Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/24/04 02:02 AM
Alright, this is waaaayyyy off topic, but as many of you know, I got a new puppy on Friday. I found out this evening that he is a feces eater! He's been sniffing at it but I've been beating him to it, but tonight I walked away and he got there first (stop reading if you will be grossed out by this sort of thing). I turned around and see him with a big piece of poop in his mouth and part of it falling out, then him reaching down to eat it up again (a graphic image that will likely be with me for life). I've read this is normal for dogs, and that they like cat turd especially.

Anyone else run into this? Did the puppy grow out of it? Before today I thought he was being good and holding it until I got home from work, now I'm not so sure.
Posted By: bray Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/24/04 02:55 AM
Yea!!! Talking about gross.
My moms poodle did this when he was a puppy.
Dad went and got some pepper spray and started spraying poop.
That didnt work, so dad put some Marie Sharps Belizean Heat Habanero Pepper Sauce on the poop and after about 2 or 3 times of getting a mouth full extra spicy poop the dog started covering his poop and wouldnt go near it.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bray
Posted By: pmbuko Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/24/04 02:59 AM
In reply to:

He's been sniffing at it but I've been beating him to it...

You do know how wrong that sounds, right?

He'll likely grow out of eating his own poop, but my dog still likes to eat the occasional "kitty roca" (i.e. cat poop with kitty litter on it). No big deal, unless you're incurably squeamish.
Posted By: littleb Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/24/04 03:31 AM
We have a cat and a dog. The dog is a stray Yorkshire terrier we took in. That is one disgusting animal, I tell you. We had a litter box for the cat in the bathroom and one day I found it tipped over onto the floor and all of the doo-doo was missing. And I know that the only creature in the vicinity was that sneaky, disgusting dog. I don't think you can stop this. Dogs are just GROSS! yUCK
Posted By: JohnK Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/24/04 03:42 AM
Good catch, Peter.
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/24/04 06:16 PM
Zarak:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My dog ate everything in sight when I first got her but she learned soon enough what was food and what wasn't. Just keep trying to beat the dog to it, so to speak. The dog will grow out of it. Don't forget that's really a baby you're dealing with. Just a little patience and understanding is required.
Posted By: Wid Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/24/04 09:47 PM
I must say this was the funniest thread I've ever read.I was sitting here at 5 am before work reading this laughing my fool head off.I not sure they grow out of it though,we have a 7 year old dog that still does it.I asked the vet why would he do this and he said,because he likes it.Now that is sick.
Posted By: Zarak Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/25/04 01:51 AM
No, i didn't realize how beating him to it sounded until you pointed it out. I only actually tried it myself once

Hopefully he'll grow out of it. He made quite a mess today...I missed it for the most part since it was one of the few nights my wife got home before me. His duck chew toy is being washed for the second time this week, along with some other things. I think he is about to go up for his second bath as well.

He was good last night at least....he slept until 4:30 am without starting to cry/bark. That's an improvment for him.
Posted By: bray Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/25/04 03:53 AM
What kind of pup did you get??
I have 4 month old blue heeler "Zuzu".
Shes my second heeler (first one was hit by a car 6 months ago)
and wow is she a hand full. But at least she doesnt eat poop!!!!!!!!!
bray
Posted By: KC_Mike Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/25/04 04:33 AM
Years ago my brother and his roomate shared a house along with a boxer, a brittany and a cat. Every time the cat headed for the litter box the dogs would follow it and lay in wait while the cat did its business. As soon as the cat stepped one foot out of the litter box, they would both dart for the litter box and fight over the fresh cat droppings.

Epilogue:
Years later, the brittany was found 8 feet up a tree hanging from its collar and dead. Apparenty, the dog chased a critter (probably a raccoon) up a tree and when it slid back down the tree its collar got snagged on what was left of a broken off branch and hung itself.

The dogs name was Lucky. Irony? Lucky was easily the dumbest dog I ever encountered.
Posted By: twodan19 Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/25/04 02:26 PM
it this dog a...well i'll just go and say it, a $hit eating dog? rather a nasty expression we degenerates in Mass sometimes use.
Posted By: Zarak Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/26/04 02:46 AM
We got a cockapoo. Dad is a cocker spaniel and mom is a poodle. He's only a tiny little 4 lbs now, but should get up to about 20. His second round of shots are on Tuesday.
Posted By: bray Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/26/04 04:48 AM
He might get heavier than that ,eating his meals twice.
Sorry, its just what came to mind.
Post a pic of the little consumer.
Bray
Posted By: Wid Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/26/04 10:48 AM
The wife and I are going tommorow to pick up a pug puppy.I know there is going to be some sleepless nigths ahead.Hopefuly he wont like the same kind of treats.
Posted By: Zarak Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 06/26/04 01:27 PM
I've got to get around to that picture stuff. I don't have anywhere to host them, and can't just put the image in directly. One of these days I'm going to get around to using one of those free hosting sites and get somje pics of him as well as my Axiom setup on here.
Posted By: medic8r Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 09/26/07 07:15 PM
Bump!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 09/26/07 07:29 PM
Quote:

Bump!

uuhhh....why?
Posted By: medic8r Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 09/26/07 07:40 PM
It's an IQ test. If you have to ask ...
Posted By: Hutzal Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 09/26/07 08:13 PM
a test of your IQ? perhaps you should be the one seeing the doctor, not the other way around
Posted By: medic8r Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 09/26/07 08:31 PM
Ha ha ha. Seriously, I was just looking around the old posts and ended up laughing uncontrollably when I read the first few posts here.

Just wanted to share.

Although, if you really want to see a deeper meaning here, you could say that I recycled this post much the same as that dog was a recycler. "Everything old is new again."
Posted By: Zarak Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 09/28/07 02:39 AM
Well, he never did grow completely out of it. He's pretty good about listening when he is on the leash and sniffing at it and we tell him "off". However we have a longer line attached to the deck so he can be outside by himself in the back. Sometimes when we let him out this way by himself I'll come out to get him and catch him in the act of eating it.

He also likes to eat the sleepers from his eyes. I'll remove them from his eyes once in a while when they get bad, and he always tries to eat them after I do.
Posted By: Mojo Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 09/28/07 03:42 AM
Jules said it best. Dogs are filthy animals.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 09/28/07 12:00 PM
Qualify that with "some", perhaps even "many", and I'd agree. Cats on the other hand... nuclear butts, I tell you.
Posted By: CV Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 09/28/07 02:46 PM
What kind of butt does Natalie Portman have?
Posted By: DanielBMe Re: OT: Feces Eaters?! - 09/28/07 08:01 PM
On doing some studying on dog food nutrition, I came across various sites with info related to this. Make sure you feed your puppy good quality dog food. I've read quite a few times were switching to a puppy food like Innova, Wellness, Orijen, or Timberwolf worked wonders. I know my friend who has a Maltese had the same problem and when she switched to Innova, her puppy stopped eating his poop. I can speak very highly of Innova as that's what I use, although recently I just switched to EVO. Try to keep away from dog foods that are mostly full of fillers like corn and grains such as Hills/Science Diet, Iams, Eukanuba, etc. You may also see an improvement in bloating if your dog suffers from that as well.
© Axiom Message Boards