Axiom Home Page
Posted By: St_PatGuy Volume concerns - 11/06/05 07:03 AM
Okay, so I was watching a movie tonight and it dawned on me that I have issues with the numerical volume setting. For some obsessive compulsive reason the volume must reside on an even number. If it's odd, I can't focus on the movie. The kicker is that it can be odd only if it is in the middle--like 25 or 15. I tried putting it on 29, but it drove me nuts until I changed it to 28.

I have two solutions:

1. Therapy, or

2. Cover the front of my receiver with tape.
Posted By: TNTguy Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 08:13 AM

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 09:52 AM
I'm the same way. We're just selectively obsessive-compulsive. Otherwise known as anal. Now, if you also have all the cans facing labels forward in your panty, all your socks folded and ordered by color, and all your shirts folded like they do in stores.... then you need therapy.
Posted By: DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 12:11 PM
I'm glad to know their are others out there like me. It's -10, -15, -20 etc... for me.
Posted By: RickF Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 12:19 PM
In reply to:

Now, if you also have all the cans facing labels forward in your panty...

Would that be the label that reads 'Don't EVEN Think About It, Buster' ... for most folks anyways.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 03:37 PM
i have they same thing even with my car radio. also no odd number is ok for me not even 15, 25 etc.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 04:27 PM
Don't worry, you're not alone. Having the volume control on anything but a "-10, -15, -20" multiple doesn't seem right. No idea why.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 04:39 PM
I'm kinda glad it's not just me. I know I've been doing it for a while, but last night was the first time it really hit me. Phew, I guess we all are a little compulsive in our daily lives.

Oh, and Peter, about the pantry thing. . .I only have two cans and the labels are facing out. I may have to turn one, though--I don't like Wolfgang Puck smiling at me every time I open the door.
Posted By: RickF Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 04:46 PM
You guys are all actually very serious about this volume setting thing, aren't you!

Seek help, trust me ... it helps.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 04:54 PM
Serious? (Nervous laughter) What are you talking about BrotherBob? There's no problem, I don't have a problem. . . (more nervous laughter, a little shifting of the eyes).
Posted By: RickF Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 04:58 PM
In reply to:

Serious? (Nervous laughter) What are you talking about BrotherBob? There's no problem, I don't have a problem. . . (more nervous laughter, a little shifting of the eyes).

Uh oh....this sounds like the sort of talk one would expect to hear just prior to getting a .45 pulled on 'em.

I'm going back to the HT or Stereo forum, this place over here is a little too eerie for me.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 05:05 PM
Instead of the .45, I opted for the rubber band gun. Ammo is a lot cheaper. . .
Posted By: RickF Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 05:10 PM
You could always try one of these brutes ... ammo would be reasonably cheap as well!

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 05:20 PM
LOL! I can't imagine owning one of those. That is really funny!
Posted By: RickF Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 05:26 PM
Yea I know, me either Sean! Cracked me up reading through 'The Spudmaster' ... that guy is seriously into the guns.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 06:17 PM
Why compromise ? How about a 144 shot rubber-band gatling gun ?

http://www.backyardartillery.com/machinegun/

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 08:05 PM
wow...

you guys are nuts.

Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 08:07 PM
My rubberband gun is an effectively concealed weapon.

I'm sure others of you have tried this, but for those who haven't:

Hook a rubberband first over the tip of your little finger and tuck that finger tightly against the palm of your hand, just as you would if you were pointing your index finger at someone.

Now pull the rubberband back across your palm and around behind your hand and behind your upward pointing thumb.

The thumb is an effective "gun sight"

Got it?

Now pull it toward your extended index finger and hook it right on the end of the finger, no; the very end, like sittin' on a telephone pole.

Remember telephone poles? That's when phones came over cables, and TV came over the air.

Anyway the first shot is set.

Take a few practice shots at unsespecting fellow employees or understanding supervisors. They well probably retalliate and work will effectively stop for a few moments.

Now you are ready for Phase Two: Putting a rubberband on the remainder of the fingers....on both hands!!!

At this point you have the "equivalent" of a fully loaded "Six Shooter"!! Be sure to release the bands in the proper sequence though, or they will tangle and you'll be embarassed.

Most Gals who witness these activities are like our Moms' though; they'll remind us that, like watchin' the "Three Stooges" or playing with B-B guns, we can put an eye out doin' these things.

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Volume concerns - 11/06/05 10:16 PM
That was my favorite thing to do when I worked in retail. Got to pass the time somehow. No wonder we never had rubber bands when we actually needed them for something.

Some employees were dumbfounded by the "pistol" technique. Proof that TV rots your brain. . .
Posted By: nygren Re: Volume concerns - 11/09/05 05:30 AM
Dim the brightness on the receiver display so you can't
see it unless you are looking closely?

Posted By: bugbitten Re: Volume concerns - 11/09/05 03:58 PM
In reply to:

Remember telephone poles? That's when phones came over cables, and TV came over the air.

It seems odd now that my best TV reception is from my OTA antenna for HDTV. I get a great picture and 5.1 sound. Cable gives me a fuzzy picture and sometimes stereo.

© Axiom Message Boards