Axiom Home Page
Posted By: NeverHappy Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 04/27/05 05:01 AM
Does anyone here have experience with this amp? I had one years ago but can't really remember much. Reason for the question is I have a family member bound and determined to get one but he wants to know my thoughts.............and I don't have (save the jokes) any on this amp.

Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 04/27/05 02:39 PM
i have heard users on another board mention this amp, as well as a parasound amp and outlaw audio amp, as being one of the best 5 x 200 amps for home theatre and music out there for the price.

i think it was on hometheatrespot

but i have no experience with it, sorry
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 04/27/05 03:23 PM
I used this amp (demoed) for about a month with a Def Tech BP3000 HT set, an M&K S-150 package, and various Sonus Faber speakers as well, in my home. It's a beastly amp man that easily made those speakers sound so awesome in a way that some other amps, and definitely no receiver, I tried never could. I say tell your friend to go for it!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 04/28/05 12:09 AM
If it helps with the decision, I've heard these amps are extremely efficient -- somewhere around 95%. They are basically class D and use a tracking downconverter power supply which samples the input signal voltage 130,000 times a second and keeps the output running just above that. Practically no wasted energy, so the things run very cool and can be intalled in a closed space.
Posted By: Newf Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 04/28/05 01:43 PM
Sunfire/Carver are some of the best amps I've ever used. How you could own one and not remember it is beyond me. I wouldn't have sold it.

Get it. It's a really good amp.

Posted By: freesey Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 04/28/05 11:33 PM
I may be mistaken but Ive heard the processor is good, but was told i shouldnt even consider anything else by carver- apparently he was taken to court for overrating the power output of his subwoofers and some other things :\
keep in mind - this is what Ive HEARD
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 04/29/05 04:49 AM
If anything I think you may have it backwards. Most of what I have been reading over the last few day's seems to indicate his processors are average at best but his amps are outstanding and actually produce far more power then is listed.

As for the lawsuit, it really didn't have anything to do with power.(At least not the one I'm thinking of)

http://www.audioholics.com/news/pressreleases/sunfiresubwooferlawsuit.php
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/02/05 02:15 AM
Thanks for the feedback everybody!

I have been running around for the last few day's trying out various Rotel, NAD and a ton of others but he won't budge on the Carver. Perhaps he knows something I don't. So.........I grabbed him a used Cinema Grand Architect II. It's rated at 425 X 5 into 8 ohms..........................as you can imagine, it's being shipped to my house for a little testing before he gets it!

It's been awhile since I tried a new amp. The power ratings on this thing have me very curious. From what I read on the net this thing actually does it. I have owned a lot of amps in my day but this one on paper, puts out more wattage then anything I have owned.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/10/05 02:17 AM
Well it's here and I have it hooked up for anyone who cares.

Anyway, I'm going to be deaf in an hour for sure. This thing has power reserves like I have never seen in an amp before. I thought my old Stratos had headroom but this thing just keeps going and going.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/10/05 02:34 AM
NeverHappy, curious as to what speakers he'll be using? 425 watts per channel right? Yikes! This is the amp with the power/voltage meter on the front face right? Always liked the looks of that. Photos?

Michael
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/10/05 02:45 AM
If the amp actually gets to his house (I may keep it) it will be running a set of M80's that I sold him many months back. Yes this is the one with the voltage meter on the front. Doesn't do much but it sure looks purty!
Posted By: richeydog Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/10/05 02:51 AM
Wow. I've read the Sunfire amps can double their output into 4 ohms correct? If that's true then he's pushing 850 watts into his m80's. Double yikes. Tharkun, you sure you don't need a bigger amp? haha
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/10/05 03:00 AM
Scary part is I think this thing can do it. It just never runs out of gas. I have been cranking music at close to 90db for the last hour with me going in and out of the room and the Sunfire is actually cool to the touch. I have heard they stay cool but this is bizzare.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/10/05 03:07 AM
Sounds like you're having a ball with "your" new toy. The amp's ability to stay cool is thanks to its extemely efficient design. Heat = wasted energy, so cool running is a great thing.
Posted By: curtis Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/10/05 04:16 PM
I'd be interested in the noise floor. I know these amps have lots of headroom, but from stuff that I have read, people say that the amps have a bit of a hiss when idle.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/11/05 12:56 AM
How much does it weigh? Sounds like a beast.
Posted By: curtis Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/11/05 01:06 AM
The Sunfire amps are not very heavy because of their "down tracking" power supplies.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/11/05 05:37 AM
I think it comes in at 40 pounds and I have heard about the hum that some claim these things have. All I can say to that is the one I have sitting here is dead quite. The auto trigger is very cool also. Instead of a 12 volt trigger, it senses an audio signal like a sub and wakes the amp up. It works better then I would have thought. I have yet to have an audio delay when I fire up my HK and play something. The Sunfire wakes up in no time and is off and running.

It really is a very nice amp.....................and I still can't get over the fact that this thing doesn't even get warm.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/11/05 06:14 AM
SOLD.......
Posted By: michael_d Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/12/05 03:06 PM
I probably shouldn't even ask, as I am an impulsive spender, but what do they run - price wise?
Posted By: curtis Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/12/05 04:19 PM
You can find them used for about $1200.....sometimes more, sometimes less.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/12/05 04:31 PM
Don't think so, and I'm pleased with the Halos. Sunfire was beyond my budget, four new Sunfire 300 amps would have cost me more than the Halo A21s and the C2.

Bob Carver is from my home state/town and doubt if he would remember me from the 70s, I purchased some of the Phase Linear products, and also some of the Carver line when PL was sold to Panaonic in the late 70s. (geez, I'm really dating myslef on the Carver line)and since I'm living in CA now, supported the local company as I had done with his PL/Carver Company.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/12/05 11:01 PM
note to self: start an electronics company near Dennis.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 X 200 - 05/13/05 05:27 AM
Sounds like a good plan to me.
© Axiom Message Boards