Axiom Home Page
Posted By: littleb Confession #???? - 12/06/05 05:10 PM
I recall that some time ago there existed some postings about confessions. Well, I guess this is sort of a confession. I have upgradis in a bad way. I would like to spend massive amounts of money doing this. Alas, this will not be possible. After reviewing the Xmas present request lists from the boys, it has become apparent that I will not be purchasing an HSU, SVS or Axiom sub. I will not be ordering the M60ti's. In short, there won't be an upgrade in my meager system for a good, lone time. I will just have to do with my M22s/VP100/QS8s and that lousy JBL sub that keeps making that weird dieing noise. Sigh, sniffle, boo hoo!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Confession #???? - 12/06/05 05:16 PM
Me too! Only my upgradeitis is now directed completely at the home I just became an official (co)owner of. Carpet, kitchen, paint.... . It's not that bad, actually, but an empty house really shows wear and tear. Have to fill it up quick!
Posted By: Amie Re: Confession #???? - 12/06/05 05:23 PM
At least there are multiple items on the lists! Just one thing on Ian's list, and it's been on the list since we got married . . . a jet. Nothing like waking up Christmas morning knowing he'll be disappointed! Arg.

Oh, and for the record, there is only one thing on my list every year too - chocolate Thanks again Tharkun!
Posted By: Wid Re: Confession #???? - 12/06/05 05:42 PM

Amie, what is your favorite chocolate ? My uncle owns a Candy store, it's " Dans home made candies " I can see if they have your favorite.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Confession #???? - 12/06/05 07:00 PM
Well. don't give up on the jet just yet. There are quite a few private jets coming on the market using Williams International powerplants that are not all that terribly expensive, and that, and this may be the best part; can be flown by only ONE PILOT!!!

Y'All make good speakers, Williams makes good engines!!(one just flew non-stop all the way 'round the world, non-stop and un-refueled, only a few months ago, super reliable and fuel efficient too!)

Hey....maybe Next Year!!
Rich.
Posted By: Amie Re: Confession #???? - 12/06/05 07:31 PM
Ohhh, yes, send me the phone number! Buttercreams followed by anything chocolate-and-raspberry.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: Confession #???? - 12/06/05 07:32 PM
Amie-
I know it would not be a problem for us Axiom members to have a "Chocolates for Amie" fund in time for the holiday........................but as for the "Jet for Ian" fund, that could take a few months. So maybe next Christmas perhaps.
Posted By: Amie Re: Confession #???? - 12/06/05 07:33 PM
In reply to:

Hey....maybe Next Year!!

See, now it's comments like this and the 'not terribly expensive' that are egging him on. Stop! Tee hee.

Posted By: Wid Re: Confession #???? - 12/06/05 07:33 PM

I'll stop in today to see what I can do.
Posted By: Amie Re: Confession #???? - 12/06/05 07:35 PM
. . . mouth watering . . .
Posted By: Wid Re: Confession #???? - 12/06/05 07:38 PM

.He does make some pretty good stuff if I say so myself.
Posted By: RickF Re: Confession #???? - 12/06/05 08:51 PM
In reply to:

See, now it's comments like this and the 'not terribly expensive' that are egging him on. Stop! Tee hee.

Amie, if you ever need a pilot in the south and Caribbean I'm your man. I don't trips north of the Mason Dixon line though, cold weather and BrotherBob never has had a good relationship. Brrrr.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 03:13 AM
In reply to:

I know it would not be a problem for us Axiom members to have a "Chocolates for Amie" fund

I can just see a FedEx truck pulling up in front of the Colquhoun residence filled with chocolates.

Not necessarily a bad thing.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 05:02 PM
In reply to:

have a "Chocolates for Amie" fund

And maybe some nuts for the crew!

I'm in for this.
Posted By: littleb Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 06:03 PM
Amie, have I got a deal for you. I'm afraid I can't do anything about Ian's jet wish, but I'll send you a really nice box of chocolates in exchange for an EP500. I might even be able to see my way to a bag of Hershey's kisses for an EP350.
Posted By: Amie Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 06:31 PM
After your earlier comments in Home Theater suggesting Ian just load the Jeep up with a bunch more subs?!? You'll have more luck with the Jet route, trust me!

Posted By: Ajax Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 07:31 PM
Folks I suggest that anyone who wants to keep their forum account should ixnay on the oremay ubsays for Ianmay.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 07:53 PM
Amie...

These are far and away the best chocolates I've ever had. (And I consider myself a bit of a chocolate snob.)

