Axiom Home Page
Posted By: craigsub The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 12:24 AM
Greetings to all: Over the past few days, Spiffnme, Amie and I have been discussing various ways to give something back to those around us in need.

Spiff has offered to work on getting some comic books to Children's Hospitals, an idea which, before the London bombing, was at the top of the list. We will get to this in the near future, but something else seems more important now.

For my end, Amie and Ian have offered to allow me to purchase Axiom products at a VERY CHARITABLE PRICE for each raffle, and we are going to do just that.

The raffle will start sometime in the next ten days, and the beneficiary will be either :

1. Some form of relief for those in London

2. The 2nd harvest food bank, which is the primary driving force behind, for example, food delivered to homeless shelters across the US and Canada.

This first raffle will consist of 100 tickets @ $25 each, with the winner receiving, delivered to his/her home, a brand new EP-600 in any of the 4 standard finishes.

The details will be laid out next week in this thread - including the beneficiary.

Spiff, Thanks for wanting to help, and hopefully we will get the "Spiffngive" program before this Christmas.

Amie and Ian, thanks for letting this happen.

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 12:32 AM
Wow! That sounds awesome, Craig. It is so nice to hear about people and companies willing to offer a helping hand to those in need. It's really not about winning free stuff, but being able to contribute to those who really need help. Easiest 25 bucks I'll ever spend.

Everyone involved--thanks!
I'm in. Maybe a paypal account so it'd be easy for people to buy/donate?
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 12:39 AM
I ummmmmmm... posted this on a Friday for a reason. When Amie and Ian show up Monday, they are in for a surprise.

They approved doing this, but they don't know this little announcement was being made ...

I cannot promise that paypal can be done, but it is a good idea.
Posted By: curtis Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 12:50 AM
Craig and Spiff(Craig)....excellent!

Spiff, if you need any help out here, let me know, I have a lot of free time the next couple of weeks.

I second PayPal. Click and donate makes it so easy.
Posted By: royce73 Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 01:41 AM
Let me know about how to get comic books to the Children's Hospita. I have about 1,000 sitting in my basement. IM me or just post the info to this thread.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 02:09 AM
It's this kind of stuff that makes the internet a great place to be. To both Craigs, my profound respect, and sincere affection. Now where am I gonna put that EP600.
Posted By: richeydog Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 02:17 AM
In reply to:

Now where am I gonna put that EP600.

Hold on there fellow, remember, ladies first!(see my avatar)
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 02:20 AM
Brilliant idea! Thanks to everyone involved.
Thanks to you guys and thanks to Axiom.

I second what St Patguy said, "Easiest $25 I'll ever spend"
Posted By: RickF Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 10:51 AM
Whenever folks walk in my den and view my existing 350 parked alongside my brand spanking new EP600 I'm going to tell 'em that is 'Mutt and Jeff', and they will be bringing the bass for our audio listening pleasure this evening.

Oh and BTW Craig, that will be the Boston Cherry finish. Thank you.

In reply to:

I second what St Patguy said, "Easiest $25 I'll ever spend"

heck, i'll third it! and it's even better that the money's for to a good cause. too bad i'll be on vacation and incommunicado from Sun. to Tues. Craig, can you save a ticket for me?? pretty please?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 04:22 PM
I think your audio equipment luck has been used up, Jack.

This is an excellent idea, Craigs. A great way to coax the natural generosity from all of us.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 04:55 PM
The tickets are not even ready for sale yet, so I think you are going to be OK there ...

We do have a Paypal account here, so setting this up should not be too difficult.

The COOL part of this, 100% of the funds raised will be for the charity as selected. There will be no "cost of goods" factored out.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 05:38 PM
Now lets get one think straight here. I was SELECTED by 3 people who made a conscious decision. Luck played no part in it. I was deserving, not lucky .

Therefore my "luck" is still unused and remains the same as before. OH OH! I've never WON anything, so if my luck remains intact, that means..........................OH CRAP!
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 06:06 PM
Jack, You need to remember this one important detail: When we get the tickets ready for sale, you will have to BUY one in order to have a chance of winning ...
Posted By: bugbitten Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 06:06 PM
Just giving to a cause without someone taking a cut is a wonderful thing. Winning a EP600 would be the sweetest icing on any cake!! Let us know where to send a check or MO then no % is lost to fees.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 06:10 PM
bugbitten - you actually have an idea here - If everyone agrees, we could have ticket numbers 1 to 100 - and you will be assigned your number based on the check arriving.

Then we have a drawing after all 100 are here, and announce the winning number.

Each night, unless I am out of town on biz, I would post the checks received, and each person's number.

This way, $2500 comes in, and back out again.

I send Axiom a check for the EP-600, and it gets delivered.

Is everyone ok with this ?

Posted By: INANE Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 06:36 PM
Sounds good.

