater setup if we had the black grilles - with the tan they just disappear. But in other rooms, it's high-contrast or bust!
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 03:50 AM
I should have told ya not to send the grills when i got my speakers. coulda saved me 75 bucks lol. I dont use em anyway. Not that it doesnt look good. i just dont like em on there. no matter how "invisible" they are supposed to be i believe it still affects the sound.
Posted By: sushi Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 03:54 AM
Perhaps... the grill will tame the bright sound of the Axioms? Maybe... Maybe...
Posted By: twopecker Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 03:56 AM
I think the brown ones will tame the brightness better. its a scientific fact (shamelessly borrowed from another thread here )
Posted By: sushi Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 04:19 AM
That's a complete bogus -- Totally unscientific!!! Of course, black is the color that will make it least bright!
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 05:04 AM
Bright? BRIGHT?! NAWHHH! NO WAY!
Posted By: twodan19 Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 12:58 PM
amie, now we just need magnetic retro fit kits. then my wife could have one color for everyday use, and naturally a special color for company. kinda like the pans on the stove that get swapped out; nice clean shiny ones for company.
dan
Posted By: twopecker Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 01:17 PM
I have been w/ my girlfriend for almost 3 yrs....things like that make me put off getting married another year =)
Posted By: twodan19 Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 01:22 PM
been attached at wrists and ankles for 25 years (stealing a line from firesign theater), and together for over 28 years. since i sell the pans, we regularly replace the burners and pans. if you have a dishwasher, pick up a product called dishwasher magic, fantastic. so when are you coming to "audition" the kennedys?
dan
Posted By: snippy Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 06:54 PM
I had the black grills with my maples and I bought the new tan grills and my speakers are so much nicer looking. I still have photos of the two different looks on dvdfile.com forum and I can not belive I actually tolerated the black grills. UGLY!

Thank you Axiom for caring about the looks of speakers as well as the technology of the sound.
Posted By: sushi Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 07:06 PM
Hey snippy, would you care to post/link some photos of your maple/tan Axioms? Or, can anybody point me to such photos? -- I don't think this site shows any, right?
Posted By: johnbasham Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 08:15 PM
Thank you Amie...
Posted By: gem41573 Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 08:30 PM
Sushi,

I also went with the maple/tan combo for my QS8's only (have black speakers and grilles for M22's and VP150), and both my wife (all important) and I have been pleased with the look. Axiom actually sent me the black grilles by mistake at first, so I had both in my apartment for a time.

The black looked fine, but since we wanted the surround speakers to blend into the surroundings, at least as much as the QS8's can blend into your living room, we preferred the tan grilles and that's what we stuck with. The tan has somewhat of a peachy tint to it, which is the only minor problem with it. But, all in all, the tan grilles are a viable option to pair with the maple speakers if you want them to be less obtrusive than the black grilles.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/17/03 10:16 PM
I was thinking about going all white with the QS8s, since I really don't like the contrast of 4 panels to a little bit of wood. Anyone have the 8s in the custom white yet? How do they look?
Posted By: snippy Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/18/03 11:18 PM
This is the link to the photos of my set up with black grills and tan grills. The set up as you can tell blends much better with the tan grills. Sorry their are no photos of my QS8s. I need to take the photos of them eventually. They are great looking with the tan grills.

http://forums.dvdfile.com/interactive/forum/showthread.php?t=22144

You may need to register at the site to see the photos but there are a lot of them there.

Hope you enjoy!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/18/03 11:23 PM
Gah! It does require registration. If you e-mail me the photos, I can put them up on a public web server for ya. (My e-mail is in my profile.)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/19/03 06:16 PM
Here are the easy-to-access pics. I must say, the tan grills just look right in that room. (Good use of Ikea furniture, and nice dog, too!)

Posted By: twodan19 Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/19/03 06:59 PM
i like the contrast of the black myself. i guess that's why radios have so many buttons, to satisfy differing tastes.
Posted By: curtis Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/19/03 07:54 PM
Hey!! That is the TV stand I have.....it is now sagging in the middle!!
Posted By: sushi Re: Interesting ratio! - 09/19/03 08:01 PM
Curtis, I TOLD YOU to get a FP.
© Axiom Message Boards