Axiom Home Page
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Where to sell used CDs? - 03/30/04 10:08 PM
I'm going thru my CD collection and realize there are some previous purchases that were definitely bought on a whim. (Examples: Howard Jones Greatest Hits, The Best of Imagination, Mr Big, MC Hammer, Public Enemy [the REALLY bad ones], etc...)

Any suggestions on where to sell them? I'll probably end up w/ about 100-200 CDs to sell. I'm sure I could try ebay, but that'd be a hassle. Anyone try CD Warehouse?
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Where to sell used CDs? - 03/30/04 10:14 PM
I'll bet you have some local (not the major chains) CD shops that will buy them back. You might get $1-$2 (except for The Best of Howard Jones - that could be worth some really big money) for them and avoid the hassle, time & expense of ebay and shipping.

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Where to sell used CDs? - 03/30/04 10:21 PM
depending on where you live, there should be lots of options. some of the 'major' cd/dvd retailers have exchange or cash for old cd's. hastings, cd warehouse, sam goody.. and you can always find a small local mom&pops store that will give cash or exchange. but at best, you are only gonna get $1 to $2 bucks per cd.. sometimes you can exchange a used for a used, maybe one you used to have, or one you always wanted.. and some places you can exchange 4-5 used, for a new one.. so, if you figure you are gonna have 100-200 that you will never use, you might get 20-30 brand new ones..

pawn shops are an option, and if all else fails, have a HUGE party, and use them for coasters.. but dont call the police, cause "911 is a joke"..

bigjohn
Posted By: littleb Re: Where to sell used CDs? - 03/30/04 10:22 PM
I sold some to Media Play.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where to sell used CDs? - 03/30/04 10:54 PM
Here is SecondSpin.com; a place that buys and sells CDs and DVDs. I've never sold them any so I have no idea what they pay, but they have a "Sell to Us" link in the text near the top of the page, that will take you to a page where you can enter an artist, and see what they'll pay for their CDs.

I have purchased from them, and other than relatively slow delivery (I opt for the cheapest method) they have performed flawlessly for me.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Where to sell used CDs? - 03/30/04 10:58 PM
"911 is a joke", good reference...

Thanks guys. I'll give these a try. I know there may be a few quirky titles that may be worth more than $1 or $2, those may be worth getting more value. The rest of it, I'm not as concerned. If I get $100 credit at a used store, heck I'd be happy.
Posted By: tinfoilhat Re: Where to sell used CDs? - 03/31/04 12:08 AM
Try EBay first. I have sold quite a few and have been amazed at the prices they have gone for. I sold a Bruce Hornsby double album "Spirit Trail" which is one of the worst ever. I advertised it just like that. I said that it was painful to listen to, and just when you thought you could take no more, there was another complete CD of airhead noodling to test your strength. It went for $14.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Where to sell used CDs? - 03/31/04 01:27 AM
maybe I'll have you write my cd descriptions for a nominal fee...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where to sell used CDs? - 03/31/04 05:02 AM
Amoeba and Rasputin (in Berkeley) generally give pretty good money. The Whorehouse has terrible, terrible rates. I think they only gave me 50 cents for one disk. Plus they play it on the store system to make sure it works, and there you are, with everyone listening to Janet Jackson and knowing that you're responsible...
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Where to sell used CDs? - 03/31/04 02:12 PM
Thanks for the tip Ken. I will DEFINITELY avoid taking my Tiny Tim collection there for resale!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where to sell used CDs? - 03/31/04 06:01 PM
everybody loves a uke, Ray.
© Axiom Message Boards