And Paypal is the way to go, since they are headquartered here in Omaha.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 06:43 PM
The only problem with PayPal is they take 3% off the top. Other than that, they are good. Anyone else want to opine ?
Posted By: INANE Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 07:03 PM
I thought they only did that for retail transactions? I send money to friends and they don't take anything from it. Plus I wonder if they have something special for charity.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 07:14 PM
In reply to:

Jack, You need to remember this one important detail: When we get the tickets ready for sale, you will have to BUY one in order to have a chance of winning ...

I'm sorry, but that's expecting too much. I think I should win based on good looks alone?
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 08:16 PM
Inane - You could be right. My experience with Paypal is receiving money for selling gear, which then goes into my wife's "shopping" account ... and perhaps 3% is not such a big deal.

I will just make sure $2500 goes to the charity, period.

As soon as I get the nod from Amie on Monday, I will post both our paypal e-mail address and a mailing address.

Once we get the 100 people in and verified, the drawing will occur.
Two thoughts:
I think the percentage lost to PayPal would more than be made up by additional donations due to the ease of doing so....
and...
Are there even 100 of us on the board?
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 08:23 PM
Word about these things has a way of getting around.

Here is a deal - Once the raffle officially opens here, the Axiom board has 24 hours of exclusivity, then it gets posted on AVS and Audioholics.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 08:35 PM
3% of $25 is only 75cents so for those who wish the convenience of paypal could send $25.75.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 08:40 PM
Snakeyes - Thanks for the idea, but $25 is more than fair from each ticket holder ...
Posted By: snakeyes Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 08:47 PM
Well if you offer paypal im sending $25.75 whether you like or not.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/09/05 08:59 PM
Heh heh .... Ok - I can take a hint ...
Yeah, I would rather send the 25.75 through paypal for ease of use and the confidence that my money will get there in time to be in the first 100. Checks and snail mail too slow!
Posted By: oz350z Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/10/05 12:26 PM
I would just like to chime in here. This is a very good thing your doing. Please count me in.
oz
Posted By: HAY Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/10/05 01:06 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but do I need to sign up/register with paypal before hand to be able to buy a ticket?
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/10/05 01:27 PM
Hay - No, You can mail a check, also.

The Mailing address will be:

Craig Chase
4021 West 12th St. Suite #10
Erie, Pa., 16505

Our paypal address is chasefin@adelphia.net

The only caveat - The first 100 either Paypal transfers or checks received will get a ticket.

For those needing to mail in a check, this is your "headstart" ...

Also, Please make sure you have your full name and address in the either the mail entry or the PayPal transfer, along with your "handle" here.

Posted By: HAY Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/10/05 01:37 PM
Thanks, sorry I should have clarified but to use paypal... at any rate I have signed up/set up an account as this is an awesome idea.

Another great sign of what type of company Axiom is.

Thanks again Craigsub, I will need to set my alarm as my vacation starts tomorrow!
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/10/05 02:18 PM
Hay - I missed your point there - You meant if someone wanted to buy a ticket VIA PayPal, does he need a PayPal account ? I think so, but don't know for sure.
Posted By: curtis Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/10/05 04:13 PM
Actually, I don't think you need a PayPal account to "send" money. In those instances, you can only send money using PayPal via credit card.

Is the first come, first serve raffle "officially" open now?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/10/05 04:55 PM
Are we allowed to purchase more than one ticket?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/10/05 05:02 PM
Craig, when does it officially start? I gotta go to work pretty soon and don't want to miss out.
Posted By: DL30 Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/10/05 05:19 PM
Great idea! Count me in!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/10/05 10:56 PM
I sure hope we can purchase more than one ticket.
What's the story on the comix? I might have a box or two to donate, have to check the parents garage. Each is bagged and boarded, no less...
Posted By: spiffnme Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/10/05 11:54 PM
I've got a lot of comics myself that I'm willing to dontate. I'm also going to visit some of the local shops in my area. They'll likely have some stuff they're willing to donate.

Pretty straight forward. We'll contact local children's hospitals and offer to donate the books to the youngsters. Comics are good, as they appeal to the older kids.

Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 12:04 AM
Thanks to Spiff, and others who have chimed on with the offer of more comics, It looks like the giving of the comics directly to the Children's Hospitals in one's own area will be the most effective approach.

As for the raffle - It will start Tuesday with Amie's approval. Yes, You can purchase up to 2 tickets. Don't ask me why 2 - It just seemed fair.

Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 03:48 AM
A small problem - I received a note from an attorney. It may actually not be legal for me to do this raffle here. Even though I am giving all funds to charity, apparently Pa. law considers this to be gambling. We may have to completely run this through Axiom, if possible.

Apologies for the snafu here - I had never thought of this potential problem.
Posted By: INANE Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 05:09 AM
"lame, VERY LAME!" - Awesomo (South Park)

Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 12:22 PM
I am going to check on this today, to make sure everything is legal. My wife, the attorney, thinks as long as ALL funds go to an accredited charity, like the 2nd harvest food bank, we will be fine.

I will have a final answer on that, as well as Amie's ok, tonight.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 02:20 PM
Great! Thank you wife for all of us!
Posted By: Tarun Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 03:04 PM
I'm in.
Anything for Charity.

