Axiom Home Page
Woo Hoo!
A shoot for which I was just preparing to leave was cancelled. I can't help but be a little happy to have my afternoon free when I've got so much to get caught up on! So what do I do first? Come visit you guys, of course!

So the question for the day (or week, if it gets legs….!):

What product would you like to see Axiom introduce and why? Bigger flagship? Outdoor speakers? Car speakers?

I'll start:
I'd like to see two products. The first would be an M120. This would be a 50" tall Floorstander with (2) 12" powered woofers. Yes, woofers; not subwoofers… I think those should remain a separate specialty speaker. But imagine a bigger floorstander with a 200/watt amp built-in for the bass and a flat response to 30Hz! As to why I would like to see a speaker like this? So when I finally "get over the hump" and start making decent money, OR, get an inheritance, OR in a little lottery money and build a specialty theater/music room, Axiom can get my $8,000 speaker budget instead of someone else!

The second product would be an EP-400… a little brother to the 600 and 500 for those of us who would like deeper bass than the 350 offers, but have small enough rooms that they can't justify $1100 on a sub that only gets turned up ¼ of the way at most! Hey, the 500 and 600 are great subs from all accounts, but in a little room like mine? I need something between the 350 and the 500 with the technology of the 500 but less power, extension, output, and cost.

Who's next?

How about an M55? (M70, perhaps) A 2 1/2 way with three 6.5" mids using one tuned as a midrange. I imagine it as a "Pleasant" speaker with a more detailed midrange to more closely approximate the clarity of the M60 without being quite as foreward. Not "laid back", but "relaxed" or "easygoing".
Posted By: LT61 Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 02/02/05 08:17 PM
Mark,

I still would like to see a "M70"..like the one I posted about many moons ago......two 8" woofers, and a slightly larger cabinet, (like the M80) and...REAL WOOD veneers.....
(Oak for mine.)
The M60's will be hard to improve on, though.

Or.....a NICE guitar amp!

LT

I second the EP400 idea.

Hmm...what else?

Just some quick thoughts:

1) VP250 - A ported center channel with the ability to go down solidly to at least 50hz.

2) QS10 - Quadpolar surrounds that are also able to reach 50hz.

3) M25ti - a larger bookshelf. One 6.5" woofer, One 5.25" mid, and one 1" tweeter. Give me an Axiom bookshelf speaker that rivals the Veritas 2.2i

4) Subs with built in EQ's to help flatten the response in difficult rooms

5) Better grills. More solidly built, perhaps even magnetic.

6) Limited Edition models with real wood veneers, high grade binding posts, and the above mentioned grills.

7) "Multi-media" speakers. A line of Axioms designed specifically for use with your PC. Something like this, but obviously much higher quality.

8) A demo cd with every speaker purchase.

9) A business partnership with a fellow Canadian electronics company so as to offer package deals on speakers and electronics. Imagine a discount offer of a pair of M80's and a Bryston Integrated amp...or some such idea.

Posted By: Ray3 Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 02/02/05 09:07 PM
Nice job spiff, but you didn't leave much for the rest of us!

1. How about a partnership with someone like Denon or HK for all of their products?

2. Before 2x6 gets here, how about a tube amp and a 2 channel package (2 speakers and a tube) at a discounted price?

outdoor speakers. because i need some.
amen brother, ive got a big porch and i love grilling out in the summer. and i wholeheartedly support the EP400!!
If there were an EP-400, I wouldn't have any doubt about upgrading (per my thread about my considerations on that front). Good call!
Just pondering...

They've just recently changed their name (or at least the banner on their site) to Axiom Hometheaters from Axiom Loudspeakers. Seems like an odd name change for a company that doesn't sell any sort of electronics. Perhaps that's next?

I am not sure I like that name change......I think it takes away from the music aspect.

Hmmmm......maybe a projector?
OK I'll order the vp 250 and a set of the m120's please!
I agree Curtis. Not fond of the name change myself. Though if they are indeed looking to get into the electronics end of things as well, and selling entire HT packages, it makes sense.

Weren't there some rumors that electronics were in the works? Or were they just about the amps in the EP500 and 600 subs?

With the knowledge they gained from producing those subs, they could easily release all their speakers as active models. And if you buy an Active HT package, they could include an Axiom-designed pre-amp/surround processor to feed the speakers.

Drool...
Posted By: JSkip Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 02/03/05 02:08 AM
I'd like to see outdoor speakers. It would make my shopping for them easier.

What about an M2 with full shielding to use as a center channel.
Yes. Yes.

