Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ravi_singh NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/03/05 09:21 PM
mine skips. does anyone else have this problem?

i suspect it might be my player, but... i'm just trying to rule out the possibilities
Posted By: bigjohn Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/03/05 09:28 PM
OUCH... brand new out of the box its skipping?

man, that would sure put me in a bad mood. hope you can get it resolved..

bigjohn
Posted By: Zarak Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/03/05 10:48 PM
I've heard of people having problems with skipping with certain Dualdiscs. Some players don't seem to handle them well. Try it in a different player (car changer perhaps?)

I'm on my fourth listen through. Got it at 10am and listened through twice in the car while driving today, and am on my second listen in 5.1 on the Axioms now. In the middle of With - a Tee - TH (that's the way it sounds, anyway.
Posted By: Zarak Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/03/05 10:49 PM
BTW...anyone dig up a good copy of the lyrics yet? The .pdf file on the NIN site is tough to read. I want them all in one place like normal lyrics without the fancy graphics. I'm sure they'll appear on the lyric sites in the next couple of days.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/03/05 11:24 PM
no i haven't found the lyrics.

i figured if i leave my tv on it plays without a hitch, but with my tv off it messes up. try explaining that one.

by the way, for those of you familiar with the album, here's a funny review by the meathead perspective:

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/mp_050305.html

enjoy!
Posted By: Zarak Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/03/05 11:59 PM
I was just reading meathead earlier...I was cracking up. You definately need to hear the album before reading it for it to be funny though. I don't normally pay attention to meathead, but that one was good.
Posted By: BrenR Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/04/05 03:51 AM
In reply to:

NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio mine skips. does anyone else have this problem?

With Trent Reznor, how can you tell?

Bren R.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/04/05 06:20 AM
ow.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/04/05 02:57 PM
LOL BrenR.... TOO funny, too true.

but if you really want to hear something that will make you feel that way, listen to an album called Confield by Autechre.
Posted By: ringmir Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/05/05 03:48 PM
Confield is great for that... then again Autechre in general has that effect. I'm going to see them on Monday, hope they put on a good show!
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/05/05 04:10 PM
I can't play the CD side in my player now...
Posted By: alou Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/05/05 04:57 PM
Aren't the lyrics on the DVD-A side? But you can't read them while listening, right? Or am I confused? (I'm at work and don't have the disc right now, but I'm sure I seen the lyrics last night.)
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/05/05 06:33 PM
no clue

i do know you can go to the website and get the lyrics.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/05/05 07:25 PM
I love Autechre, but it's pretty crazy stuff! It's a lot of blips and bleeps that are amazingly organized! I saw them in Chicago a few years ago and to be honest, it wasn't a nice experience. The place was waaayyyy too smokey and there were like 3 or 4 electronic artists that played ahead of them, so it was a long night. By the time they came on, I was already sick of idiots dancing with cigarettes in their hand, never bothering to look where they're waving them. Even though I managed to make my way up to the front of the stage, you couldn't even see what they were doing or see any of their gear. They just stood there at a table, smoked cigarettes, and fiddled around. I guess that's all you can expect from an electronic artist. It's about the music and not the visuals. However, Kraftwerk puts on a great show. They are on tour now and I can't wait to see them in June. Sorry, I guess this post got a little off topic!
Posted By: ringmir Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/05/05 07:47 PM
Agree it's off topic, but I'm going to reply and then be done with this detour. In Boston it's illegal to smoke in bars and such, so I don't think that will be an issue. As for electronic acts, some of them are more entertaining than others. Depends on the showmanship of the group really. The place I'm going to see them is nicely laid out in that there's a very well positioned balcony level that wraps around the stage. I think there will be plenty of good viewing locations up there to see exactly what they're up to.

Now then more on topic: People have a lot of problems with DualDisks. If you google it you'll find that there's a good number of players that are very picky about them. Hopefully you've gotten the cd to play again, but you might be interested in the info on them. Makes me think I won't be buying any DualDisks anytime soon.
Posted By: royce73 Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/05/05 07:55 PM
"Makes me think I won't be buying any DualDisks anytime soon. "

Agreed. I was ready to pick up the new NIN disc until I heard about the widespread issues on both sides of the disc. Instead of DualDiscs, I wish record companies would follow the Double Disc format that the recent REM re-releases are using: One CD and one DVD-A. The consumer gets the best of both worlds and the double discs don't cost companies much more to manufacture.
Posted By: ringmir Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/05/05 08:02 PM
Actually my understanding is that the double disks cost less. From what I've found, the only thing the dualdisk has going for it is "cool" factor which record companies think will result in more sales. I think it's great to include the extra content, don't get me wrong. I just think the dualdisk is a problematic format from the info I've seen.
Posted By: alou Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/05/05 08:06 PM
Royce,

That's what a DualDisc is...CD (but not Redbook CD!) on one side, and DVD-A on the other. It's DVD-A's answer to hybrid SACD's.

I haven't experienced problems with either side of my DualDiscs, but I haven't tried every player in the house (or vehicles) yet either.
Posted By: ringmir Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/05/05 08:10 PM
That's what it is, yes, but it's non-spec redbook on the cd side, and thicker than it should be. It's not as straightforward as CD one side, DVD the other. And as a result a lot of players will have problems with one side or the other. Packaging both disks is more reliable and doesn't have the associated problems.
Posted By: alou Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/05/05 08:23 PM
Hopefully, they'll work the kinks out soon.

I believe the "non Redbook" compliance is a legal issue (something about Redbook cannot have more than 1 format...I read it on the internet, so it must be true!!! ), which means they can't put the "CD" logo on the packaging, so that could always be a problem.

As for the thickness problem...I don't recall dual sided DVD's being extra thick, are they?

It's frustrating...it always seems like new technologies target only 90% of the population.
Posted By: royce73 Re: NIN - With Teeth DVD-Audio - 05/05/05 08:43 PM
Actually Double Discs are different. You get two seperate discs. One is a Redbook CD, the other is a DVD-A. Both discs are manufactured within specs, unlike the DualDiscs. You also avoid the thickness issue that is a major flaw with DualDiscs
© Axiom Message Boards