Posted By: jorge016 Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 03:29 PM
Craig-count me in. You've been PayPal'ed. Thanks for setting this up.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 05:05 PM
Ok guys, Everything is all set. As long as we use an accredited, non-profit certified charity, we are good to go.

For the first raffle, the charity will be the 2nd Harvest Food Bank.

The raffle kicks off at 6 PM, tonight, first come, first served.

The max is two tickets per person, @ $25 each.

And, to be fair to all, any e-mails sent before then will be deleted. This gives anyone who already sent an e-mail 5 hours to "get ready" ... Make sure if you have already sent an e-mail to re-send payment after 6 EDT today.

Thanks ! ...
Just to make sure since I'm not online at 6 PM EST (only pacific).

We can paypal to chasefin@adelphia.net starting at 6 PM eastern standard time, buying a max of 2 sets of tix?
Allright! Setting my alarm now.

Out of curiosity. . . how is the winner going to be chosen? Name out of a hat, random computer generated? Names printed on a sheet and then a dart thrown at the board by a blindfolded person?
you guys better leave a ticket for me (I'll be out playing baseball tonight when the tix go on sale). I'm looking forward to firing that thing up! This is a great idea Craig, my compliments to you and other Craig for your philanthropic ventures.

I was thinking of doing something similar by donating a bunch of old Stuff & Maxim magazines...I don't think I'll be donating them to the Children's hospital!
Posted By: Ajax Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 06:01 PM
For those who are using Paypal, if YOU want to cover Paypal's 3% cut, send $25.78. 3% of $25.78 is $ .7734. Assuming they round up, that means they'll take $. 78, leaving exactly $25 for the charity.

If you send, $25.77, a 3% cut would be $ .7731. Again, assuming they round up, Paypal will take the same $ .78, leaving only $24.99 for charity. And if you send only the required $25, the charity will only receive $24.25.

We don't want to short the 2nd Harvest Food Bank, do we now? (OK! So I'm anal about things like this. )

P.S. We've properly lauded the two Craigs for their efforts, but I think we would be remiss if we left out Ian, Amie, and the gang. So here's to Axiom for their kindness and generosity. It's an honor to be a part of this community.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 06:23 PM
Actually, it is 6 PM Eastern Daylight time - I know you meant 6 o'clock tonight Eastern time, and calling it "Daylight" vs. "Standard" is pretty ANAL, SOMEONE would call me on it ...

Yes, After 6 PM, July 11, Eastern Time Zone, Tickets go for sale.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 06:47 PM
So is the paypal account chasefin@adelphia.net?

EDIT: never mind, looked back and saw that this is, indeed, the account.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 06:49 PM
Argh, I'm gonna be at work until 10pm! I hope there will still be tickets left.
Posted By: cgolf Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 06:56 PM
Craig,
Awesome idea and wow, what a carrot to get everyone to contribute. There are so many around us day & night that are in need so this is a great way to help a few. Kudos to all of you!! And what does this say about Arnie & Ian and all the great people at Axiom?? What a testimony!!! Blessings & favor to all.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 06:57 PM
Just noticed something while looking at the paypal site. When sending money to someone, you have to categorize the transaction. Here are the options:

eBay Items: A payment for the purchase of eBay items. Free!

Auction Goods (non-eBay): An online auction purchase (not including eBay items). Free!

Goods (other): A purchase of goods in a non-auction context. Free!

Service: A payment for the performance of a service. Free!

Quasi-Cash: The transmission of money not involving an underlying service or good. The bank that issued your credit card may treat this 'Quasi-Cash' transaction as a cash advance and charge you cash advance fees. PayPal has no control over these fees. If you select 'Quasi-Cash' you may want to use a payment method other than Credit Card (Instant Transfer or eCheck) to avoid potential fees.

Which one best applies? I'm thinking Goods (other), but wanted to get other opinions.
Posted By: cgolf Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 07:02 PM
Agree with "Goods".
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 07:19 PM
I hope "goods" is it, Peter. That would be the best. But, If for some reason PayPal takes a fee, I will still be sending the 2nd Harvest Food Bank $2500.

As for the drawing. I will post the numbers 1 to 100 for each name. We will then get 100 index cards with one to 100 on them, and shake them up in a BIG box.

If anyone wants to drive in for the actual drawing, that would be really cool... I know there are some Cleveland guys on the board here ... ... or perhaps the folks at Axiom would like to do the drawing ? Amie could oversee the procedure, and hopefully get some pics of the drawing being done ...