La Maison du Chocolat

They're very expensive, but a box of their truffles is worth every penny.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 07:59 PM
You are truly an evil man. I must have watched that pic cycle 3 times.
Posted By: Amie Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 08:40 PM
Oh my . . . they look divine! If you select Canada as your shipping country they quote in Euros. not that I was checking or anything . . .
Posted By: Ajax Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 09:16 PM
THAT'S IT! I've now been driven to my box of See's candy, which I got for my birthday, for the second time today. Spiff, you ARE evil. Fat city, here I come! It's hell being a chocoholic.
Posted By: Wid Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 10:23 PM
One nice thing about having family in the candy buissness is when I do go there my uncle gives me free bags of the seconds, as he calls them.Their not perfect to the eye but they still taste as good
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 10:26 PM
See's are really good too. There are See's candy shops all over the place here in LA.

Posted By: jinhan Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 10:36 PM
Those chocolates really look good. Are they mail order only and what truffles do you recommend?

I may get them for Valentine's day. I get a subwoofer, my wife gets really expensive chocolates.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 10:43 PM
My sister is in the Bay area. She's the one who sends me the See's candy (actually, this time, she brought it with her). I gotta stop reading this thread. I'm tempted to hit the box a third time. AAARRRRRGGGGHHH!
Posted By: bray Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 10:53 PM
I just gained 10 Lbs looking at those pics.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 10:53 PM
Ajax...There have been many studies linking cocoa with health benefits. The darker chocolate with the most concentrated cocoa will of course be the most beneficial.

Go for it!
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 11:02 PM
Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that licking your computer monitor may cause electrical shock or excessive dust inhalation...
Posted By: James_T Re: Confession #???? - 12/07/05 11:58 PM
Someone PLEASE give me $113.00 for 1.76 lbs of chocolate truffle nirvana.
I'm with you on the chocolate snobbery Spiff (damn living in europe with access to affordable and amazing belgian, french, and swiss chocolate). Milk chocolate, white chocolate? Pfft. 75% cocao is heaven.
Have you tried Scharffen Berger. They are my current favorite (and bay area based).

-jr
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Confession #???? - 12/08/05 12:15 AM
Scharffen Berger is soooo good. Have you taken the factory tour?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Confession #???? - 12/08/05 03:47 AM
Unfortunately, they got bought out by Hersheys. One hopes that the management there is smart enough NOT TO CHANGE A GODDAMN THING!

I love Scharffenberger. Mmmm, 70%...
Posted By: bray Re: Confession #???? - 12/08/05 03:49 AM
And I thought Hersheys was bought out by Neslies.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Confession #???? - 12/08/05 03:55 AM
I don't think so... At the very least, they're still traded independently.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Confession #???? - 12/08/05 10:03 PM
They have a few shops around the world (NYC being the only one in North America though )

I like the plain truffles best. Dusted with cocoa powder. It's hard not to eat the entire dang box in one day!

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Confession #???? - 12/08/05 10:04 PM
Scharffen Berger is really good. In fact, I'm going to be making some of my own truffles from scratch using Scharffen Berger chocolate. They're amazing (and actually pretty easy to make!)

Posted By: James_T Re: Confession #???? - 12/08/05 10:12 PM
I have not taken the tour though it's on my list. I did pick up one of their special edition bars. 75% cacao. El Carmen. AMAZING. Expensive (at $6.00) but I'll be savoring it for days.

K, they were bought out? Please God don't let them start making crappy chocolate. These guys are my goto gift for christmas for family (that I like).

Spiffnme, I'd really love your recipe/instructions on making truffels. PM it to me if you don't mind.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Confession #???? - 12/08/05 10:16 PM
Yup. Hersheys bought 'em. Sadness...
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Confession #???? - 12/08/05 10:40 PM
This isn't the exact recipe, but this is very similar, and many others can be found online.

8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, sifted
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, sifted

Place 8 ounces semisweet chocolate and the unsweetened chocolate in a 4-quart bowl.
Heat the heavy cream in a 1 1/2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Pour the boiling cream over the chocolate. Allow to stand for 5 minutes, then stir until smooth (now you have ganache). Refrigerate the ganache for 1 hour until firm but not hard.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon of ganache for each truffle (approximately 3/4 ounce), portion 24 truffles, evenly space onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Refrigerate the ganache portions for 15 minutes (so the ganache will be firm enough to roll into truffles). When the ganache is firm enough to handle, remove from the refrigerator and individually roll each portion of ganache in your palms, in a gentle circular motion, using just enough pressure to form smooth rounds. Roll 16 of the rounds in 2 tablespoons cocoa and separately roll 8 in the confectioners sugar until completely covered. Store the truffles in a tightly sealed plastic container, in the refrigerator. Remove about 1 hour before serving.

(personally I roll all my truffles in cocoa powder. I don't roll any in the powdered sugar)

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Confession #???? - 12/09/05 01:07 AM
So at the risk of sounding like a total n00b, and bearing in mind that See's is my primary reference point for chocolates, truffles don't have anything in them but chocolate?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Confession #???? - 12/09/05 01:17 AM
In reply to:

In fact, I'm going to be making some of my own truffles from scratch using Scharffen Berger chocolate.