Also a floorstanding M22 with M40-like bass extension.
how about a design/build your own work shop. for x-amount of dollars you sit down with the designers and production people and build what ever new product you want. then they would name the product after you and if anyone bought it you would royalties. i know it sounds crazy but i thought since we are dreaming anyway right?
Jake
Posted By: Ray3 Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 02/04/05 06:39 PM
Jake - don't you have a WHOLE lot of drywall to get done for your Axioms and the Super Bowl? Let's get cracking mister!!!
I think that it is time that Ian conquers the in-wall speaker problems. Something that will work well as a rear (7.1) surround fill in.
I agree with Adrien. My interest in new Axiom products revolves around those that fill my currently identified needs. I need a weather-resistant M3.

I'd also like to see the in-wall problem solved. I appreciate the insurmountable physics problems. However, there is no way I'm ever going to be able to find room in my kitchen or bathrooms for traditional box speakers, even small ones on elegant brackets. In the ceiling could be a completely different story.
I agree with Tom about the M3. Of all the speakers Axiom makes, I think it would be best-suited for outdoor use. Flat speakers (M2,M22) tend to sound a bit thin without the reinforcement that comes enclosed spaces. The M3's +3dB hump at 100Hz would help it sound fuller outdoors.
In reply to:

I agree with Adrien. My interest in new Axiom products revolves around those that fill my currently identified needs. I need a weather-resistant M3.

I also agree with Tom.

My new house is going to have the back porch wired for the 2nd zone from my Sherwood. I also need a weather-resistant M3 (They'd have to do something about the port, though...great place for a wasp nest or bird's nest)

WhatFurrer
You guys are wimps!
I want weatherproof M80s and EP600s!

If you're gonna have outdoor music....Have a Block Party!
Mark and I have very different neighbors (and budgets).

Steve, good call on the port problem As Peter surmised, I was talking about the sonic signature without regard to the form factor. That's an engineering problem. I'm a data guy.

Dare to dream.
In reply to:

Steve, good call on the port problem As Peter surmised, I was talking about the sonic signature without regard to the form factor. That's an engineering problem. I'm a data guy.

Actually, I had been toying with the idea of lightweight, small square wire mess for going over the port for keeping out the creepy crawlies...

Just an idea, mind you.

But that does not address the exposure of internal components to condensation...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: CV Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 09/04/07 06:53 AM
I was just reading this thread, and it's amazing how much Axiom listens to its customers. EP400, outdoor M3s, and a bigger floorstander that's in the works. Anyone have any new requests to make?

Oh, and I forgot to mention the real wood veneers, in-wall speakers, and partnership with Sherwood Newcastle. This company may listen too much.
Quote:

The second product would be an EP-400… a little brother to the 600 and 500 for those of us who would like deeper bass than the 350 offers, but have small enough rooms that they can't justify $1100 on a sub that only gets turned up ¼ of the way at most! Hey, the 500 and 600 are great subs from all accounts, but in a little room like mine? I need something between the 350 and the 500 with the technology of the 500 but less power, extension, output, and cost.

I wrote this 2 1/2 years ago, and I'm STILL waiting for my complimentary EP400!
Your room would still suck.
Only 50% of the time. When the mythical free EP400's cone was moving outward, the resulting pressure (i.e. blow) would just about cancel out the room's suckiness.
But 50% of the time, when the mythical free EP400's cone was moving inward, wouldn't it suck twice as much?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 09/04/07 07:32 PM
Damn law of averages!
Posted By: CV Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 09/05/07 03:15 AM
Mark, weren't you going to build a new home theater room sometime? Maybe I'm remembering someone else saying that.
I had wondered aloud several times about finishing off the attic to gain a little more living space, but never made any specific plans to do so.

In the past two years, we replaced our furnace, put in new windows, a new roof and had the house sided. As we speak, the front porch renovation will be finished today.

What I'd really like to do is to add an addition to the back of the house…a window and skylight-filled, vaulted-ceiling addition (to be specific). Despite the house being on a main road and having lots of traffic noise in the front, in the back we have two lots, one of which is mostly wetlands and surprisingly free of most traffic noise. Those windows will allow the southern sun and bird tweeting into the room, while the dimensions and ceiling height will help my Axiom Tweeting… and woofing. When / if that room happens, you'll hear me speak no more of Thy Room That Sucketh (TM).

All I need is $100~$150K that's lyin' around doin' nuthin'.
Mark, the house looks great ( I had to peak at the rest of the photo's), a very charming home, I love that style.
Nice facelift on the house, Mark! You should have contacted This Old House and done an episode.
Posted By: CV Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 09/05/07 05:36 PM
I hope you trip over that pile of money sooner rather than later. It would be such a heartwarming story, going from worst to first! Seriously, there should be more movies about home theater construction/renovation.
Now you guys have my head swelling! Thank God I started this thread so that I'm only hijacking myself!

What a difference a year makes:

We're having a new sign made and will install it with granite posts to match the new granite steps we'll be getting. Granite, here in the Granite State, is like dirt anywhere else!
Awesome! I like what you did with the trees and sky, they look so much better!