Posted By: James_T Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 07:40 PM
Great idea and kudos to everyone involved in setting it up. Now, who do I give my money too!?

jr
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 07:46 PM
James - The paypal address is chasefin@adelphia.net

And thanks to all for wanting to participate !
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 08:22 PM
Amie had a wonderful idea regarding how to handle the actual drawing at Axiom headquarters. She can have the pleasure of posting it, it really is great !
Posted By: Amie Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 08:28 PM
Well, if everyone can wait until July 24th, I was thinking we should have Axiom's longest-standing, most loyal employee do the drawing. She's 81 but sharp as a tack, and is currently driving herself to New Brunswick (google maps that trip!) but would be happy to get involved. Whaddaya say - do we vote for Ian's mother to do the drawing?
Posted By: md55 Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 08:30 PM
Sounds like a lovely way to do it to me.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 08:35 PM
Great!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 08:38 PM
As long as you cancel those early donations, no problem!
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 08:47 PM
kcarlile, I promise, we did not open any of the e-mails, including yours. After 6 PM this evening, the raffle goes "live" ...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 08:48 PM
Sweet. I'll resend it. At 6. Right at 6. It shall be MINE! Muah ha ha!

Oh yeah, and the charity thing is cool, too...
Posted By: Ajax Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 08:54 PM
In reply to:

...do we vote for Ian's mother to do the drawing?

ABSOLUTELY! As one who is caring for his soon-to-be 93 year old Mother, I LOVE the idea.
Posted By: Wid Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 08:58 PM

I'm in................I hope.I have never used paypal like this so I hope I did it right
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 09:00 PM
Wid, If you already did it, wait until after 6 PM Eastern, and re-do it. At 5:30, I will delete anything that has come in, then go to my kid's swim meet.

When I get home, It will be time to start taking names. My wife may KILL me for this. Ok, I probably DESERVE killed. Or at least maimed ...
Posted By: Wid Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 09:03 PM

Ok I think I was a few minutes early.I'll do it again.
Posted By: Wid Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 09:09 PM

Well damn I was so excited I was thinking you boys over there were 2 hours ahead of us.Man what a dumbass
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 09:34 PM
T-minus 26(ish) minutes and counting...
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 09:36 PM
I am off to the swim meet. It is indoors, ugh - chlorine smell and 95 degrees - hey, isn't that like Miami in August ? See you guys tonight !
Ok I'm in. It did start right?

Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 10:06 PM
Hmmm, pretty quiet in here. I guess everyone is visiting Paypal to send in their $25.78, I know I already did. Good luck to everyone!!!
Posted By: Ajax Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 10:06 PM
Yeah, If you had any sense, YOU would enter the competition just to get in the water. Hot here too, but the humidity is blissfully low.

OK, I sent my Paypal payment. You guys can just save your money now. . LOL! What in heavens name would I do with an EP600 in my 11.5x18x8 ft. room? I suppose I could use it as a lease breaker, if I wanted to move.
Posted By: cgolf Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 10:08 PM
Well, I'm in and I've already rearranged my furniture!!! :-)

I told my wife about the contest and she was pleased about the donation, but she also said, "oh great, that is just what we need is another huge speaker in our living room". She thinks the M60's are big, can't imagine what she would think if she saw the EP600 in the living room.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 10:14 PM
So how many of you got two?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 10:15 PM
Yo!
Posted By: oz350z Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 10:15 PM
Paypal payment sent 6:13 EST. Now where am I ever going to fit that thing? More to the point what am I going to tell the wife?
oz
I'm in for 2...
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 10:18 PM
I wasn't greedy, I only got one. If I win I have no idea what I'm going to do with it anyways so good luck again to everyone. The real winner here is the food bank.
Posted By: Wid Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 10:20 PM

I'm for 1.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 10:20 PM
I think those are the two questions we're all asking ourselves... Maybe it'll go into storage until whoever gets it has the room to use it! That would be sad...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 10:20 PM
Greedy? Don't you mean generous?
only got one here at first, figured let as many people participate as possible then if there is trouble filling the last few spots. . . .
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 10:23 PM
Or generous by letting other people participate...
Posted By: richeydog Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 10:23 PM
I've got three...

minus two.
you totally nailed me on that one. I was like hey wait a minute we said two max followed by thoughts . ..

still laughing
Posted By: richeydog Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 10:34 PM

Posted By: spiffnme Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 11:19 PM
The ticket limit was two per person.

btw...I too am in the "what the heck would I do with it if I won" boat. Maybe if I win, I'll have them send me an EP500 instead. They can donate the difference in price to the charity as a bonus.

Posted By: Ajax Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 11:25 PM
OOOOOOO! GREAT IDEA, SPIFF!!!!!!!! A 500 would fit in my room perfectly! Now I WANNA win the doggone thing. Sheesh!
Posted By: curtis Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 11:56 PM
Hope I'm not too late...but I got one. I do have room for a EP-600.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/11/05 11:57 PM
Or any combination of items equal to or less than the cost of an EP600. I'd get a pair of QS4s and an EP500, leaving $200 extra for the charity. I don't know what I'd do with an EP600....
Posted By: Wid Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 12:04 AM

I know what I would do,I'd put it in my stereo set up and move the Stf 3 to H/T duty.Doesn't hurt to dream
Posted By: bugbitten Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 12:23 AM
I'm in. Or at least I hope so. Had to sign up for PayPal. Hope I did it right.
Posted By: bray Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 01:26 AM
I'm in for one. Hope I'm not too late.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 01:50 AM
I have posted the names as they have come across so far in a "master list" in a new thread.

