Axiom Home Page
Posted By: oldskoolboarder OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/21/04 11:38 PM
OK, I've been assimilated w/ a 20GB iPod. One of my Xmas presents to myself. The other is a new singlespeed cyclocross frame that I'm getting built up...

I'm a newbie, just got a 20GB 4gen. I have an extensive library of mp3's on my home computer and a subset on my work laptop. I've loaded itunes on my laptop and connected my desktop HDD as a network drive so that the files stay on the desktop but I can still use the laptop to sync. Everything syncs fine on the laptop when I'm at home. At work, that mp3 network drive is gone, so the files are inaccessible. I have iTunes set to only sync specific playlists which is fine.

Today I added a new audible playlist that's on my laptop. I didn't want to sync all the other playlists so I unclicked them. I resynced and my audible files are there but my 2GB of mp3 were erased!

Need some suggestions on how best to handle this scenario.

1) How do move my laptop iTunes environment to my desktop? I have to install iTunes on the desktop but want to mimic my laptop config.

2) What do I need to do to protect the files on the iPod when I sync from work where the network drive is gone? Do I have to do a manual sync or only sync the playlists I'm updating?

Any clever suggestions are welcome. Now I have resync 2GB of files...sigh

Thanks.
Posted By: curtis Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/21/04 11:42 PM
I can't help you since I only sync to one machine, but I bet if you post on Apple's iPod support forum you will get an answer pretty quick. In fact....do a search and I bet you will find your answer.
Posted By: expatbrit Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 12:33 AM
If I remember correctly there is a setting which allows you to choose whether the whole ipod is updated when you sync, or only new/changed songs?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 12:35 AM
There is, but I'm pretty sure that Apple has explicity written this functionality out of iTunes in order to prevent/reduce/avoid potential lawsuits from the RIAA goons. They really don't WANT you to sync from two separate machines. That said, I'm sure there is good info out there on how to do it. ipodding.com is a good source.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 12:37 AM
As for your question #1, I believe there is an import function in iTunes (look in the file menu) for the library data in xml format (how it stores it natively). I have not had a lot of luck doing this on PCs, so move carefully! I've had some luck moving from Mac to PC, and Mac to Mac is easy. I think the last time I tried it on the PC I forgot to try the import thing. I'm sure there are instructions in the help for it, though.

wow, I'm useful...
Posted By: bray Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 12:53 AM
There are also some after market programs that alow you to hook your iPod up to any machine without losing any files. I'm not sure what the name of it is but will work on finding out for you. Someone I worked with offered it to me, but I never had time on that job to get it done.
I think apple tried to sue this company for making it, but lost. I've heard its a great program.
Posted By: Zarak Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 03:37 AM
I haven't delved into IPOD, but from what I understand, MP3 quality is not as good as CD. Since this is the case, what do people on this board see as the benefit of an IPod. Is it just that so much can fit on such a little device?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 05:59 AM
Ever been on a long car trip?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 06:02 AM
Zarak,

It's a compromise, for sure. However, have you ever tried to travel with a CD mega-changer, amp, headphones, and a battery to power the whole thing?

THAT's where the benefit of the sound-quality trade-off comes from. Convenience.
Posted By: curtis Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 06:49 AM
I am going to say this again....it maybe a compromise, but I bet most people can not tell the difference between a CD and a 256b/s rip done with good software and played back on good equipment.

Most people playback MP3's on inferior hardware.....which adds to the degradation.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 07:00 AM
Right now, I listen to MP3s streamed wirelessly to my stereo MUCH more often than I listen to CDs. Part of the reason has to do with the pain in the butt it is to remove the anti-toddler plexiglass in front of my A/V equipment. But the main reason is that I've come to like having complete control of what music I listen to, down to the genre, album, or song at any given time.

I use iTunes exclusively and Smart Playlists combined with Party Shuffle are my weapons of choice.

The majority of my collection is ripped at 160kbps. I don't often sit in front of the speakers anymore -- I'm busy chasing the kid much of the time -- so it's pretty hard for me to notice the compression artifacts.
Posted By: curtis Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 07:39 AM
Peter...what are you using the stream? How is it connected to the receiver?

Smartlists and Party shuffle are great!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 08:25 AM
I'm using an Airport Express connected with a standard mini-stereo to RCA cable. I may invest in the Keyspan remote soon, though it is a bit pricey.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 08:41 AM
Curtis is that Keyspan remote what I'd need to use the Airport Express downstairs while streaming from upstairs? I don't quite understand how that remote works. Do you get a video interface through your tv?

Posted By: curtis Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 08:48 AM
Peter...you should get the digital connection kit.....it sound great.

spiff....nope, that will not give you a video interface.

You may like the Roku and Slimp3 devices better than the Airport Express.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 08:50 AM
curtis, I know I know. My receiver has but one optical input, currently being used by my DirecTiVo.
Posted By: curtis Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 09:13 AM
oops...sorry
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 06:37 PM
So apple responded.

To move my iTunes "environment" to another computer:
By default, the xml file (and it's binary counter part ending in 'itl') live in \My Music\iTunes. You can using the "Import.." command to import the xml file, and it will create the binary file automatically, restoring all your playlists, etc.

You'll need to have the iPod in "Manual Sync" mode in both iTunes, otherwise you'll continue to get warned that the iPod is linked to another Library. You will *not* be able to copy music off the iPod from within iTunes, so to synchronize your library databases, you'll need to use the "Add To Library..." command, or drag and drop any newly added songs into the other iTunes.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 08:04 PM
Wow. You actually got a response from Apple? I work for an Apple authorized reseller and half the times I don't get responses from Apple!
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: OT: Need an iTunes expert - 12/22/04 10:43 PM
I posted several times since yesterday. I've gotten responses in about a few hours. They even responded when I asked a question about EphPod. I was sure they'd delete my post.

I was trying to see if I could run iPod on one PC and EphPod on another and still be able to autosync. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that the iPod can maintain the same library on itself, no matter what I did on each of the PCs. Possible corruption could occur. Not worth it at that point, gotta live w/ manual sync.
© Axiom Message Boards