Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lexxen Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/02/04 03:32 AM
I finally moved into my new appartment and I put my order in for the M22's, VP100, EP175 and QS8's. I'm going to hook them up to a H/K 130 (45x5) in my 18 x 11 x 8 living room.

Actually, I need to get my e-mail so that I can send the money order so I won't have oficcially ordered the speakers untill then... Still, I'm pretty excited. I expect that the speakers will be here by friday (hopefully) or monday. Untill then I'll be waiting and unpacking.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/02/04 04:25 AM
Good deal lexxen. Make sure you invite your new neighbors over for an axiom tea party. You know, so they'll get a taste of what a home theater should sound like. Please post pics and impressions soon after you get your gear rollin.
Take care, Mike.
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/02/04 09:56 AM
Congrats man! You've taken your first step into a larger world.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/02/04 07:50 PM
welcome to the Axiom gang
Posted By: Lexxen Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/03/04 08:21 PM
Well, I sent in my money orders yesterday (I had to send three because the post office could only make the money orders $1000 (CAD)

Now I am totally regretting not spending the extra $10 on next day AM delivery... the speakers most likely won't be here untill monday... (unless fed ex/purilator delivers on weekends...) Just think, I could be grinning childishly over the confirmation of shippment e-mail right now :-(

maybe if I beg and plead enough the nice people at axiom will ship the speakers before they get the money orders? I'll love you forever... :-P
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/03/04 08:39 PM
you still got a pretty short wait.. it wont be too bad.. if it seems like a long time, just start thinkin bout those guys that ordr factory and have 6, or 8, and even 12 week waits.. now that is LONG...

plan on skipping a few classes once they get in.. you wont want to leave the speakers alone for very long the first few days.

bigjohn

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/04/04 12:30 AM
Hiya MiniRock,

I took a look at your theater - nice setup! Noticed you are planning on geting an SVS sub. Which one do you have your eye on and when are you pulling the trigger?
Posted By: Lexxen Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/04/04 01:36 AM
Yep, I'm pretty sure that I will skip the whole day that they come. The good thing is if it is monday then I only have one class.

Does anyone know how you can check the status of your shipment (once it ships, of course). I assume that Axiom will send me a FedEx/Purilator number which can be looked up on their respective websites?
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/04/04 01:41 AM
They will send you a tracking number after they ship. (Purolator)
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/04/04 10:23 AM
Thanks for the compliment Ray3. I'm planning on the PB12-Plus2 sometime around 2Q '05.
Posted By: VegasVec Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/05/04 01:09 AM
how long does it normally take once you place orders for a full theater set? say the M60 set?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/05/04 01:10 AM
If you're ordering all new speakers, as opposed to getting some parts from the factory outlet, then you should have them all in less than a week from the time you place the order.
Posted By: Lexxen Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/06/04 03:25 AM
Well, my speakers came today which is a supprise because I wasn't expecting them untill monday. Apparently they were sent through FedEx instead of purolator like my "golden e-mail" said and that is the reason I could not track them online.

They came about 10:19AM -- then only time today that I was out of the appartment. So I had to drive to the airport to pick them up (I think it is safe to assume that they were shipped by air). My first impressions were that the bass was rather boomy and the treble was a bit harsh. After adjusting the sub level with my trusty sound level meter and Avia DCD the bass was no longer boomy, but quite nice and TIGHT!!! (I regret that I cannot turn it up really loud due to girlfriend and neighbour issues). The harshness is partly due to my ears being used to my old daewoo speakers that came with the 3cd changer that my parents bought me for christmas like 7 years ago which didn't really have any highs...or lows...pretty much limited to crappy sounding midbass (they actually sounded ok on the H/k receiver) as well as the fact that the only CDs that I have left are newer pop recordings that are probably recorded "hot" I rended Black Hawk Down and "The Others" to test the surrounds and sub (which I will do in a few minutes)

After watching a few movies and listening to my Beatles CD (the one with all the number one hits) I see that these speakers really are as good as everyone says they are. The only concern that I have (and I will have to phone Axiom about this) is that one of the "T" brackets for hanging the surrounds seems to be...not completely done? The parts on the top of the "T" that bend out so that they can clip into the speaker are not bent out... the whole top peice is just flat. Hmm...sorry I do not have any pictures, I will have to find someone with a digital camera to take some and post htem soon.

