Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mikei Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/11/05 11:55 PM
Although none of your opinions count as much as mine (LOL), I would like to ask what your top 5 comedies are. Here are mine. Feel free to update your personnal list based on my list (LOL).

1. Porky's
2. Freddy Got Fingered
3. Me, Myself and Irene
4. Road Trip
5. American Pie

I might have left some out.

Looking forward to your responses.

Mike
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 12:05 AM
You forgot Office Space.
Posted By: hashts Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 12:13 AM
Dude what's the dealio with Freddy Got Fingered?

Anyways you forgot EUROTRIP! All of us were hurting from laughing so hard in that movie.

Dumb and Dumber is one of my all time favs.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 12:17 AM
Just off the top of my head
Billy Madison
Blazing Saddles
American Pie
Ace Ventura
Spacballs
Posted By: JohnK Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 12:20 AM
Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Mike.
Posted By: hashts Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 12:51 AM
Oh man Spaceballs is CLASSIC! Totally forgot about that one and I own the DVD. Gotta watch it again. May the Schwartz be with you.

Another one I loved as a kid was The Great Outdoors. Cheesy but still funny...
Posted By: rcvecc Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 01:58 AM
clerks-dumb and dumber-coming to america-christmas vacation-and vegas vacation...those are the ones i can watch over and over
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 04:50 AM
1. Young Frankenstein
2. Holy Grail
3. Galaxy Quest
4. Fish Called Wanda
5. UHF--I know, I know... but I loved that movie when I was a teenager!
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 04:56 AM
Not in any real order:

Slap Shot
Van Wilder
American Pie
The Jerk
Porky's
Posted By: INANE Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 05:19 AM
Donno if I'd say its my top five but just some that come to mind.

Fletch
Team America
South Park, Bigger Louder and Uncut!

Too tired to think

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 06:10 AM
Here's my tentative list off the top of my head:

1. Spaceballs
2. Top Secret!
3. Rushmore
4. Raising Arizona
5. There's Something About Mary
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 06:14 AM
I don't know if it's even in my top 10, but did you know that the movie Airplane! was released 25 years ago this month? I was only ... uh, 28 - 25 ... 3 (check the math), yeah 3 then.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 06:30 AM
That was on AMC last night. They had it letterboxed with a running commentary typed in the black.

Yeah, it makes me feel old too. Airplane is vey funny, but I have to give the edge to Top Secret. First time I was exposed to the Zucker Bros. brand of humor.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 07:41 AM
fyi...It's "Bigger, Longer, and Uncut". There's a double entendre going on there.

here's my list, in no particular order:

Planes, Trains, & Automobiles
LA Story
A Fish Called Wanda
Tootsie
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 07:54 AM
Oh, good call Spiff!

I completely forgot about "Planes, Trains, & Automobiles." That movie is a classic. I'm gonna have to bump a movie off my list for that one.

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off"--I remember seeing that as part of a double feature with "The Karate Kid." My dad didn't tell me there was a second movie, just told me to sit tight. I was blown away by the "Karate Kid" and THEN "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"? The planet's were aligned that day.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 08:07 AM
So do you prefer uncut or edited versions, spiff?
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 12:29 PM
Airplane
Dr. "Strangelove"
History of the World, Part 1
Robin Hood, Men in Tights
(Almost anything by Mel Brooks)
Short Circuit, part 1

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 12:50 PM
Caddy Shack
Hollywood Knights
Razing Arizona
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Stripes
Posted By: INANE Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 01:01 PM
In reply to:

fyi...It's "Bigger, Longer, and Uncut". There's a double entendre going on there.

ya ur right, like I said, I was tired (still am )
Posted By: Foghorn Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 01:37 PM
Animal House

Posted By: dmn23 Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 02:19 PM
No particular order:

Raising Arizona
Dr. Strangelove
A Fish Called Wanda
This Is Spinal Tap
Blood Simple/Rushmore/Being There (tie)
Posted By: mikei Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 02:26 PM
UHF is awesome. I own that one.

Conan the Librarian and Drinking from the fire hose are classic scenes. Spatchula City!

Very funny movie.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 03:19 PM
In reply to:

Blood Simple/Rushmore/Being There (tie)

Whoa, Mike. "Blood Simple" is more creepy than funny! No worries, though. It's all taste. I know a lot of people who didn't get "Rushmore"--too offbeat for popular tastes. I haven't seen "Being There," but I like Peter Sellers. Just recently got the Pink Panther boxed set and am going through those.

