Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Seabear Who is LG? - 04/27/05 01:22 AM
Who is LG?
Lately I have seen a flood of products in the market from this company, from my new cell phone to stoves and fridges to monitors and LCD TV screens.
Who are they, and where did they come from so quickly?
Is it a rebranded version of something that has been around for a while?

Posted By: real80sman Re: Who is LG? - 04/27/05 01:34 AM
Here is the Corporate Information Page for LG Electronics. If I'm not mistaken, they started out as Goldstar. They sure have come up-market from those days.

I've had 2 LG burners for my computer, and they have never hicupped or missed a beat. Very reliable.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Who is LG? - 04/27/05 01:35 AM
LG

Posted By: md55 Re: Who is LG? - 04/27/05 02:05 AM
LG used to sell in the US as Goldstar brand. They are making move up and have recently begun marketing under their corporate name similar to the way Datsun did when it wanted to move up and started using the parent company name Nissan. I hadn't heard of LG untill last year when I was in Panama. They were a premium brand down there selling everything from refridgerators, air conditioners to all the stuff you see now. LG and Samsung are the two big Korean electric/electronics giants.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Who is LG? - 04/27/05 03:20 AM
My folks just bought a LG LCD television, it is very nice. I like the black border around the screen, helps with perceived contrast.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Who is LG? - 04/27/05 11:10 AM
Somewhere I "think" I read "Lucky Goldstar" I know that sounds corny, but...
Posted By: Seabear Re: Who is LG? - 04/27/05 12:27 PM
Well, there you go.
Come up with a snappy new logo, the "Life's Good" tag line, and start selling your stuff for more money, instead of selling it cheaply on the shelves at WalMart, and Voila!
A New Brand!
I'll bet that Best Buy wouldn't have digital LCD computer monitors stacked from one end of the store to the other if they still said Goldstar!
Wow.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Who is LG? - 04/27/05 12:50 PM
I've got a Goldstar 17" monitor sitting on my desk and never had a problem with it. I've had it at least since 1998...maybe longer.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who is LG? - 04/27/05 01:09 PM
i have a goldstar 19" tv that i bought in the early 90's that is still kicking strong. it was stored in the garage for 3 years with a trash bag over it cause we had no place for it.. then, my wife set-up a dvd/movie station in her scrapbook room, and i set it up, plugged it in, and it has worked just fine.

bigjohn

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who is LG? - 04/27/05 01:35 PM
Plus, it has RCA audio inputs!

Posted By: littleb Re: Who is LG? - 04/27/05 01:49 PM
For years they had been selling their TVs under the name Zenith. But, I read they had recently decided to start selling their upper line with the LG branding, and use Zenith for lower end product.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who is LG? - 04/27/05 02:00 PM
mark- ah, yes.. you remember that story..

i tried to forget..

bigjohn
Posted By: bridgman Re: Who is LG? - 04/27/05 04:48 PM
>>Somewhere I "think" I read "Lucky Goldstar" I know that sounds corny, but...

Bingo !!

Lucky Goldstar is one of the big Korean "chaebols" (mega-conglomerates), along with Samsung, Hyundai and a couple of others. I worked with LG in Korea about 15 years ago (arranging for them to manufacture a computer workstation we were selling to Unisys) and at the time there were about 150 different companies in the LG group.
Posted By: snippy Re: Who is LG? - 04/28/05 12:35 AM
They also sponsor the huge outdoor cieling in downtown Las Vegas.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Who is LG? - 04/28/05 02:12 AM
>>I worked with LG in Korea about 15 years ago (arranging for them to manufacture a computer workstation we were selling to Unisys) and at the time there were about 150 different companies in the LG group.

... despite having 150 companies in the LG group, they still ended up sourcing most of the monitor guts from KEC -- the Korea Explosives Company. The resulting workstation was pretty reliable even so, although the monitors did tend to blow up from time to time
Posted By: mbj Re: Who is LG? - 04/29/05 06:58 PM
Ditto, except mine is from 1997, I believe. I got it off of some Web auction site that subsequently went under.
© Axiom Message Boards