Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV Intel Optane/3D XPoint - 06/29/16 04:28 AM
I'm getting pretty excited about this:

Intel - Non-Volatile Memory
Posted By: MMM Re: Intel Optane/3D XPoint - 06/29/16 10:20 AM
Yes, it sounds great but how would you use it? If they are looking to use it as part of a new SSD then you are giving up all of the performance as the SATA III drive interface is not fast enough to handle it.

That leaves needing to go with a plug in card of some form. This excludes then the ability of any external drive interface, so it's only good for desktop or new computers that were specifically designed for this new technology. You can't add it to your current laptop or computer that was not specifically designed for it.

I sort of hear it as being part of a new chipset from Intel that will take advantage of a new interface port. I think JMicron have a similar technology as well as I am sure I have read about it somewhere on the technology rags.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Intel Optane/3D XPoint - 06/29/16 03:21 PM
I think the intended use is as DIMMs. There's a lot of work being done in the Linux kernel to make good use of persistent memory (and the occasional religious war, of course :)).
Posted By: CV Re: Intel Optane/3D XPoint - 06/29/16 04:33 PM
Intel will initially release SSDs based on it, and yes, it will be held back by the interface, but I'll build a new computer around whatever the new interface ends up being. And yes, it was developed jointly by Intel and Micron.
© Axiom Message Boards