Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fhw Off Topic: Best home finance software? - 01/29/04 01:16 AM
This may well be the most off-topic thread yet that doesn't deal with beer, but since this is basically the only board I routinely visit, what the heck.

Anybody have a preference for personal finance software, i.e. Microsoft vs. Quicken (or another package if you know of one)? As a recent home owner/business owner/parent (all new within the last 12 months), I have to start paying attention to this crap beyond my books...especially how I've had to p-ss away money getting the house in shape and rec room wired and repainted.

Any thoughts? I do use Quickbooks for accounting and find it fairly simple, if the interface is more or less the same with Quicken.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Off Topic: Best home finance software? - 01/29/04 06:08 AM
My brother, a former financial advisor, swears by Quicken.
I just use a ledger myself. Call me old fashioned.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Off Topic: Best home finance software? - 01/29/04 07:32 AM
You're old fashioned.

I go for weeks (and weeks) at a time "unbalanced". Call me stupid.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Off Topic: Best home finance software? - 01/29/04 07:52 AM
Stupid.

Course, I did that on my personal account, and found out yesterday I was overdrawn! Woo!
I use pen and paper, gives me a much better hands on feel and gets me away from the dreaded "well it must be right because I did it on a computer" syndrome.
The best way to manage your money doesn't require software. Either don't make any, or don't spend any

I like Quicken, although I have never tried any other ones
Posted By: twopecker Re: Off Topic: Best home finance software? - 01/29/04 08:01 PM
I use money, no complaints. Does everything I require (which isnt much). Quick and easy to use as well. I have never used quicken though, so I can not comment on it. I can say I would reccomend MS Money to anyone though.
Posted By: Semi_On Re: Off Topic: Best home finance software? - 01/29/04 09:56 PM
I use Money 2003, personally. Either product is adequate.
Posted By: x94blair3 Re: Off Topic: Best home finance software? - 01/30/04 02:13 PM
In an effort to keep the string of MS Money recommendations going, I'll chime in. I use Money for all our financial stuff and I love it.

*Edit*
Man I'm long winded..no point in sharing all that. Sorry.

-Nick
© Axiom Message Boards