Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 07:46 PM
I'm looking for a rare, early release SACD.

The Prince album "Diamonds and Pearls" was released in 1995 as an SACD.

Yes, I know that a WB album, and WB supports DVD-A, and yes, I know commercial SACD's did not come out until May 1999, but there were a few early test releases, and this album was one of them.

I've not yet been able to track one down though. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

yes, I am a big Prince fan.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 08:33 PM
Please help this poor fellow! If he doesn't get a copy soon, we'll all be able to hear what it sounds like when doves cry.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 09:21 PM
I'm going to shoot myself in the head now, so I won't have to read that ever, ever again.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 09:37 PM
You two are like a pair of little old ladies sitting on the porch in wheelchairs pecking at each other with insulting, slaphappy barbs that could only come from two little old ladies sitting on a porch in wheelchairs.

Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 09:45 PM
...when doves cry...

HA! Kudos to a good reference.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 09:49 PM
No no. It comes with having lived with one another for 3-ish years.

But the rest of your comment is quite true.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 09:49 PM
He found us out, carnsarnit! Get off my lawn!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 10:12 PM
So I take it no one has any info on this, eh?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 10:26 PM
It was more like 4-ish years. Neener neener.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 10:29 PM
I guess that answers my question.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 10:33 PM
All copies are probably sitting in people's collections, so your only chance might be e-bay or through other used sales.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 11:08 PM
I've been searching to no avail. Other than Ebay do you know of any other large used CD vendors/sites?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 11:10 PM
Has Amoeba Records or Rasputin built any stores down there? They're usually good places to look in the Bay Area.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 11:43 PM
I'm pretty sure there's at least one Amoeba down in the LA area, though I doubt you'd have much luck there.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/08/04 11:59 PM
you may have to dig thru the used sections at Tower and Wherehouse. Or try CD Warehouse, they have a large used section and there are some local stores in So Cal.

http://www.cdwi.com/cdwi/ca.html
Posted By: JohnK Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/09/04 12:17 AM
Craig, this outfit supposedly has it for about $30 U.S., but skipping the ethnic background bit(that's the other thread) I don't do cyrillic enough to give you the details and if you call them you may get folks who speak only Russian. You could try here although they don't have one at the moment.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/09/04 12:39 AM
unfortunately, Babelfish doesn't do russian.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/09/04 12:44 AM
It's long since out of print and likely will never be again, so Amazon will likely never have it.

Anyone know what that other site says? If it's really possible to order it, count me in.
Posted By: curtis Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/09/04 01:50 AM
yeah spiff, try Amoeba Records in Hollywood. The place is HUGE. I used to go to the one in Berkeley way back in the day....

I was just at the Hollywood store a few months ago...you could spend days in there.
Posted By: nowave Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/09/04 05:19 AM
The only thing I can think of is to try GEMM http://www.gemm.com.

They don't list items as SACD, just CD or vinyl, but there were some in the $50-60 range. I don't know if that's too low for that item, but you might want to email the seller and see if that is the one you are looking for.

I'm sure there are some sellers on gemm that specialize in hard to find stuff like that - you might find one and ask him/her to keep their eye open..

Good luck!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/09/04 06:00 AM
Craig, as Jason mentioned, you might check out something like this .
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/09/04 06:35 AM
Those are great leads. Thanks!
Posted By: nowave Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/09/04 07:13 AM
Ok John,

I poked around a bit - you have to tell me how you found that SACD so quickly! It would be a huge pain to pick through them all manually, and he only mentioned that it was SACD in his ref#.

Also.... how did you know my first name is Jason... I don't ever recall mentioning that before....

GEMM really is, for those who aren't aware, one of the BEST places to find music you can''t find anywhere else. I'm always shopping for vinyl and I almost ALWAYS check the price I can get it for on GEMM before buying ebay. The biannual record convention in Austin is my primary music buying orgy - if you live anywhere nearby and enjoy vinyl, it's fantastic!

cheers!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/09/04 07:26 AM
JohnK is a man of many mysteries.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/09/04 07:42 AM
Jason, I suppose that I should say that I can't reveal my sources, but anyway, you used your name on your first post in 2002. On the disc, I guessed that nothing under $15 or over $30 would be reasonable, and then divine intercession took over and the second one I looked at was it. This assumes that his ref isn't misleading, but he looks like a nice enough guy.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/09/04 07:44 AM
John, you have a remarkably good memory, or a great propensity for research.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Looking for rare SACD - 01/09/04 03:55 PM
Well then, a little research of our own.
Here is the 'starting point' to JohnK (at least since the forums were redone).
Oooooh, look at all that revealing information.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Looking for rare...POSTS - 01/09/04 04:09 PM
And then there's my first week at the forums.
Interesting how post #4 already relates back to beer.

Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Looking for rare...POSTS - 01/09/04 04:36 PM
and #5 too!
Posted By: spiffnme Rare SACD - 01/09/04 08:05 PM
Great try John, but that find turned out to be a dead end.

