Axiom Home Page
Posted By: snakeyes Sony & Toshiba agreement? - 04/21/05 09:22 PM
i dont know how much i believe this report but it sounds good.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Sony & Toshiba agreement? - 04/22/05 12:05 AM
Wow, I really WANT to believe it.

A spontaneous outbreak of (profit driven) common sense? This new Pope is REALLY good!
Posted By: James_T Re: Sony & Toshiba agreement? - 04/22/05 01:14 AM
Haha! Thanks ray. That made me laugh out loud.
Posted By: TNTguy Re: Sony & Toshiba agreement? - 04/22/05 09:24 AM
Bill Hunt at www.thedigitalbits.com has updates on this topic, so check his site regularly.

He chimed in on the topic a few days ago, giving him a chance to lay into Hollywood and the need for one format to benefit both the consumer and the studios. He has mentioned before having two formats will delay serious interest with casual consumers, and worst case scenario, be a niche market. Interesting stuff.
Posted By: hashts Re: Sony & Toshiba agreement? - 04/24/05 11:45 PM
Just like Ray I really want to believe this but the realities make it all seem like smoke and mirrors. I read somewhere this is all just bullsh!t posturing and when both camps release their respective products, can blame one another for lack of interoperability.

Both products are WAY too far along to throw it away (and not necessarily start from scratch) but certainly go back to the drawing board. Significant changes will have to be made to make each tech work together. This means R&D, manufacturing, and testing before unleashing the finished product to the consumer. My lay opinion is that this will take anywhere from 1-2 years. With HD-DVD poised to debut later this year I doubt they would cancel that only to redesign it.

Disclaimer: In no way am I an expert, this is all just my humble opinion. I certainly hope I'm wrong but both camps have already come way too far to turn back now.
Posted By: curtis Re: Sony & Toshiba agreement? - 05/10/05 10:10 PM
Looks like they are headed in the right direction.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/10/technology/dvd_format.reut/index.htm
Posted By: curtis Re: Sony & Toshiba agreement? - 05/10/05 10:20 PM
maybe I posted too quickly....because then there is this article!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/10/toshiba_slams_hd_claims/
Posted By: hashts Re: Sony & Toshiba agreement? - 05/19/05 06:24 PM
Well it seems the talks are already stalling and I'm not holding out much hope.

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=8097
Posted By: TNTguy Re: Sony & Toshiba agreement? - 05/19/05 07:28 PM
"Begun this format war has."
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Sony & Toshiba agreement? - 05/19/05 07:47 PM
"Confused the customers will be!!"

bigjohn
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Sony & Toshiba agreement? - 05/19/05 10:12 PM
i was reading that the sony ps3 will be a blueray player i think that will help blueray get the advantage for 400-500 you can get a ps3 and be able to watch blueray disks that is pretty good considering blueray and hd-dvd players are estimated to be in the $1000 range.
Jake
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Sony & Toshiba agreement? - 05/20/05 12:04 AM
Break me a f***ing give!
Posted By: BrenR Re: Sony & Toshiba agreement? - 05/20/05 04:59 AM
The general opinion of "Revenge of the Sith" seems to be that it marks a distinct improvement on the last two episodes, "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones." True, but only in the same way that dying from natural causes is preferable to crucifixion.

Why is it I immediately feel this way about every blockbuster piece of CG wank that a washed up megalomaniac director squeezes out (I'm looking in your directions, George Lucas, James Cameron, the Wachowski Brothers and to a lesser extent Tim Burton) and leaves floating around, corn and all, on the lips and in the minds of the movie watching public?

I'm starting to wonder if I'm the last human alive that isn't awe-struck by readily apparent, masturbatory CG that does nothing to enhance a storyline. Am I the only one on the planet's face that would prefer to have to think about what I'm watching rather than have each plot twist not even telegraphed... but faxed in in triplicate, annotated and with an accompanying set of flash cards?

I like to be disturbed, I don't need a happy ending - I want the ending that fits the story, and I like my physics to be at least partially grounded on this planet.

All this Lucas talk... finally overflowed my "turn the other cheek" mug.

Bren R.
© Axiom Message Boards