Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BrenR Storms - 09/06/05 05:12 PM
So Sunday night, we had a bit of a wind/rain storm here... I did a quick check around before I went to bed, shingles were intact, weeping tiles were working, no over land flooding of the garage... I think I may have done too cursory a check into the front yard when I got up the next morning and the nighbour pointed out the city's elm on our property was laying across his.

Bren R.

Posted By: bugbitten Re: Storms - 09/06/05 05:54 PM
city's elm ? Is the tree on the right of way?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Storms - 09/06/05 06:14 PM
While I don't hear the term right-of-way often, I'm assuming that's what it is... no sidewalks/boulevards on our street, but the canopy of trees planted against the road belong to the city.

I give them a week to get rid of that sucker, else I'm borrowing a chainsaw and a half dozen stout men.

Bren R.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Storms - 09/07/05 02:59 AM
In our part of the country the city owns 15 to 20 feet from center line of the road. According to my homeowners insurance, on my property I get paid for the tree. Sometimes my line goes right to the edge of the street.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Storms - 09/07/05 03:10 AM
What a shame, looks like a nice tree, oh well just cut it off clean. Look at it this way, you can get a better tan while mowing.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Storms - 09/07/05 04:07 AM
Thats the thing, because it belongs to the city I CAN'T cut it down... would be destroying city property.

I'd love to get at it with a chainsaw, but alas, I have to wait for them to do it.

Bren R.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Storms - 09/07/05 03:45 PM
Funny, in the states, the sidewalks are city property, however, I can get fined if I don't clear snow/ice in the winter. If someone is walking in front of our house and trips and falls on the city sidewalk, they can sue my ass for not fixing concrete cracks either, what a crock.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Storms - 09/07/05 05:37 PM
The sidewalk thing is the same here... in that case, it's your civic duty *snaps to attention* to clear sidewalks... however, things like the trees, streetlights, potholes/road repair and sewer/water (beyond your property line) are up to the city to take care of.

Bren R.
© Axiom Message Boards