Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack OT: In the market for a new camcorder? - 02/03/05 02:10 PM
Hey my Axiomite buddies, my old JVC VHS-C camcorder is not cutting it anymore. Not that it does not work, it still works great, but it is a hassle to playback the tapes in their entirety, just to get them onto a DVD+R disc in my cheap Cyberhome DVD Recorder/Player. So I'm looking for suggestions. I don't want to spend much more than 600-700 smackers US. Do I want to go Mini DV or look at some of these units from Sony or Panasonic that have the built in DVD-R disc ability, so I just pull the disc out and enjoy. I really don't do much additional editing. My Cyberhome lets me change the title menus and add thumbnails to chapters, that is fine. I do have a 2x burner in my computer, yuck, but no firewire, just USB. The recent addition to our family is now almost 6 months, and we have not taken as much footage of him than our first son, the wife is not happy.

thanks in advance,

Randy

Posted By: Rock_Head Re: OT: In the market for a new camcorder? - 02/03/05 05:36 PM
Hi Randy,
I went through the same dilemma a few months ago. My son was approaching the six month mark and my wife suggested that we invest in a camcorder. I won't go into too much detail however I spent many hours on cnet.com and epinions.com. It was driving me crazy! I was close to purchasing a Sony Mini DV unit however a sales person talked me out of it. The Sony models are a little over priced for what you get. To make a long story short, I walked into a local store one day with the wife and kid in tow, saw a Canon Optura 300 on sale for $700 cdn.(regular $1400)and bought it. I wouldn't have spent $1400 for this camcorder but the 50% discount was too good to pass up. I was planning on spending $750 for a Sony so this was twice the unit for about the same price. In summary, this model is very user friendly. As a side note, many sales people had told me to stay away from the DVD-R disc models as the manufacturers haven't quite perfected this format yet. Good luck in your search.
Cheers,
Shaun
Posted By: gstines Re: OT: In the market for a new camcorder? - 02/03/05 05:57 PM
Check this site below.

www.camcorderinfo.com

Posted By: SirQuack Re: OT: In the market for a new camcorder? - 02/03/05 06:40 PM
thanks guys, I'll just have to do some research, just like I did when I bought my Axioms. I have had better luck with DVD+R formats, but with most of the newer players, they should play both with no problems.

thanks again, Randy

© Axiom Message Boards