Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BrenR Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/15/04 08:52 PM
Alright, I'll bite... how precisely does one pronounce "Colquhoun"? COLE-KUH-HOON? CALL-KAH-HOON?

Bren R.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/15/04 09:10 PM
i think its pronounced,

amie-and-her-husband....

bigjohn
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/15/04 09:17 PM
Great question!

I always "heard" cole-koon' in my head. But there are lots of other noises and voices and stuff in there too.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/15/04 10:48 PM
I've never tried to speak it out loud, but in my head I've (probably) butchered it as "coal-hoon"
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/15/04 11:19 PM
My guess is "Cal-hoon"

Another fine Scottish name.
Posted By: player8 Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/15/04 11:35 PM
I have another question, although it might sound silly. How do you pronounce Axiom? Is it "axe-um" or "axi-um?" Or "Axi-ahm"
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/15/04 11:42 PM
'Ak-see-uhm

(Make sure to put the em-PHA-sis on the right syl-LAB-le. )

Depending on what part of the county/world you're from, the last syllable might sound more like "om" than "uhm"
Posted By: player8 Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/15/04 11:44 PM
From the Great Southwest, Phx, AZ.
Posted By: twodan19 Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/15/04 11:45 PM
i thought it to be axe-e-um. the middle e is a long e but don't know how to indicate that.
dan
Posted By: BrenR Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 12:09 AM
AXE-ee-um
ACK-see-um

It's an English word for an established principle or universal truth... see also Postulate, contrast Theorum.

Bren R.

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 12:41 AM
Bren - everytime I see that Avatar, I dive under the desk. Now that you have your Axioms, you aren't thinking about filling a closet with MREs and barricading the house are you?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 01:18 AM
Chess can presumably tell us, but as Peter suggested, Coal-hoon is possible, but even more typically Scottish would be dropping the L to Co-hoon. Chess, the next piece of crucial information we need is Ian's height. Judging from his picture standing by an M80, I had judged about 6'5".
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 03:12 AM
In reply to:

Chess, the next piece of crucial information we need is Ian's height. Judging from his picture standing by an M80, I had judged about 6'5".

Now this is really ironic.
Wait until you read the second paragraph of the factory tour review. The text is almost done and Amie has just approved the pictures.
Soon, very soon.

Whoops, forgot to post this link with the answer you all seek.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 04:52 AM
Does this one make anyone feel better? The haircut I sported upon the DFB (Deutscher Fussball-Bund; German national team) making it into the round of 16 at the 2000 World Cup? Christian Ziege wore a mohawk, so I did too.

Bren R.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 05:10 AM
Or maybe this one?

And yes, Alan... that's a Hitachi Z-One on my shoulder, bro used 4 of them in his multi-camera live gigs until about 2000 or so. Definately commands respect - "I'm with the crew, pardon me or I'll squash you with this"

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 07:11 AM
You gotta love silent Qs.
Posted By: Amie Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 06:03 PM
Correct (Scottish) way to say it is Cu'hoon. But we say Calhoun for dinner reservations ;-)
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 06:26 PM
Silly girl.
Doesn't even know how to pronounce her own name.
Posted By: BigWill Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 06:42 PM
Bren, I'm thinking "Taxi Driver".
Posted By: BrenR Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 07:21 PM
Taxi Driver is honestly one of those movies everyone should see, but I haven't yet.

I feel, ashamed.

Bren R.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 07:23 PM
It's also one of those movies that everyone should see, and then when you finally do, it's not as big of a deal as you were expecting. Don't get me wrong, it's good - but just don't hype it too much, or you'll be let down.

For me, Scorsese has yet to match 'Raging Bull'. Speaking of Raging Bull, when the hell are we going to get a nice remastered, special edition, 2 disc dvd set of that classic picture?

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 07:27 PM
July 10th.

(Am I kidding, or telling the truth? Hmmmm...)
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 07:28 PM
Cough up the link!

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 07:34 PM
Sorry. I pulled the number out of my a$$. What's really strange though, is that Jake LaMotta (the boxer in Raging Bull) was born on July 10th.

I didn't even know what the movie was about until just now.

http://www.ibhof.com/lamotta.htm

[ cue Twilight Zone music ]
Posted By: BigWill Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 08:24 PM
I'll second the "Taxi Driver" comment - much overrated. Same goes for "Apocalypse Now".
Posted By: mhorgel Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 08:33 PM
I agree. Aside from Robert Duvall's luminescent role, Apocalypse Now is mostly tedious. That goes double for Redux, which was actually so dull in places that I wanted to scream. Taxi Driver has a great performance by DeNiro, but I didn't like the movie.

I also don't like Raging Bull. Again, great acting performance, but every character in the movie is loathsome and without any redeeming qualities. I did not enjoy watching this movie in the least.

Mark

Who thinks "Dr. Strangelove" blows all the above movies out of the water.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 09:08 PM
I needed to watch 'Raging Bull' three times before I "got" it. The third time I cried. (OK, not streaming tears, but my eyes did well up.)

Jake LaMotta is not a likable character. In fact he's despicable. The story is about how this awful man had everything he could possibly want out of life and because he was such a prick he lost it all. The worst part is in the end he realizes it all. It's really an amazing movie.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 10:03 PM
YES! I'm right!

Sorry, it's been a tough day; small victories, you know...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/16/04 10:05 PM
Another vastly overrated movie: The Breakfast Club. Go ahead. Watch it again. It's really, really dull. And awful. For that matter, so's Spaceballs. Not quite in the same league as the other movies mentioned, but what the heck...
Posted By: squirrelyz Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/17/04 12:41 AM
I love Dr. Strangelove. "You can't fight in here, it's the war room!"

HA.

^billy
Posted By: BigWill Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/17/04 01:06 AM
Second "Dr. Strangelove". How about "Being There"?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/17/04 06:31 AM
Adding to the list of "must see" movies (of all genres):

-Mel Brooks' History of the World Part 1 (DVD is mono only, sorry guys!)
-the Crow (best soundtrack ever - Cure, NIN, Rage, Violent Femmes, Rollins, ThrillKill, J&M Chain and Jane Siberry)
-the Wanderers
-Rocky Horror Picture Show (whatever happened to Fay Wray?)
-Pink Floyd's the Wall (seen it over 100 times, can quote it word for word and still gives me goosebumps)

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/18/04 11:05 PM
The evidence before the court is incontrovertible -- you have good taste
Posted By: BrenR Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/18/04 11:39 PM
In reply to:

The evidence before the court is incontrovertible

I hate to admit but I saw the movie maybe 3 times before I realized WHAT the judge was (gimme a break, I was 12!)

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/18/04 11:44 PM
You mean this wasn't clear to you? OK, so I was in high school when I saw it the first time. My mind had already been through the gutter and back.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Coquitlam... Cocoa Puffs... - 04/19/04 04:02 AM
In reply to:

You mean this [pic] wasn't clear to you?

I have to ask my fiancee whether or not it's harder to go into court after having seen the Wall and the uh... nether regions judge or not.

(and she's a lawyer - not the defendant!)

Bren R.
© Axiom Message Boards