On some, I only had real names, so I posted that. Hopefully Amie can arrange to leave that thread open for editing, so I can add names as they come in, and we only have one list.

If your real name was posted, and you want your handle here instead, just let me know.

And how cool is having Ian's MOM as the Star of the show ?
Posted By: curtis Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 01:55 AM
If there is any difficulty in selling all of the tickets.....which I doubt will happen.....but if it does, I would be willing to buy a second ticket. I was thinking it would sell out quickly.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 02:01 AM
Not that many regulars here, Curtis. If you want a second one, IMHO, you should go for it.
Posted By: bray Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 03:13 AM
How long does it tipicaly take for a paypal payment to go through?
Posted By: richeydog Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 03:19 AM
Yeah Bray I don't see you on the official list yet. I used paypal a few minutes after 6pm eastern and made it to Craig's list right away. Don't know why yours hasn't gone through.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 03:24 AM
Bray, I just checked, nothing yet. If anyone needs to, PM your e-mail address, and I will look out for that, too.
Posted By: michael_d Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 03:34 AM
Didn't know what type of payment to call it, so I selected "other".
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 05:51 AM
I'm in.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 06:05 AM
Me too. Better late than never.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 11:46 AM
We still have 72 tickets - Tonight, at 6, (or somewhere close) I will post a link on Audioholics and AVS.

Unless, of course, someone here beats me to it ...
Posted By: cgolf Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 01:41 PM
Surprised there are still that many tickets left. Maybe we were all waiting to let everyone get one so we didn't buy more but it looks like we can if we want to. Are there many people who just get on 1 board or the other in here and may not get on this board? We want to give all Axiomites a chance to purchase tickets. Sometimes I just work the home theater & stereo boards for days and never even look at the other boards. Don't know if anyone else does that or not. What a sub!!!
Posted By: Tarun Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 02:30 PM
hope I wasnt too late.
just sent my $25.78 in.
Posted By: DL30 Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 03:39 PM
Craigsub,

Just sent my $25.78. Also sent you a PM. thanks!
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 03:54 PM
We had the 72 Tix available as of this morning - When I get home tonight, the list will be updated.

Posted By: el_giovato Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 05:25 PM
Since you are in the US, is it safe to assume the donation is to be made in US funds?

This is a great thing you and Axiom are doing. I've had the pleasure of meeting Ian, Amie, Joe and the gang, they are genuinely nice people and I am not at all surprised they were eager to take part.
Posted By: twodan19 Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 05:31 PM
craig, can you help an inexperienced paypal person (me). i opened the site given, but don't know what to do next.
help
dan
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 05:47 PM
Just sent in my 32.05 CAD, fingers crossed.
Posted By: INANE Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 06:03 PM
In reply to:

Craigsub,

Just sent my $25.78. Also sent you a PM. thanks!

DL

I thought we found out there was no fee's involved here...

edit -
Free to Send Money
Pay for purchases or send money to anyone with an email address in 45 countries. It's free.
RE:
url=https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/auc/new_ebay_buyer_intro-outside
Posted By: DL30 Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 06:15 PM
Inane -

I wasn't sure if paypal was taking a transaction fee or not. If they are not, then great. I was too lazy to read through the entire thread for that info.

The $0.78 can go to the fund. If I win the EP 600 I will have paid a whopping .0004% more than someone who just paid $25. At that point I will be justifiably incensed!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 06:18 PM
It's free to send money, yes, but what we're wondering is whether it's free to receive it. Paypal has to make money somewhere. It's like Western Union without the bullet-proof windows.
Posted By: davidsch Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 06:31 PM
Thanks craigsub, Spiffnme and Amie for putting this great idea into action. I am glad to contribute to a worthy cause!
Posted By: bugbitten Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 08:48 PM
I bought 2 and sent 51.55. Hope that covers it.
Posted By: PaulM Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 09:39 PM
Silly me, I forgot about the exchange rate. Craig - another $7 CDN coming your way.

Paul
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 09:44 PM
Paul, That was not a problem ... thanks for thinking about it, though.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 09:48 PM
I'm assuming I can't enter my son in the drawing...?
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/12/05 09:50 PM
It depends on the reason as to why are you raffling off your son ! ...
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/13/05 03:34 AM
OK ... The raffle is now on AVS and Audioholics. For those who were being a sport, and only buying one - feel free to grab another.
Craig,
hopefully you will get my $$$ fairly soon, i sent it about 1/2 hour ago. Ahhh, that giant box is going to look great in my livingroom.......
Posted By: bugbitten Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/13/05 03:43 AM
Is it true that the winner buys beer and lobster tails for everybody?
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/13/05 03:49 AM
Sid - I will post the last of the day's tix before crashing... and yes, that Big box will look great in your home ...

