Axiom Home Page
A line of active speakers to compliment Axiom's superb passive speakers.

Why? All this talk about matching expensive separate components - especially multichannel ampls which cannot be fine tuned to work with Axiom speakers - they have to be designed to work with speakers with very different characteristics. Expensive speaker wire used by many enthusiasts would be unnecessary. Cross over could be effected by amp filters - avoiding the cross over effect - conversion of up to 20% of amp output into heat. Actve amplification could be tailored specificially to the characteristics of the speakers.

There's an interesting discussion of active loudspeakers on the Enjoy the Music site.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/0403/index.html

2x, that link was very interesting. I enjoyed the read.

There's got to be another side, though (other than having to plug in all one's speakers)- perhaps that some parts of the amplification process are more efficiently done centrally? Or are we really that mired in an evolved custom that is now pointless?
Hello raindance

Let's say you have a speaker containing drivers/tweeters with a frequency response of 50Hz-20Khz. The driver doesn't require an amp which goes down to 20Hz. The tweeters require much less power than the driver. Problem is that instead of a single box with 5 channels of amplification, you'll need an amp for each speaker. But, each amp would be tailored to the speakers impedence and frequency range.

So, we'd have Axiom speakers with Axiom amps built in. Dunno, interesting though!!
Where would you put all the plugs?

Bman
To avoid the problem of having to plug in each speaker, Active Axioms should have wireless power supplies -- and if you bought a complete 5.1 Active Speaker Package (tm), Axiom would throw in the Tesla coil free.
Ha!

The perfect outdoor speakers- they'd even zap bugs!

And strangers messing with your sensitive electronics!
Forget that - I want the perfect Axiom waterproof shower speakers.

Birdman
Do they need to be in the shower? just mount them on the walls in the bathroom and crank 'em!
i wondered about doing just that Peter, has anyone tried this? My bathroom is more like a sauna when I shower and I'd be concerned about the excess moisture damaging the speaker - especially one with a paper woofer. Any thoughts?
it's called..install an exhaust fan, or as we in the trade call it.. a Fart Fan
I think you would be OK if the woofer paper was 4-ply....
that's the thing twodan, i've got a 'fart fan'....and a dehumidifier. It's just humid enough in there that i'd worry it would damage something. Maybe I need to give the fan 'more power'.
Just keep the bathroom *really really cold* so the air can't hold the high humidity.
good idea Raindance, but then I have to spend extra on a heated toilet seat!
Sid...what the heck is your avatar a picture of?
Spiffnme,
it's cover pic from, in my opinion, the greatest rock/punk album of all time - The Clash's London Calling. It's Paul Simonon smashing his bass on the stage. It makes me smile
For middle-aged punk, I highly recommend the Dropkick Murphy's. Go to their Website and download "The Fields of Athenry," "Workers' Song," and any other full clips for a demo. These songs were made for Axioms playing loud -- awesome raucous music with a message and incredible energy.

Birdman
I really like the idea of active speakers. From all that I've read, they should sound great! How's about it, Ian?
Thanks kcarlile, I took the fart fan and heated toilet seat responses to be a rude hijacking of this thread. Thanks for at least dealing with the subject.
2x6, you've been here long enough to know what to expect from us. To get back on topic though, active would be very sweet. I've yet to audition any, but the design makes a lot of sense. The power cords would be quite a pain, though. I suppose you wouldn't need all your speakers to be active, though. Just the mains and center, really.
One of my clients has Meyer Sound (or Audio or something of the sort) actives. Anyone heard these? I haven't been paying enough attention when he's been using them; he's just too annoying to spend any time around.
Here are the amp guys Axiom should hook up with - The Flying Mole digital Monoblocks from former engineers who split off from Yamaha. Light weight, tiny 8 1/4" x 5" wide and 1.75" tall! 1.4 lbs each, (with case) pure, triode goodness sound with 160 watt output.

Here's their website:
http://www.flyingmole.co.jp/en/index.shtml
I hope Axiom sends me a pair when they make them.

http://www.stereotimes.com/amp021804.shtm

Digital internal amplification for Axiom speakers, now that would set the industry on its collective ear.
© Axiom Message Boards