I like this thread, everybody has different opinions of funny!

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 03:35 PM
In reply to:

So do you prefer uncut or edited versions, spiff?

LOL! You're too much Peter. To answer your question...it's ALL good.

Posted By: dmn23 Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 03:39 PM
As you said, it's a matter of taste. For all of the tense moments in Blood Simple, I find myself giggling through most of it. The Coens always enjoy poking fun at human foibles and weaknesses, and Blood Simple is a wonderful example of that tendency.

If you truly appreciate Sellars then you'll love Being There. But don't expect Clouseau, or even Strangelove. This is satire on a much more subtle level, and in my opinion it's the finest performance of his career. Lots of folks didn't (and still don't) seem to appreciate it, but it's one of those films I enjoy watching year after year.

And you're right -- this is a fun thread. I've been in lurking mode for a month or two now, and this brought me back into the fold.
Posted By: DL30 Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 03:47 PM
No particular order:

King Pin
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
History of the World Part 1
Three Amigos
Vacation

And my Darkhorse favorite

Spies Like Us - growing up while the Cold War was still happenin. This was a funny once over on those Russian Commie Bastards Contained lots of immature comedy for an impressionable preteen. Hasn't aged well tho.
Posted By: Amie Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 04:39 PM
Just to sprinkle a little estrogen on this list:

Intolerable Cruelty
Legally Blonde (I often channel Elle Woods)
Saving Grace (brit flick)
Princess Bride
and Some Like it Hot

Mr Deeds is a current slapstick fave - possibly because the soundtrack is so good. I think that was most of the appeal of the Wedding Singer too, another perfect hung-over-Sunday-afternoon movie . . .
Posted By: INANE Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 06:18 PM
OMG how did I forget

Army of Darkness (and the other Evil Dead movies)

!?!
Surprised no one's mentioned any old Woody Allen ones. My favorites are the older ones.

Sleeper (who can forget the Orgasmatron)
Take the Money and Run
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 07:35 PM
Daaamn, I missed a lot: Airplane, Princess Bride, Raising Arizona...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 08:33 PM
Kentucky Fried Movie!
I LOVED that movie. I especially liked the Enter the Dragon spoof. I can't even watch the orignal w/o laughing.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 09:39 PM
That part was great. Catholic High School Girls in Trouble was memorable, too....
Posted By: mikei Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 10:00 PM
I love Evil Dead 2! Definitely one of my top five. I didn't list it due to the fact that it falls under the horror genre.

I laugh everytime I see the movie!
Posted By: barilkobart Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 10:48 PM
1. The Jerk
2. Happy Gilmore
3. Office Space

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 10:58 PM
Animal House, a classic.....
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/12/05 11:00 PM
no particular order..

dumb and dumber
uncle buck
something about mary
three amigos
trading places

those ones always make me laugh!!

bigjohn
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 12:41 AM
I'm surprised that I didn't mention the Beatles movies of the 60s.......

I don't remember much about them now, but I do recall that I enjoyed them.........then
Posted By: rcvecc Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 01:33 AM
i didnt even mention the kentuky fried movie-i didnt think it was that popular.....attention-the popcorn youre eating has been pissed in,film at 11
Posted By: craigsub Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 01:46 AM
GI Jane ... Demi Moore as a Navy Seal is hilarious
As Good As It Gets ... Jack Nicholson was a riot
Any of the "Chucky" movies.... Come on people ! A little lighter fluid !
Fast Times at Ridgemont High....
Airport... After Airplane, you will NOT stop laughing.

Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 01:58 AM
One may be able to talk ones' self out of doing some gardening chores by simply watching "Little Shop of Horrors" prior to going into the garden
in no particular order:

South Park (i might have known INANE would have that)
Airplane
Slapshot
Naked Gun
American Pie
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 02:49 AM
Yeah, the Coen's certainly are an acquired taste. Picked up "Blood Simple" for less than $10. Quirky, creepy and tense.

