Axiom Home Page
Posted By: littleb Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/12/05 11:07 PM
Every once in awhile just like the changing of the seasons, this little gremlin creeps in my little head and says things like, "you better go down to the local electronics store and see what's new." So, off I went in the cold and the rain. I talked with a salesman there. They are closing out the old PSB image line and they don't have much left. He was lonely and wanted to talk, since those 2 college students passed on the PSB image 4ts he was trying to give them a good deal on. I auditioned the image 2Bs, since I seem to have been seduced by bookshelf speakers. I still think the tweets on these are on the bright side. He wanted me to hear the Image T55's which retail for $900. These are quite similar in sound to the Axiom M50s, I thought, but uglier. I compared what I heard in the image line and quickly found that I still prefer my Axioms. The new PSBs have a slight curve at front and back, unlike the old straight cabinet of the old ones. I wonder where they got that idea?? He started talking about receivers, he told me the Denons have the best power supply, but are absolutely worthless when it comes to 2 channel, as a matter of fact he didn't think anyone should use a HT receiver to listen to 2 channel stereo. It had something to do with digital conversion back to analog, etc., etc., etc. He wanted to know what kind of speaker wire I have, and that I absolutely need to get some twisted speaker wire. I didn't tell him I was thinking of picking up some lamp cord at the hardware store. I guess that I'll just have to replace that crappy Denon, since it is worthless.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/12/05 11:10 PM
Hush hush. Even downtown.. voices carry.

What a maroon.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/13/05 01:38 AM
I gotta tell you, when I read that subject line I figured you were going to pass along some new Karma Sutra tips...
Posted By: RickF Re: Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/13/05 01:49 AM
In reply to:

Hush hush. Even downtown.. voices carry.

Aimee Mann? Was that 'Till Tuesday'?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/13/05 04:30 AM
Yup, but I misquoted intentionally. Instead of "even downtown" it should be "keep it down now"
Posted By: JohnK Re: Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/13/05 05:24 AM
Bruce, that salesman might be a nice guy, but he apparently does his bit to keep at least two audio mythologies alive. Besides the speaker wire thing, there's the silly bit about HT receivers and stereo. Of course this is another thing floating around without factual support. Two of the multiple channels of an HT receiver amplify just as transparently as the two channels of a stereo receiver with similar specs. If it isn't wanted, no extra processing for stereo play has to take place in an HT receiver.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/13/05 05:25 AM
AAAAAAAGHHH!

thanks SO MUCH for getting that song in my head.

So, closeouts on PSBs, huh? Hmm...
Posted By: BrenR Re: Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/13/05 06:25 AM
But JohnK...

If you make the weak-minded feel inadequate about what they own, they'll bray and follow you anywhere for a sugar cube!

Bren R.
Posted By: RickF Re: Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/13/05 08:12 AM
In reply to:

Yup, but I misquoted intentionally. Instead of "even downtown" it should be "keep it down now"

LOL....funny, here I was thinking I had the words screwed up for all of these years.

Not to hijack, but how's her new stuff, anybody know?
Posted By: littleb Re: Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/13/05 01:34 PM
I wish I had something like that to pass along to youz guyz . . . I'm sorry I got you all worked up for nothing.
Posted By: bray Re: Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/13/05 03:01 PM
Bren
"If you make the weak-minded feel inadequate about what they own, they'll bray and follow you anywhere for a sugar cube!

Whats wrong with braying?

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/13/05 09:47 PM
BrotherBob,

I have Aimee Mann's second most recent CD, "Lost in Space", and it's good. (Actually, my wife likes it more than I do, but I still enjoy it.) I bought it after hearing some of her acoustic duet work with her husband Michael Penn. Her latest album was just release last week, but I've yet to hear anything about it.
Posted By: RickF Re: Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/13/05 09:59 PM
Thanks Peter, I saw one of CDs in the store the other day and for a moment wondered how her music was, I'll have to check her out.

Seems like I remember one of those 'And where are they today' kind of shows on VH1 or someplace where they did a followup on her and it seems like she was a pretty smart and very down to earth person.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Learned some things . . . downtown - 05/14/05 06:38 AM
One thing Aimee Mann gets bashed for is her music sounding the same--hard to distinguish one song from another. I recently began listening to a couple of her cds again, "Lost in Space" (SACD) and "Bachelor No. 2", and they are very good. I like "Bachelor No. 2" better, but you have to be patient with it. Give it a couple of listens. First time through everything sounds the same. Dig a little deeper, though, and the songs begin to distinguish themselves. Very well recorded.

Her new album is a concept album. Haven't heard it yet, but from what I've read it suffers from the "sameness" disease. On a side note, her recently released live cd is supposed to be good.

I enjoy her music, but it doesn't have that reach-out-and-grab-you appeal. Her songs have to grow on you.
© Axiom Message Boards