Seriously (who, me?!), that's a great before and after. Super job all around. I especially like the cranberry colored shutters. Great choice.
Thanks!
The freakin' trees were a b*tch to do. Thank God for the Hot Glue Gun!
Quote:

Thank God I started this thread so that I'm only hijacking myself!

Along those lines... great photography on your site as well. I don't have much experience with concert/performance photography (only shot a few musicals back in college) but the use of ambient lighting really makes for great images. I always hate how flash photography looks when there are so many better (although more difficult) ways to capture the mood of an event.

-Todd...
Posted By: Mojo Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 09/05/07 07:46 PM
Mark,

Wonderful job on your house. And tremendous photography too. I wish you all the best with your business.
Getting rid of the scaffolding made a big difference. Nice work !

Seriously, the house looks great.

I think I was the one who said that you were building a new home theater room
Posted By: Ajax Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 09/05/07 08:15 PM
I know that older houses can be a pain due to the very deterioration yours experienced. But, they have so much character. That's a lovely place, Mark, and you've done a wonderful job fixing it up.

Got a real boot out of the steps initially being formed over the two boulders. Apparently, they were as unmovable back then as they proved to be today. LOVED the clever solution of creating the lip. Never discount the ingenuity of New Englanders.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 09/05/07 08:16 PM
Jack, you have better eyes than I do.
Posted By: Ajax Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 09/05/07 08:23 PM

VERY nice, Mark.

You guys crack me up.

Neener neener - Mark has boulders under his porch.

Quote:

It'll be a pleasure to occasionally pull out a hose...

Yes, Mark, I'm sure it will.

Cranberry shutters, for chrissake. What's next? Are we going to make a date to give each other pedicures? Eeeuw.
Nice job, Mark! Looks like you put in a lot of work, and it's nice to see the results payoff so handsomely. What your house lacks in acoustic friendliness makes up for in character.
Too bad that character is a well-preserved old fart who thinks a Victrola is good enough for anybody. In any room.
Posted By: Ajax Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 09/06/07 10:00 AM
Tsk Tsk. Talking about Mark that way, shame on you.
Quote:

Jack, you have better eyes than I do.

He wasn't using his eyes. He was remembering that damn stone being in the way when he helped build the house.
Not likely.

The house is only 105 years old.

I was in Franklin Pierce's homestead yesterday (producing a video for the visitor center) and was pretty sure I saw a painting of Jack over one of the fireplace mantels. He looked so young, too.... like he was only in his 40s or so at the time....
Posted By: Ajax Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 09/06/07 05:13 PM

Thanks, Todd (and everyone else) about the kind words! It seems like I was outside every half hour this past week and have gotten WAY behind on my Axiom reading...and evertything else!

I really was at the Franklin Pierce homestead the other day, and after all their talk of "authenticity", found myself feeling a bit guilty about covering this place with vinyl and man-made materials. It HAS lost a bit of charm, but I just have to be realistic about the maintainance and keeping it professional looking for the business.

And John, your wonderful journal of building your house (which kept me enthralled for hours, partially because YOUR house is MY dream house but also because of the "personality" of the writing!) is what prompted me to do this in the first place!
Hey I did pretty good way back then! We've got the better grills, we've got the wood veneers, the computer speakers are due out in November, and they've partnered with an electronics company. wow.

If any of my other suggestions come true, I'd guess it'll be the VP250.

Quote:

I second the EP400 idea.
<br>
<br>Hmm...what else?
<br>
<br>Just some quick thoughts:
<br>
<br>1) VP250 - A ported center channel with the ability to go down solidly to at least 50hz.
<br>
<br>2) QS10 - Quadpolar surrounds that are also able to reach 50hz.
<br>
<br>3) M25ti - a larger bookshelf. One 6.5" woofer, One 5.25" mid, and one 1" tweeter. Give me an Axiom bookshelf speaker that rivals the Veritas 2.2i
<br>
<br>4) Subs with built in EQ's to help flatten the response in difficult rooms
<br>
<br>5) Better grills. More solidly built, perhaps even magnetic.
<br>
<br>6) Limited Edition models with real wood veneers, high grade binding posts, and the above mentioned grills.
<br>
<br>7) "Multi-media" speakers. A line of Axioms designed specifically for use with your PC. Something like this, but obviously much higher quality.
<br>
<br>8) A demo cd with every speaker purchase.
<br>
<br>9) A business partnership with a fellow Canadian electronics company so as to offer package deals on speakers and electronics. Imagine a discount offer of a pair of M80's and a Bryston Integrated amp...or some such idea.
<br>
<br>

Posted By: CV Re: My favorite non-existant Axiom product.... - 09/11/07 04:31 AM
Happy Birthday!
why thank you.
Quote:

What product would you like to see Axiom introduce and why?

An ABX box for the audio masses.
Educate and make a profit at the same time.
© Axiom Message Boards