Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d new blues guitarists?? - 09/10/05 06:35 PM
I was listening to one of the blues channels off the satellite last night and they played a song by a new up and coming guitarists. He was pretty darn good and now I’m trying to find his CD. The dam TV is upstairs and I didn’t make it in time to see the kid’s name. The DJ (I’m guessing that’s what Sirius calls these guys) said he’s about 20 year’s old and his name was something like “Kurt Flesher” or “Kurt Fletcher”. I couldn’t quit make it out.

Do any of you guys know who this is?

Posted By: bigwill2 Re: new blues guitarists?? - 09/12/05 04:27 AM
Kenny Wayne Sheppard?

Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown died yesterday. Love his sound. RIP old feller.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: new blues guitarists?? - 09/12/05 05:58 AM
Kevin Schafer perhaps? or Kirk Lorange?

Posted By: michael_d Re: new blues guitarists?? - 09/12/05 08:23 PM
When I heard the announcer / DJ say the name, I wrote down Kurt Flesher but was unsure of the spelling. But doing a Google search brings up zip.

He’s definitely not KWS or Jonnie Lang (I have all their CD’s and know every song). The song this kid played was guitar only with no vocals. The kid was outstanding to say the least, and caught my ear immediately. He’s got his own sound. The DJ started going on and on about him after the song was over saying that the musician was 20 years old.

This isn’t the first time I’ve missed out on new music with the friggin TV being in the loft and my stereo system in the living room. I have the dish receiver upstairs and ran a cable down to the pre-amp for satellite music. By the time I hear something new and run up to the loft, turn the TV on, weight for it to come on, and then if I’m quick enough, I write down the musician and hop over to Amazon. All this inspires another question, is there a gizmo that I can use downstairs to display the satellite feed prior to the pre-amp? ?????

Well hopefully, someone will know who this kid is.

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: new blues guitarists?? - 09/12/05 08:37 PM
Was it Sirius or something else? I know you said Sirius but I'm just double checking.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: new blues guitarists?? - 09/12/05 08:43 PM
I just searched the playlist for Sirius and there is nothing for a Kurt F.

If you heard it on Sirius, you can find it using the link below:

http://www.givemesatelliteradio.com/search/advancedsearch.php

Hope this helps......................

Posted By: michael_d Re: new blues guitarists?? - 09/13/05 02:41 AM
Ah-Ha!!!

Thanks NH!! I found him!

Kirk Fletcher

He is a guitarist for “The Mannish Boys” that just released a solo album.

Here’s a cut and paste off a review sight.

Spotlight customer reviews
Customer Rating: 5
Summary: Great Things In Store For This Guitarist!
Comment: This is a very talented young man who has a great future ahead of him. It's hard to believe he's only in his twenties.

You can hear the influence of B.B. King in his playing and the liner notes confirm that B.B. was and is an inspiration. Make no mistake, this is no mere copycat. Kirk has learned from the masters - including Elmore James (check out "Worried Man Blues") - but he is definitely his own man.

The album is titled "Shades of Blue" and these shades range from songs written by Jimmy Dawkins, Jr. Wells and Magic Sam, to Percy Mayfield. However, These are not the usual covers. Someone certainly gave these choices some thought. There are also a couple of originals showing additional talent as a songwriter. On "Blues for Boo Boo" (his daughter - and I'd love to hear the story behind that nickname) we get a hint that he may also have some jazz in his repertoire. That hint shows up again in "Hip Hug Her".

The vocals are shared by Kim Wilson, along with his oh-so-fine harp, Janiva Magness and Finis Tasby and they give Kirk plenty of room to show his stuff. I particularly enjoyed the vocals of Finis Tasby whose voice and style seem to mesh especially well with Kirk's. I would have liked to have heard a couple more intrumentals. Maybe next time. Meanwhile, I highly recommend this CD and I hope there is more to come soon. Am I raving? Yes I am!

One last note to Riley: Your blues are in good hands!

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: new blues guitarists?? - 09/13/05 04:02 AM

Posted By: RickF Re: new blues guitarists?? - 10/21/05 10:03 PM
Hmmmmmm, a day late and a dollar short I guess, huh?

I remembered the name from this post and while I was surfing the internet this evening I came across Kirt Fletcher, but it looks like the info was already found....I must have been gone or something.

I listened to a couple of his samples and I must say that this may be an artist I'll have to check out.

I sure didn't know that Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown died until I found the post here, I just watched him the other day on the 'Lightin' In A Bottle' DVD....it was very good.

RIP Mr. Gatemouth Brown!
Posted By: oz350z Re: new blues guitarists?? - 10/21/05 11:17 PM
NH
Thanks for providing that link. I didn't know about that. I have been enjoying Sirius for about a year and a half now. It has not helped my bank account one bit. What's available to us online never ceases to amaze me.
oz
Posted By: bray Re: new blues guitarists?? - 10/21/05 11:42 PM
BroBob
Tell me more about the Lightin In a Bottle dvd.
Is Lightin Hopkins tunes?
Posted By: RickF Re: new blues guitarists?? - 10/22/05 01:33 AM
Bray, actually it is a very good DVD, somewhat like a history of the blues with various artist both old and new singing and playing some of the original blues tunes....I'd certainly recommend it if you like the blues!

Lighting In A Bottle DVD
Posted By: Wid Re: new blues guitarists?? - 10/22/05 01:35 AM

Send it up this way and let me take a look .
Posted By: RickF Re: new blues guitarists?? - 10/22/05 01:37 AM
Sure, anytime Rick!
© Axiom Message Boards