My Setup: H/K AVR 130
M22Ti Mains
VP100 Center
EP175 Sub
QS8 Surrounds (BTW, these MUST weigh more
than 11lbs -- they feel heavier than the sub!!!)

Posted By: MiniRock Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/06/04 09:07 AM
Cool! Glad you got your speaks man. I know what you mean about the highs too. I went from Martin Logans to Axiom, and it took about a week to get used to the tiny bit of "harshness" on the top end. One thing that I noticed immediately with the Axiom's though was the huge soundstage, and insane surround envelopment with multichannel tracks. This was something I could never truly achieve using my ML's. In stereo, however, the ML's had no competition. I'm not sure if the "harshness" went away on the Axiom's after they were broken in or if I just got used to it. Axiom has completely won me over though, and they always sound better each time I listen to them. Good luck with getting your replacement bracket, and try to post pics when you can.
Posted By: Lexxen Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/06/04 03:44 PM
I think that it's just that you got used to the "harshness." It is my theory that the speakers are not really that harsh, but that they simply reproduce that extra bit of high frequency that I've never heard before. It is really weird listening to these speakers for two reasons: 1) It is really un-nerving to feel like you are being shot at (BlackHawk Down) 2) I keep on thinking that I am hearing weird noises in both music and movies but then I realise that the weird noise is simply part of the song/movie that I would not have heard with my other speakers because it would have been muddled into the background.

Also, about the bracket I do not know if I need to order another one, I can probably go to a metal shop and have this one bent... don't know if that would void the warranty, though?

Also, I wanted to ask about the allen key screw in the QS8s -- the one which you are supposed to use to hang them with the FMBs. On both of my speakers these screws are magnatized -- it this supposed to be? I mean you are supposed to screw the FMB into the back of the speaker where this screw is but if it is magnatized does that not mean that it is touching the speaker magnet?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/07/04 10:44 PM
Nope, magnetization is like bad taste, you can pick it up by just being in the vicinity.

I imagine that any ferrous object near a speaker magnet is going to get magnetized pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure the Allen screw is the one you are supposed to use for mounting, at least that's what all the threads indicate.
Posted By: Lexxen Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/08/04 06:12 AM
That's reassuring.

BTW, I spent my weekend watching movies and listening to music. Experamented with the placement of my sub, got the surrounds up, had some fun with the Avia disc (especially the LFE tones )

My surround setup is a testiment to the QS series -- I'll try to draw a text pic...

-----------|
X TV |
|
L |
S |
__Couch__X_|

X = QS8
LS = Loveseat

Well, the pic won't really work, but basically the TV is in the right corner with the M22s beside it, (the | lines are supposed to be the right wall) the one QS8 is "pointing" towards the side of the loveseat (a little behind because that was where the stud was, and about 3/4 of a foot from the roof) and the other is about 2-3 feet from the corner, 1.5 feet from the roof pointing towards the TV right above the couch. The surrounds are pretty amazing (but I don't have to tell you guys that, do I?).
There are windows along the right wall and an air conditioner (which is why the TV is not on either the left of right walls) as well a a computer desk on the left wall right next to a window and the hallway to the front door that continues from teh left wall. Oh, and the sub is on the right wall close to the corner with the couch, mostly foe space pourposes, but it does sound a little better there than any other spots that I've tried.

Also, I have all the crossovers set at 120 (mains, center, surrounds) and the crossover on the sub set at 150 (the highest setting) any comments/suggestions about these settings? I think that I can set teh crossovers on the receiver at 80, 100, 120, 200 with each mains, center and surrounds seperate)

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/08/04 06:27 AM
I discovered that the trouble with the text pics is that the posting part (where you actually type the message) uses a monospace font (where all letters are the same width) and the viewing of messages uses a proportional font (where the letters/characters are not the same width).

Anyway... I'd say the crossovers are a little high. I'd take everything down to 80; maybe 100 for the center and surrounds, with the sub at 100 in that case.
Posted By: Lexxen Re: Ordered my Axioms!!!!! - 11/08/04 02:47 PM
yeah. the pic looked ok in teh text-box, but it would not let me line up the right wall part of teh pic -- it seemed like it was taking out all the spaces (I even tryed putting in more spaces and that did not work...)
© Axiom Message Boards