Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson RAM IT! - 10/08/05 08:37 PM
Can anyone identify this RAM?

I know that there are methods to identify RAM via notches, etc… but I'm not having any luck Googling for a tutorial. The real question is whether or not any of it is worth anything at all (maybe even useable in a future laser printer or something?). I'm just sick of it taking space in my desk!

If more detail is helpful, a large (or even original pixel size) image can be viewed here (just click "original" under "other sizes" below the photo):
http://joymark.smugmug.com/gallery/868003/1/39158352/Large

Posted By: Ken.C Re: RAM IT! - 10/08/05 10:25 PM
Well, A, B, C are 168 pin DIMMs, either FPM or EDO. (pretty interchangeable). D and E are 72 pin SIMMs. Past that, couldn't tell ya!
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: RAM IT! - 10/09/05 03:57 AM
what about this one?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: RAM IT! - 10/09/05 07:15 AM
Looks like the old 2 pin SHP to me. Pretty rare these days, but I think Chrysler uses some of them in their car electronics.
Posted By: dmn23 Re: RAM IT! - 10/09/05 05:45 PM
Ugh. That was really <sheep sound>ba-a-a-a-a-a-ad</sheep sound>.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: RAM IT! - 10/09/05 06:08 PM
OK, looking at the closeups:

A) is most likely EDO from the part number. I'm not sure how big it is, but I'd take a stab at 16 MB.

B) size-maybe 8 MB? assuming it's not double sided. If it is double sided, probably 16.

C) still don't know.

D) still don't know.

E) well, that one's EDO for sure.

One thing I can tell you is that none are ECC.

Oh yeah, they're all really freakin' old.

As far as laser printers go, you'd have to check with the manufacturer, but I don't think there are many out there that are still using this RAM. I could be wrong.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: RAM IT! - 10/09/05 09:57 PM
In reply to:

Oh yeah, they're all really freakin' old.

Well, that pretty much tells it all. Into the trash with 'em!

Thanks for taking the time, Ken. I just couldn't find anything out there as to how to identify RAM. I'm sure the info is out there, but I wasn't finding it!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: RAM IT! - 10/10/05 01:09 AM
Eh, I was just making some educated guesses. I don't really know how to read all of the codes. But 168 pin is as old as Jack, and 72 pin went out with the dinos.
Posted By: richeydog Re: RAM IT! - 10/10/05 01:15 AM
Mark....don't forget....Ken did stay at a holiday inn express last night.
Posted By: BlueStater Re: RAM IT! - 10/10/05 07:09 AM
A and B are surely 168 pin SDRAM. Can you give me the numbers printed on the chips? They hold the key to performance and capacity. They should work with later P-II up to P4 around 1.4GHz and the same era AMD chips, depending on bus speed. The older chips would work with original Pentium up to PIII, maybe around 600MHz, same with like-era AMD. Again depending on bus speed.

Another Mark.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: RAM IT! - 10/10/05 12:39 PM
Actually, I've already tossed them after Ken's analysis!

It seems that I always end up swapping RAM in my computers to "up" the total, and have been doing that for fifteen years or so. I came across these in a box I haven't touched in a couple of years, so I assumed that they weren't worth much. I'm looking at getting a color laser, though and wasn't sure if I might have some use for any of these sticks for the printer.

Assuming Ken is God-Like, I destroyed the filthy sticks upon hearing his command.

Thanks for taking the time, though, Mark!
Posted By: dmn23 Re: RAM IT! - 10/10/05 01:59 PM
In reply to:

Assuming Ken is God-Like

Uh-oh...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: RAM IT! - 10/10/05 02:02 PM
Muah ha ha ha!

Bow before me, denizens of the Axiom boards, or feel my wrath!

and now, back to my Wheaties...
Posted By: Ajax Re: RAM IT! - 10/10/05 02:24 PM
In reply to:

But 168 pin is as old as Jack

In reply to:

Assuming Ken is God-Like

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh-oh...

Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: RAM IT! - 10/10/05 04:44 PM
Actually, Crucial used to allow you to trade in memory on other memory...(not sure of recent)

May be worth finding those sticks again as you may be able to trade them in on some memory for that laser...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: hashts Re: RAM IT! - 10/10/05 06:56 PM
Sorry I couldn't respond sooner but I have gust one bit of advice regarding old computer parts...please don't throw them away in the trash. Most parts these days are considering toxic waste and cannot be simply thrown away (well you can but you're not supposed to). Any parts containing lead, mercury, cadmium and other dangerous substances are not good for our landfills. I could be wrong about the RAM and if so please ignore.

But definitely a CRT monitor can anywhere from 5-15 lbs of toxic waste in but you can take them to a computer recycling center.

<end rant>
© Axiom Message Boards