Axiom Home Page
Posted By: snippy Avatars - 11/13/03 03:01 AM
I have looked everywhere on this forum to find a way to post my pic as an avatar. But I can not seem to figure this out at all. Do I need to get a web site or something?
Other forums just let me put the photo up using a file from my hard drive, but Axioms will not let me.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Avatars - 11/13/03 03:14 AM
Yeah, you'll need a place to host your picture.
Posted By: snippy Re: Avatars - 11/13/03 05:11 AM
How do I do that?

And why is it that Axiom's forum makes me have to do that?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Avatars - 11/13/03 05:49 AM
If ya ask nice, I can host the pic for you. Just e-mail me your image and I'll tell you the URL to put into your profile.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Avatars - 11/13/03 11:23 AM
I think that the other forums actually store the avatar for you, in any case it has to be on the 'net, not on your local drive.
Posted By: fmowry Re: Avatars - 11/13/03 05:50 PM
Just link to your avatar from another forum. They do store it somewhere. Usually you can get the link by going to that forum, mousing over the avatar and right clicking the checking "properties" for the pic. Copy and paste.

Frank

Posted By: snippy Re: Avatars - 11/13/03 07:13 PM
I think I have done it! Thanks for the help!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Avatars - 11/13/03 07:34 PM
Your name seems to fit. I can just see you holding a pair of scissors and making snippy noises in the air with them.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Avatars - 11/14/03 12:51 AM
This is only a test...

Geez Frank, great tip about using the avatar stored on another forum! Can somebody explain to me why that method (getting a pic from another website) would be better for Axiom forum administration (and performance) than simply allowing them to be stored here?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Avatars - 11/14/03 01:13 AM
Storing avatars on the Axiom server would increase their bandwidth usage. When you link to an Avatar -- or any image stored on a different site -- it's your computer that has to go fetch it, not the Axiom webserver.
Posted By: mhorgel Re: Avatars - 11/14/03 01:44 AM
In reply to:

Just link to your avatar from another forum.

Duh!

Why didn't I think of that?

Mark
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Avatars - 11/14/03 01:59 AM
I love my avatar
Posted By: sushi Re: Avatars - 11/14/03 05:46 AM
C'mom, Peter... I don't think these 65x75 pixel graphics make much difference whether or not it is stored within the Axiom site. It's only ~4KB per avatar.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Avatars - 11/14/03 06:29 PM
A single avatar doesn't matter so much, but a page-worth of them adds up.

I'm not convinced that's the reason Axiom doesn't have storage for them. I think the feature was just never configured.
Posted By: sushi Re: Avatars - 11/14/03 09:57 PM
Right, Peter. That's something I noticed... At AVSforum (and many others that use the same message board software), the avatar on each individual message is displayed by linking to the single copy of graphics stored with the member's profile. So, when you change the avatar in your profile, ALL of your avatars in the entire forum changes. Not so at the Axiom forum, which seems to use a different kind of message board software.
© Axiom Message Boards