Axiom Home Page
Posted By: FordPrefect Size of Avatar - 01/29/04 01:12 PM
I decided to use the avatar that I created for another board and use it here. It was 50x50 but as soon as I posted I noticed it got resized to 65x75.

So I guess it's safe to say that no matter what size avatar you use it will be resized to a 65x75 "standard".

If I want to make the car the "original" size I suppose I'll have to make it over again on a 65x75 background.

Life must be perfect if this is all I worry about

Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Size of Avatar - 01/29/04 01:44 PM
..and so ends Axiom's most pointless thread of the year
Posted By: fhw Re: Size of Avatar - 01/29/04 03:59 PM
It's only January.

There are many more pointless threads to come.
Posted By: tinfoilhat Re: Size of Avatar - 01/29/04 05:32 PM
Car? Tractor? Two lightbulbs flanking a fridge?
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Size of Avatar - 01/29/04 06:31 PM
actually it's a car, a Ford Prefect in fact. There is a very long story that goes along with it but this thread is already pointless enough
Posted By: vaniah Re: Size of Avatar - 01/29/04 06:38 PM
awww, lets hear it! I'm a big fan of pointless threads.

Oh, and BTW -- I'm new here. hay all, I've read tons of posts all over the board already. Decided it was about time I created my own.
Posted By: Semi_On Re: Size of Avatar - 01/29/04 07:17 PM
It looks like you've already resized it, but for future reference, you can open it in Paint and you'll see a little box in the bottom right corner of the image. Click on that and you can drag the background. Since you're already using a white background, that would be all that's required. Of course, you can stretch with the resizing tool.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Size of Avatar - 01/29/04 11:59 PM
Actually I used Animation Shop 3 to edit it as it was more than just a resize.

The original avatar was created for a board that limits avatar size to 50x50 and has either a white or grey background for your message (they alternate colours).

Due to the two coloured backgrounds it looks better if you make the image with a transparent background.

Axiom was taking the 50x50 and resizing up to 65x75 and frankly the artwork didn't appreciate that at all .

I simply created a new gif with a transparent background at 65x75 and cut and pasted the frames in from the 50x50 gif.

That then gave me the car at it's original size but on a larger background. I then deleted a few frames that weren't required and then altered the timing of the "lights on full" frame.

It's fun to do but makes no sense when you explain it.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Size of Avatar - 01/30/04 12:05 AM
I still say it looks like a hoseless gas pump flanked by two diamond-studded jumbo avocados resting on a couple black soda bottle caps.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Size of Avatar - 01/30/04 12:13 AM
Peter have you absolutely nothing better to do?

Leave Ford's Ford alone eh?
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Size of Avatar - 01/30/04 12:27 AM
That's just about what my parents said when it was towed into the driveway about 40 years ago
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Size of Avatar - 01/30/04 12:39 AM
Not a bad looking car (when kept in this condition):

The flowers have to go, though. And it needs a racing stripe right down the middle.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Size of Avatar - 01/30/04 12:49 AM
...or maybe some numbers to spruce it up

Herbie the Love Bug
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Size of Avatar - 01/30/04 01:30 AM
Ocho!
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Size of Avatar - 01/30/04 12:41 PM
thats one of the 'newer' models.

Here's one similar to mine.

Posted By: Amie Re: Size of Avatar - 01/30/04 01:09 PM
Has anyone ever seen a Cord, made by Auburn? Now those are beautiful cars!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Size of Avatar - 01/30/04 04:55 PM
Oh Amie, Don't start talking about Cords. One of the most beautiful cars EVER. When I was a lad (OH NO! One of THOSE stories), my older brother kept his boat at a small boat launching facility a mile or two from our home. This had to be around 1959 or so. On the property was a long, narrow, concrete, bunker-like structure that had a garage door at the end facing the lake. Since the land sloped down toward the lake, as the building got farther away from the lake it just disappeared into the ground. I found out later that it was supposed to be the foundation for a row of motel rooms.

One day, after pulling the boat out of the water, my brother and I noticed the garage door was open, so we wandered over. Inside, the owner and a friend were working on....not one....not two....but THREE 1937 Cords. They were cannibalizing two to restore the third. The restored one was maroon in color. I thought it was the most beautiful automobile I had ever seen. I've been in love with them ever since. Seeing one today still takes my breath away. Unfortunately, they are slightly out of my price range.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Size of Avatar - 01/30/04 05:21 PM
I'd LOVE to own a Cord. Those are incredible!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Size of Avatar - 01/30/04 06:50 PM
Cord? Hmmmm. Isn't there a model with four corrugated dryer vent pipes coming out from the hood?

Beautiful car, though. Screw the Ferrari. I want one of these. I bet I could actually fit comfortably in one, too.
Posted By: tinfoilhat Re: Size of Avatar - 01/30/04 09:06 PM
I don't know which Ferrari you are referring to, but my vote for the most beautiful of the Maranello car is not strictly speaking a Ferrari at all. It is the Dino.
Take a gander...
http://www.arcat.it/wallpaper/motori/AUTO/AUTO_BIG/ferrari%20dino%20246%20gts.jpg

At the time it was not called a Ferrari because it only had 6 cylinders. Real Ferraris had 12. Have to admit though that in terms of pure looks the Mercedes 300SL comes darn close.
http://perso.club-internet.fr/newcaste/mb/galerie/300sl.jpg
Posted By: Ajax Re: Size of Avatar - 01/30/04 09:19 PM
Ya had to post a photo of a maroon Cord, didn't ya? My socks are still rolling up and down. Sheeeeesh! That's a beaut! It looks even better with the top down. Notice the flip up headlights? Way ahead of it's time.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Size of Avatar - 01/31/04 05:37 PM
They're not the most beautiful, but the Ferrari I want most is the Enzo. Or an F40. I just dunno about the F50. When it came out, I was sure that R&T had reported the torque numbers wrong. Nope. It's got less than 400 lb/ft of torque. How sad. And it wasn't the fastest accelerating car out there.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Size of Avatar - 01/31/04 06:06 PM

This is my idea of automotive art:

A 1938 Talbot Lago T-150C SS.

go to:
http://www2.oakland.edu/concours/index.cfm?car=22 for the rest of the pictures.

Posted By: tinfoilhat Re: Size of Avatar - 01/31/04 06:07 PM
Try this:
http://harryvolts.com/cartest/

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Size of Avatar - 01/31/04 07:42 PM
Ohhhh, that's just to die for... Gorgeous.

I love that old coachwork. What gets me about it is that the cars were so BIG!

Did anyone see that R&T where they compared a really old Lincoln estate wagon (or something like) to a Lincoln Navigator? They were about the same size...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Size of Avatar - 01/31/04 07:46 PM
I came up as the 67 Shelby AC Cobra 427. Awwww yeah. Of course, I had to guess on a lot of the questions... And I've got a huge ego.

OK, I took it again, with a little less ego, and I came up as a 300SL Gullwing. I can live with that. :-D
© Axiom Message Boards