Okay, gonna go find "Being There." Been on my list of movies to get for quite some time.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 02:54 AM
In reply to:

Surprised no one's mentioned any old Woody Allen ones

Happened across "What's Up Tiger Lilly?" late one night and woke everyone up with my laughter. Had no idea what the heck it was about at the time, just channel surfing, but loved it. Later found out it was Woody Allen. I've seen a lot of his later films in the theater, and they are mostly playing to empty houses. Not many agree with his personal life.
Posted By: INANE Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 03:00 AM
In reply to:

South Park (i might have known INANE would have that)

As far as I'm concerned... Trey Parker (and Matt Stone) are pure genius's. I know most ppl think they are too dirty but virtually everything they've ever done has real meaning behind it. And its always too damn funny.

agreed, their political/social commentary is sorely under-appreciated. They do write intelligently - even if the odd "poop" joke sneaks in under the radar.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 03:08 AM
I will never look at puppets the same way again.

"Team America" was way over-the-top, and took the jokes way-too-far, but that's what I liked best about it. Can't we all be a little non-PC in the comfort of our own home?

I admit to being one of the few who saw "Orgasmo" in the theater. Took my date to see it. hehe.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 03:22 AM
I may be in the minority here, but I still love watching any Charlie Chaplin movie. Has that magical humorous quality that transcends age and language barriers.

Buster Keaton's silents are also excellent. Very funny physical comedy. Some truly awe-inspiring stunts. Still amazing to watch. Those were the days of "real" stunts.
Posted By: craigsub Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 03:32 AM
Plus ... They are great movies for showing off the low level detail of your speakers
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 03:48 AM
Rimshot, please!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 04:35 AM
Chaplin was a genius, and Keaton was right there with him. Keaton is amazing when you watch all the physical things he did (Chaplin too, for that matter). And no special affects, other than perhaps speeding up the film, now and then.
Posted By: craigsub Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 04:46 AM
And the COOL part - Jack got to seem them all, first run in the theater ! ...
Posted By: Ajax Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 04:54 AM
I shoulda known.

Posted By: craigsub Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 04:57 AM
Heh heh ... Like noone saw THAT coming ...
Posted By: SeanF Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 05:15 AM
My $0.01 after taxes. All suggested and a little dated ...

Blazing Saddles
Monthy Python and the Holy Grail
Life of Brian
Animal House
A Fish Called Wanda
Stripes

On the B-Movie List -
Thumb Wars (beware the dark side of the cuticle)

Sean
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 05:29 AM
In reply to:

And no special affects, other than perhaps speeding up the film, now and then.

Or playing the film backwards. Very sneaky.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 11:05 AM
Another thing that Keaton did, was transition successfully into "talkies"
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 12:42 PM
Stripes thats a good one. this thread made me realize it would have to be top 50 for me a cant narrow it down to 5.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 04:16 PM
Thankfully he had the voice for it--nice deep baritone. Reminds me of "Singin' in the Rain" when the industry was transitioning and many stars of the silents couldn't make it in talking movies because of bad voices.

Safety Last
I'm gonna have to add this one. Saw this film a few years ago and was suitably amazed. On par with Keaton for the dangerous physical stunts. If I remember correctly, Lloyd was missing a few fingers on one hand from an explosion mishap (stunt gone wrong) and wore gloves to hide it.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 04:40 PM
Thanks for the blurb on Harold Lloyd; I believe he did lose some fingers in a stunt!!

I had forgotten about his movies til reminded

I had also not seen all of Safety Last, but will certainly look for it on DVD to see what I had missed!!!
Posted By: DL30 Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/13/05 06:15 PM
Oldies but goodies:

The Philadelphia Story
His Girl Friday
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/14/05 12:09 AM
Anything with Chevy Chase

Hot Shots
Posted By: Seabear Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/14/05 03:21 AM
A real dark horse that nobody seems to know;
Shakes the Clown.
The rental pays for itself in laughs before the opening credits have even run.
Who can deny the casting genius of Florence Henderson as an over-the-hill Clown Groupie?
Best in Show anyone?
Clerks, definitly.
too many others to list, but lots of good ones here already...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/14/05 05:50 AM
Yup, Best in Show is great. Really, any of his stuff is great.
Posted By: thedude_044 Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/25/05 09:59 AM
1) Arthur
2) Caddyshack
3) Fletch
4) Animal House
5) KentuckyFried Movie
Posted By: littleb Re: Your Top 5 Comedy Movies of All Time - 07/25/05 02:25 PM
1.Sleeper, a Woody Allen vehicle from the early 70's.
2.Arsenic and old Lace, Cary Grant and Priscilla Lane.
3.Love and Death, more Woody Allen
4.The Big Lebowski
5.Animal House
© Axiom Message Boards