Of course - There may be a few who disagree ...
Posted By: curtis Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/13/05 03:54 AM
OK....I just purchased my second ticket.
i just put in for two tickets. i was worried i'd come back from the beach and all the tickets would be snatched up!
Posted By: Seabear Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/13/05 12:04 PM
I'm sending my check this morning,
I only hope that I'm not too late.
I saw nothing on the thread to indicate that all the tickets were gone.
Great, great idea Craig.
Bravo!

PS;
If I've missed this drawing, feel free to keep the check for the next one!
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/13/05 12:31 PM
Seabear - Did you get one or two ? With mail the way it sometimes can be, I will "save" you your tix pending arrival of the check ...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/13/05 03:57 PM
Guys, I'm not a lawyer or an IRS agent, so please understand that I'm just an amateur trying to help my friends. Prior to my current position, I worked in University development (fund-raising) for ten years, including responsibility for gift records. Consequently, I spent a fair amount of time on tax-deductibility in the US.

Albeit for an excellent cause, this project is a raffle. I've seen several folks post that they are making a "contribution" or "donation" and I think that is a good and proper way to think about the transaction. However, since you are receiving potential value far in excess of the amount of the ticket, the cost should not be written off as a charitable donation for IRS purposes, even for non-winners. Depending upon the rest of your return, you *might* be able to count it as a gambling loss.

Sorry to be such a buzzkill.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/13/05 04:01 PM
That's OK. I just have to increase the number of 'business lunches' I have per month and it will cover the difference.

I'm joking, of course. Or am I? Hmmmmm...
Posted By: biggsly5000 Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/13/05 04:39 PM
Not a bad idea. I am paid $35 a day per diem for food. I geuss I can only spend $10 today. A good way to rationalize it anyway.
Posted By: JohnK Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/14/05 01:20 AM
Tom, I do a little tax work(and also contribute tax, investment and estate planning advice on another board)and you're correct that the cost of raffle etc. tickets, even if sold for a charity, aren't deductible. Just to be even more of a spoilsport, another relevant tax point is that the winner is required to report the value as "other income" on line 21 of Form 1040.
Posted By: Seabear Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/14/05 02:58 AM
One.
Thanks!
And to be honest, I'm only doing it because it is a wonderful idea.
The only freaking way I get one of those monsters into our livingroom is if I can put four legs on the sucker, lay it on it's back pointing at the ceiling, put a glass top on it and use it as a coffee table.

Posted By: SIMJEDI Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/14/05 03:19 AM
Money sent.
God bless you.

peace
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/14/05 06:51 AM
Do I have to use the retail value of the EP600 in my tax forms if I win? Can I use the Outlet price, instead?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/14/05 04:43 PM
Peter if you win, and claim that win on your taxes, I'll come up there and slap you myself...in fact, that goes for any of you.

Posted By: bugbitten Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/14/05 06:22 PM
And of course you must remit proper sales tax to state and local governments.

Just like we all did on our purchases.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/14/05 06:47 PM
rrrrrroooowww!
Posted By: JohnK Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/15/05 02:24 AM
Yes Peter, you can use the Outlet price if the EP600 that they send has a "slight cosmetic blemish". So ask Amie to nick a back corner of yours with her fingernail before they ship.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/15/05 02:32 AM
Spiff IS a libertarian ...

And I will help him slap people on this one. Just picture guys, BOTH of us in your homes at the same time ... (how does one make the "eek" face ?)
In reply to:

(how does one make the "eek" face ?)

Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/15/05 02:42 AM
That will work ...
Posted By: spiffnme Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/15/05 05:34 PM
hehehehehehehehehehehe...

Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/15/05 05:48 PM
Both of you are invited to my house for a slapfest, should I win.
Posted By: bridgman Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/16/05 07:26 PM
$32.28 Canadian today. Maybe my system can become 100% Axiom after all...
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/16/05 07:32 PM
Cool - I decided to buy two tickets, too. If the tickets do not sell out by Sunday, it is open season - which means you can buy up to FOUR more until they run out.
Posted By: Merkaba Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/16/05 09:54 PM
I just tried the PayPal way for two tickets. I hope it works.
Posted By: koiman Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/16/05 10:35 PM
Craigsub,
What day will the drawing take place?
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/16/05 10:51 PM
Sunday, July 24th, (aka a week from tomorrow - not very long, eh ? )

Ian's Mom is going to be the official "drawer of the number".
Posted By: cgolf Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/17/05 02:01 AM
I couldn't take the pressure!! I just bought my second ticket--which BTW is the winner....YES!!!!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/17/05 04:56 PM
Uh oh... more decisions to make. It's Sunday, and it doesn't look like they've all been sold... do I drop another $50 or not....
so long as you submit it under my name, Ken!
Posted By: real80sman Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/18/05 12:36 PM
Ok, your honest opinions. I thought that I shouldn't buy a ticket due to the fact that my uncle works for Axiom. Might not look so good if I actually won. (However unlikely) I PM'd Craig to see what he thought. Basically he thought it wasn't a good idea, either. No problem - done deal.