It turns out the the Gemm site truncates his codes...

DIAMONDSACD turns out to be Diamonds a cd...Short for Diamonds and Pearls CD

Bummer. The hunt continues.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Rare SACD - 01/10/04 12:31 AM
Whoah. I hadn't scrolled down all the way on that page. What a huge pic of the seller!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Rare SACD - 01/10/04 04:54 AM
Yeah, Craig, that was one of the things that had crossed my mind when I mentioned that the ref# might be "misleading". Of course, it wasn't intentionally so(unless they saw you coming!). I just took another look at the Russian site and it clearly is offering it for sale. My ancestry isn't Russian(but neighboring)and I can't read it easily(where's all the Canadians of Russian descent or Russian immigrants?), but the end of the first line to the right of the cover picture shows 916.00p and the p is "ehr" or r and here refers to rubles(29 rubles in theory are worth $1 U.S.),so that's about $31 U.S. The following word, like[KynnTb] is roughly Koo-peet, which means buy. Clicking on it takes you to a buy screen which makes the offer even clearer, although most of the characters are cyrillic, of course. If you'd care to take a shot at calling the (095) 737-73-37 number shown(095 is the area code for Moscow)it might not run too much. I suspect that Prince is never going to see any royalties out of this operation, but it may otherwise be legit.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Rare SACD - 01/10/04 07:38 AM
I'll hold out hope that perhaps I can find it in an English speaking country/website, or that someone who can read that site could order it for me.
Posted By: curtis Re: Rare SACD - 01/10/04 04:25 PM
spiff,

If it helps, one of the guys that works for me speaks russian.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Rare SACD - 01/10/04 07:12 PM
Have him take a look at that site. If it truly looks legit, I'll order it.
Posted By: Kupisam Re: Rare SACD - 01/10/04 09:45 PM
Hi! I'm manager of site kupisam.ru you was talking about. We're advertises our clients` goods and the Prince's SACD is presented by Ozon.ru - largest, best and one of most known Russian online store. I definitely think this item is legit, so you can try to buy it without risk. Probably you'd like to email him orders@ozon.ru and ask for assistance. They deliver items overseas and accept credit cards (by the way, there are safe enough to pay by credit card for Russian companies; much safer than most of foreigners think). So if you really want to get this item I think you could get it. Good luck!

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Rare SACD - 01/11/04 12:38 AM
huh?
Posted By: curtis Re: Rare SACD - 01/11/04 12:54 AM
yeah....how did he find out??
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Rare SACD - 01/11/04 01:30 AM
Part of the structure of the WWW is the ability for webservers to log referring URLs. When Spiff (and many others of us) clicked the link to the russian web site, their webserver logged the refferring URL -- which was this forum.

This is a handy feature for webmasters as it allows them to see what sites are linking to them.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Rare SACD - 01/11/04 01:35 AM
Talk about Big Brother...geesh.

Posted By: curtis Re: Rare SACD - 01/11/04 01:43 AM
I knew that....but didn't think of it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Rare SACD - 01/11/04 03:16 AM
It's is also probably how Paul Carleton made his way over during the ruckus.

"Hmmmm, how come I'm getting a lot of referrals from Axiom all of the sudden? Lemme go check it out..."
Posted By: JohnK Re: Rare SACD - 01/11/04 04:11 AM
Okay, Craig, I don't know why I didn't think of approaching it from this angle before instead of torturing over the cyrillic, but this outfit is apparently reputable and here's more info in english.

I'm surprised that he replied to you personally, but maybe the numerous times I clicked on [KynnTb] (buy) excited their interest. Just so a couple weeks from now I don't find a bunch of CDs by Boris and His Nightingales or something waiting for me.
Posted By: mwc Re: Rare SACD - 01/11/04 05:20 AM
What ruckus?
Posted By: mhorgel Re: Rare SACD - 01/11/04 06:46 AM
For the love of God...DON'T ASK!

Mark
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Rare SACD - 01/11/04 07:37 AM
Dr. Strangelove

(Google is great, and no, I haven't seen it -- yet)
Posted By: Kupisam Re: Rare SACD - 01/11/04 11:21 AM
Yes, you're right. Is it bad that I provided your with information which might be valuable for your?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Rare SACD - 01/12/04 07:08 PM
No, it is not bad. I am sure spiffnme will be very thankful if he can get the SACD.
Posted By: mhorgel Re: Rare SACD - 01/14/04 05:46 AM
"Dr. Strangelove" is one of the funniest and best movies ever made. As penance for never having seen it, you must pour yourself a drink of grain alcohol and rain water (so as not to impurify your precious bodily fluids) and run to the closest Blockbuster and rent it!

Mark
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Rare SACD - 01/14/04 07:09 AM
Aha! I've seen at least one classic movie you haven't! (course, that's probably the only one...)
© Axiom Message Boards