Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BigWill LCD lights on a sub? - 03/19/04 01:07 AM
Would it be possible to have illuminated digital readouts facing up towards the user on the back of the sub, so that I don't have to use a flashlight at night to adjust my EP350s volume and crossover settings for movies? An illuminated digital display for each knob would be very cool and very convenient (almost as good as having a remote for the sub).
Posted By: spiffnme Re: LCD lights on a sub? - 03/19/04 01:09 AM
That's a good point. Why don't more subs have remotes? I remember waaaay back when I bought my first crappy Yamaha sub they were offering models with remotes. I never see subs with remotes offered any more.
Posted By: gnrajagopal Re: LCD lights on a sub? - 03/19/04 01:36 AM
When ever i feel that sub shld come with a remote, i just look around me.... tv remote, vcr remote, A/V reciever remote, DVD remote, CD player remote, Comcast remote. Man they are every where....to top it all my wife gave me a voice activated universal remote for my b'day.....please no more remotes.....:(
Posted By: spiffnme Re: LCD lights on a sub? - 03/19/04 01:57 AM
I can't remember exactly where the thread was (as I think it was one of our many hijackings latley) but some great universal remotes were mentioned. You can turn that pile of remotes you own into one.
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: LCD lights on a sub? - 03/19/04 04:17 AM
I think that thread was this one .

All because I have five or six remotes in a picture...sheesh...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: getoffb Re: LCD lights on a sub? - 03/19/04 03:14 PM
Yeah, sorry for the hijack What.
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: LCD lights on a sub? - 03/19/04 03:56 PM
getoffb,

No worries...

Actually, it was a good hijack as it has given me a great idea to suggest to my wife / family as a anniversary / birthday / Christmas gift instead of the standard mundane and most times useless items...

Hope that thread helps others as well...

Hey, we're all here to help each other...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: Ray3 Re: LCD lights on a sub? - 03/19/04 04:02 PM
BigWill, can your receiver control the sub? I originally plugged my sub into my Denon, set the crossover in the receiver and the gain on the back of the sub. Haven't touched it since. I control the volume of the sub ( and my other speakers) with my remote.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: LCD lights on a sub? - 03/19/04 07:37 PM
Good point. You can always trim the level of the sub with the +/- dB feature. Much more precise than fiddling with the sub's gain level -- and you can do it all from your listening position instead of shuffling back and forth between your seat and the sub to test your adjustments.
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: LCD lights on a sub? - 03/19/04 09:06 PM
That is provided the remote that came with your receiver has control for the subwoofer level included in it.

I know my Sony does not...so I get to do the Sub level two step...two steps up to set the level, two steps back to check the level...now repeat...

Time to re-calibrate

WhatFurrer
Posted By: pmbuko Re: LCD lights on a sub? - 03/19/04 10:20 PM
Mine's more like "step around the coffee table and LEEEAAAN into the corner and REEEAACCCCH behind the sub and pat, pat, pat, until I find the volume knob."

Which is why I "set it and forget it!"

Posted By: Ray3 Re: LCD lights on a sub? - 03/20/04 12:39 AM
What it is!!! I might point out that this gets us back to that other discussion regarding remote control improvement. Ah yes - up 1 db, down 2db, sub on, sub off. Sing louder you QS8s!!! All without moving my couchified carcass beyond a few finger twitches. Heaven you say, perhaps a small slice, I respond. Life is goooood.
Posted By: BigWill Re: LCD lights on a sub? - 03/20/04 04:43 AM
My Denon does have onscreen sub volume controls but I don't always feel like turning on the TV, changing to the appropriate input, going through the set-up menu, switching back to cable, turning off TV, etc...
Regardless the Denon will not adjust the range of frequencies for the sub below the factory presets of 80hz, 100hz(?), and 120hz(?). I generally don't like my sub playing up to 80hz when listening to music, preferring it to stay much lower. Therefore, when watching a movie, I must get off my butt and use the subs knobs to get the crossover out of the way - hence my question about some illuminated dials or something.
© Axiom Message Boards