But now, if he (the guy who's running the whole raffle) gets to participate, why shouldn't I?

Thoughts? I will respect the general consensus.

Shawn

Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/18/05 12:38 PM
Actually, genius that I am, I could not remember who had sent me that PM - As there are still over 30 tickets available, I would say GO for it. The whole point is the charity anyway.
Posted By: bridgman Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/18/05 01:19 PM
Seems OK to me. Axiom isn't the kind of big faceless company where it's easy to pull strings behind the scenes. If you are sufficiently well connected to expect preferential treatment from Ian's mother, all I can say is.... lucky you !!
Posted By: real80sman Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/18/05 01:26 PM
John, I'm sufficiently well connected that I still *only* have one pair of 80's and a sub that they stopped making over a decade ago.
Posted By: Wid Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/18/05 08:31 PM

I see no problem with you joining in on the raffle.Go for it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/18/05 09:43 PM
Unless, of course, you win. Then we'll all regret having told you to go ahead and join.
Posted By: brian32672 Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 01:07 AM
I have sent payment to the above listed paypal address. Please let me know if I was in time for a ticket, thank you..
Posted By: csmith Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 01:07 AM
So what's the deal with the EP500 vs EP600? I know some members expressed interest in getting the EP500 instead if that was a viable option..I'd be in the same boat. No way is the little lady gonna let that monster in our living room, but the EP500 would certainly work. Have we heard whether or not that's an option?
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 01:18 AM
It will be an option - Plus you will have $600 in "Axiom Credits" towards other stuff. You could even get a system, the only thing, the $1750 credit towards a system will have to be based on individual pricing, not system pricing....
Posted By: csmith Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 03:16 AM
Sweet! I just sent my payment of $25.78.
Posted By: bridgman Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 03:26 AM
What kind of turnaround time are people seeing between sending money to Craig's paypal address and appearing on the "you gotta ticket" thread ? I sent $ on Saturday afternoon and a lot of people have appeared on the ticket thread but not meeeeee.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 03:43 AM
JB - Most have come through immediately. Please PM me your e-mail address, so I can check the PayPal account.

Thanks !
Posted By: bridgman Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 03:55 AM
Done. Thanks, Craig !!
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 03:58 AM
JB - We got the transfer. No e-mail, but the transfer was in the account. You are # 74....
Posted By: bridgman Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 04:01 AM
Woo Hoo. Thanks !!
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 04:06 AM
I never win squat but I just sent you some bucks for two tickets! Maybe I will win something for once!
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 04:07 AM
I hope you do win. My problem is I hope everyone wins. Somehow, that is not rational thought ...
Posted By: Ajax Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 11:27 AM
What? You mean we all can't win one? Sheesh!

I can just hear your lovely wife. "Whadaya mean you bought 100 subwoofers? I don't care if it was for a good cause!!!!!!"

Sending off another $25.78. I DO want that 500. Yummy!
Posted By: FlashJim Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 04:03 PM
Hi all.

I registered right after I bought a ticket. After looking around, I think I'll stay a while.

Jim in Houston
Posted By: Ajax Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 05:17 PM
Great Jim! Welcome! What speakers and equipment are you currently using? We have a number of members who own speakers other than Axiom. Some have Axiom AND other speakers. Some, like me, are former Axiom owners who still believe Axiom is a great company, with great people, making a great product at a great price point, and enjoy participating here. Some have never owned Axiom, at all.

Obviously, many here are contented Axiom owners, or admirers, so you can expect to hear a lot of positive things about the home team. That's to be expected, and would be the same at any other manufacturer sponsored forum.

And yes, we have the usual battles over speaker wire, "Do all amps sound the same," "Do speakers break in," "Who makes the best subwoofer," "Do tube amps sound better, and are they worth the money," etc. And, just like at other forums, it can get pretty silly.

But, in general we have a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, bunch of folks whose primary goal is to provide honest opinions and genuine facts in an effort to help others make good decisions, whether they're about purchasing speakers, or hooking up their equipment, or whatever.

Glad to have you aboard.

Posted By: FlashJim Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/19/05 05:32 PM
Hi Jack, and thanks!

I'm just barely getting into it with a dinky HT setup. I was tiling my living room and decided "since I'm painting the walls and ceiling, why not wire things for HT?". It sort of snowballed from there. In the past couple of weeks I've put together a low ... make that no budget system.

This is it currently:

TV: Toshiba 36A41
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V450
DVD: Pioneer DV-588A-S
Speakers: JBL NSP-1 w/Sanus Systems stands
Cables: NXG Pro Sapphire cables/SoundKing 12ga speaker wire w/Dayton Banana Plugs
Remote: Harmony 688
IR Distribution: Xantech 291-KIT
Game Consoles: Modded Xbox, Modded PS2

As I upgrade things, the old components will move to the bedroom.

I'm considering a new TV for Christmas. If I had to buy one today, it would be the Mitsu 62525.

The JBLs were an Ebay find. They were in new shape and sound great. I actually can't wait for them to be moved to the bedroom.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 11:05 AM
Three days until the drawing, and 13 tickest left. It is open season for anyone on the last 13.

