Axiom Home Page
Posted By: christopherstpa consumer reports - 05/08/04 04:04 PM
why doesn't consumer reports review and rate axiom speakers?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: consumer reports - 05/08/04 04:46 PM
Because Consumer Reports is not a good source for reviews of a/v equipment. They tend to look at the low end, and often end up rating Bose very highly (there's those ad revenues again!)
Posted By: littleb Re: consumer reports - 05/08/04 08:40 PM
I'm not sure why CR doesn't critique Axiom. Shortly after I received my m22s, I emailed them and strongly suggested that they include Axiom. I received a reply that went something like there are so many brands that we can't include everything. I'm not of the same opinion as many that CR is not good at reviewing home audio. I believe their goal is to save their subscribers money and search for products which will do a good job at minimal cost to the consumer. I don't think they review any products that are only purchasable via internet or mail order, but I could be wrong.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: consumer reports - 05/08/04 09:08 PM
Actually, Kcarlile, Consumer Reports does not and has never taken any ad money from anyone. All of CR's revenues comes from subscriptions and magazine sales. They do not accept freebies from manufacturers, buy what they test and accept no advertising.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: consumer reports - 05/09/04 02:30 AM
Ah, slander. Sorry about the misinformation. I still don't see why Bose often scores so highly in their reviews.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: consumer reports - 05/09/04 05:13 AM
Dunno the answer to that one.
Posted By: Twirly22 Re: consumer reports - 05/09/04 12:34 PM
The answer is here: http://www.oyez.org/oyez/resource/case/954/print .

Bose apparently will sue anyone.
Posted By: Twirly22 Re: consumer reports - 05/09/04 12:47 PM
From my 30+ years of experience with Conusmer Reports, I have to say that although their intentions are pure, that doesn't guarantee that their ratings are unassailable. They are generally clueless when it comes to audio equipment, especially speakers.
Posted By: Monstermile Re: consumer reports - 05/09/04 01:22 PM
I would think becuase they review things that are available to the masses at actual retail stores. Also names that people recognize.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: consumer reports - 05/09/04 02:31 PM
re: Bose Supreme Court Suit

Jesus...that may explain why you rarely read negative reviews of any audio products. Not only are publishers afraid of losing ad revenue, even if it's not an advertiser of theirs, they could get sued!

Posted By: BrenR Re: consumer reports - 05/09/04 04:58 PM
In reply to:

Consumer Union's article mistakenly said that Bose loudspeakers caused sounds of individual musical instruments to wander "about the room" when they in fact merely wondered "along the wall[s]."

Wow... how could they get that wrong... the fact is these instruments were said to be wandering about the room when they were in fact wondering along the walls... I would think they would wonder who in the hell would write a review using ANY of those terms.

That's why I read only trade mags... how many rack spaces it is, how much power does it push and what are it's features - tell me what I want to know and spare me the flowery prose.

"Halfway through the Moonlight Sonata, it would seem that the violin was hanging from my chandelier and the cello had crawled almost entirely up my a...
+++
*click*
NO CARRIER
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: consumer reports - 05/10/04 02:22 AM
[
In reply to:

Ah, slander.

No. Libel. Slander is spoken. Libel is written. Both are defamation.
Posted By: JohnK Re: consumer reports - 05/10/04 02:42 AM
Adrien, but what if Ken is one of those who talk as they type? Can double damages be awarded?
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: consumer reports - 05/10/04 01:44 PM
We can always try for double damages now, can't we? And we'll never know without trying....
Posted By: badger98 Re: consumer reports - 05/10/04 02:36 PM
If I were a judge, the lawyer who brought that case into my courtroom would wander "around the room" and wonder "why the judge was chasing him with a cricket bat."

Posted By: FordPrefect Re: consumer reports - 05/10/04 04:53 PM
Lets be honest, you might refer to Consumer Reports if you wanted credible information about a toaster or a microwave or any sort of normal commodity item but I certainly wouldn't rely upon their judgement on anything that I was passionate about.

Years ago they critcised the Corvette because of it's small trunk space. At that point I gave up on them and have lumped them in with Reader's Digest as magazines that are best suited for dentist's offices or the bottom of bird cages.
Posted By: twodan19 Re: consumer reports - 05/10/04 05:07 PM
ford, if consumers cannot rate a/v equipment satisfactorally, how would you expect them to rate appliances. i don't sell appliances, just the parts to fix them, so if you or others need help picking out an appliance, just let me know. yes, we are biased here.
dan
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: consumer reports - 05/11/04 01:30 PM
Most of my comments regarding CR were sarcastic, we really need a "rollseyes" smilie here

I got my haircut this morning and did manage to read my way through part of a CR article on cameras. I must say that they were spot on with their thoughts on rechargeable batteries. It's just that everything is so clinical, I want more passion thankyou .

Then again CR supporters can gloat over the fact that in 57 years I have never ever had a toaster that didn't need babysitting.

Thanks for the offer to help re: picking out appliances Dan, I'll certainly take you up on that one although I do have high hopes that my major ones will manage to outlive me
© Axiom Message Boards