Any NOT sold midnight Saturday I will be buying....
well, if you insist...
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 02:05 PM
I am surprised no one "busted" me on this - Since $2500 has to go to the 2nd harvest food bank, any ticket sales shortages would have to be made up by me.
Posted By: bridgman Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 02:13 PM
Apologies in advance about the verbification, but paypal'ed you for a second ticket
I figured with several days and only 13 tix left, it wouldn't come to that.
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 02:14 PM
Thanks ... but is "verbification" a real word ?
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 02:15 PM
Mark, I didn't think it would come to a shortage of sales. BUT ... You gotta admit, the mere IDEA of me with 13 more tickets is horrifying ... (evil laugh smiley) ...
Posted By: bridgman Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 02:47 PM
"Verbification" is at least as real as "paypalling", and has appeared in many respected newspapers as an out-of-control phenomenon threatening to destroy our moral fiber.

Probably not
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 02:58 PM
I like the word. My lovely wife is an attorney, and tends to give really LOOOOONG answers to simple questions.

Next time, I am going to tell her she is verbificating...

I wonder if it would pass the "Scrabble" test ....
Posted By: Amie Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 03:07 PM
I was most disappointed to see jpg, gif and gui did not make the 2005 Scrabble dictionary, as we had been playing with those words for about a year waiting for the new dictionary to come out!
Posted By: Ajax Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 03:09 PM
Actually she'd be "verbosifying," verbose (which I've been called many times) being the root word.

If you want a REAL word, you can pick from bombastic, circumlocutory, diffuse, flowery, fustian, gabby, garrulous, grandiloquent, involved, long-winded, loquacious, magniloquent, palaverous, periphrastic, pleonastic, prolix, redundant, repeating, repetitious, repetitive, rhetorical, talkative, talky, tautological, tautologous, tedious, tortuous, windy, or yacking.

I like yacking myself, with circumlocutory and magniloquent close seconds.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 03:15 PM
Actually, 'windy" is pretty good. But, it's ambiguity could get you into a LOT of trouble.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 03:17 PM
Um, hold on. . .

Where'd I put my dictionary?
Posted By: thyname Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 03:42 PM
I just sent my paypal payment of USD 25.78 to Craigsub (chasefin@adelphia.net) for one ticket!! Please count me in!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 07:08 PM
Ajax, your penchant for sesquipedalianism leaves me wholly nonplussed.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 08:24 PM
I don't have a plus either. Not a one!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/21/05 11:58 PM
Craigsub...I just bought two more tix, and noticed that my initial payment is still "unclaimed". Are you waiting to claim the payment, or just forgot?

Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/22/05 12:03 AM
I will have to take a look. I thought we had claimed everything. On the other hand, with my track record using computers, I probably missed it ...
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/22/05 12:17 AM
We are down to four tickets - Has anyone mailed a check besides Seabear and Brotherbob ? Those are the only two which have arrived ...
Posted By: PaulM Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/22/05 12:30 AM
Ok, I'm weak and in a good mood (as I'm heading out for a few weeks vacation tomorrow), so I bought another ticket. In the unlikely event lady lucky looks my way, it'll probably be a week or so before i find a computer and check the board.

Hmm, I'll be at Lake simcoe for part of the time. Dwight wouldn't be that far out of the way to pick up a big package before pointing the van home to Alberta.

Good luck everyone.

Paul
Posted By: PaulM Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/22/05 12:55 AM
I got ticket 99. That's Wayne Gretzky's number and I'm an big Edmonton Oilers fan (when the leafs aren't in town ( Grandad used to play for them)).

That's a good omen indeed.
Posted By: Amie Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/22/05 01:20 AM
Yes, maybe you should call in and see if you win! Nothing says fun like strapping an EP600 to the roof for the ride home!!!
Posted By: PaulM Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/22/05 01:34 AM
then run some wires from the car stereo out the window to the EP600. Plug it into my 300 watt power inverter that is plugged into cigarette lighter and play some Vaughner (sp?) going down the TransCanada.

That'd be fun indeed. Might fry the power inverter and vehicle electical system though.

Paul
Posted By: oz350z Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/22/05 02:01 AM
Just sent paypal payment for that last ticket. I hope it gets there in time.
oz
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/22/05 02:05 AM
oz350z - Are you Daniel Patrey ? If so, you got the last ticket !
Posted By: oz350z Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/22/05 02:49 AM
One in the same. Wife told me to buy one for her. I'll decide after the drawing which ticket I'll give her. Hee hee. Oh...that is so low! Just kidding y'all.
oz
Posted By: craigsub Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/22/05 03:08 AM
Your wife is a KEEPER ...
Posted By: oz350z Re: The beginning of something special ? - 07/22/05 09:53 AM
That she is. But then again I omly explained the the charity part and mentioned a chance of winning some merchandise. When she sees the size of that sub boy will she be in for a surprize.
oz
© Axiom Message Boards