Craig, we've always been pretty good buds, huh? Christmas is coming!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Confession #???? - 12/09/05 04:00 AM
In reply to:

truffles don't have anything in them but chocolate?

"Are you chewing gum?!"
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Confession #???? - 12/09/05 04:03 AM
Whu?
Posted By: Amie Re: Confession #???? - 12/09/05 01:43 PM
Well, I went out into the snowstorm last night to load up on all the ingredients for truffles (and shortbread). I'm on dessert duty for our family Christmas this year and I'm making a truffle tree. That is always a hit - edible centerpieces!!
Posted By: Amie Re: Confession #???? - 12/16/05 06:48 PM
(Is it poor form to reply to yourself?) First round of rum truffles are done and . . . hic . . . good! Just made our family's Irish Cream recipe, too! It's beginning to look a lot like [holiday of your choice]!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Confession #???? - 12/16/05 06:55 PM
Don't you remember being in school and being told that "unless you have enough for everybody......"?
Posted By: Amie Re: Confession #???? - 12/16/05 07:09 PM
But I do! I'm making it to share! Geza, the Axiom version of MacGyver, just stopped by and tried out the rum balls. He's now warm enough to work outside this afternoon!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Confession #???? - 12/16/05 07:31 PM
I meant us, your other Axiom family!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Confession #???? - 12/16/05 07:52 PM
EGAD! Amie is soused!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Confession #???? - 12/16/05 07:55 PM
Sure seems that way.

Have some extra for me Amie! (Both booze and chocolate!)

Posted By: Amie Re: Confession #???? - 12/16/05 07:57 PM
I thought it was de riguer to get all drunked up and post? Tee hee! I didn't try the Irish Cream and I only had one rumball, honest!
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Confession #???? - 12/16/05 08:07 PM
Wouldn't it be amusing if we all decided to have an Axiom Forum party and all sit in front of our computers at the same time while drinking lots of booze? Can you image the conversations that would transpire? I'm not sure if I would want to be here or not...with all you *guys*!
Posted By: Amie Re: Confession #???? - 12/16/05 08:12 PM
Hmmmm . . . we could get Jim to set up a little live chat . . .
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Confession #???? - 12/17/05 01:50 AM
That would be quite embarrassing!

But very fun to read.

I think. . .
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: Confession #???? - 12/17/05 04:01 AM
Mmmm Irish Cream, now that's some good stuff. Try a bloody brain sometime, those are goooood. Kinda a halloween drink, but good nonetheless.

Sutter
Posted By: littleb Re: Confession #???? - 12/17/05 02:04 PM
Cool. Can I wear my Laura Petry Capri slacks.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Confession #???? - 12/19/05 12:31 AM
In reply to:

See's are really good too. There are See's candy shops all over the place here in LA.

See's opened a kiosk in a Nashville mall this season. The Toffee-ettes are quite good. Couldn't resist! Just because I heard about See's on this forum.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Confession #???? - 12/19/05 03:15 AM
"Wouldn't it be amusing if we all decided to have an Axiom Forum party and all sit in front of our computers at the same time while drinking lots of booze? Can you image the conversations that would transpire?"

Hmmmmm... you mean the rest of you are sober?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Confession #???? - 12/19/05 04:27 AM
I'm sipping an Ameretto Sour right now.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Confession #???? - 12/19/05 04:43 AM
I'm drinking maraschino juice with a twist.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Confession #???? - 12/19/05 04:59 AM
Um. . .cranberry peach juice. . .err, I mean, beer. And lots of it.

Darn, I'm so bad at this.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Confession #???? - 12/19/05 05:24 AM
Viognier from Temecula.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Confession #???? - 12/19/05 05:49 AM
Pepsi.

3/4 of a 2L left, and a dead soldier beside it. Shaping up to be a 3L day!

Bren R.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Confession #???? - 12/19/05 06:23 AM
A spot of tea.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Confession #???? - 12/19/05 04:27 PM
Earl Grey? Hot?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Confession #???? - 12/19/05 04:34 PM
Who's the bigger dork? You for saying that, or me for getting it?

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Confession #???? - 12/19/05 04:41 PM
We'll have to share the dork award for that, I fear.
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Confession #???? - 12/19/05 04:44 PM
There will be three of us sharing that award, Number One...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Confession #???? - 12/19/05 06:11 PM
Oh, a few more than that, I think...

But the line must be drawn, HEAH!
Posted By: Amie Re: Confession #???? - 12/21/05 12:29 AM
In reply to:

My uncle owns a Candy store, it's " Dans home made candies "

Oh my, my, my . . . Uncle Dan should run for prime minister of Canada. He DELIVERS! Our chocolates arrived last night and this afternoon I flew over to the factory with a few bottles of champagne to celebrate a milestone, and of course the chocolates in tow. We tried to grab a picture of the gorgeous treats, but no one wanted to miss a chocolate while taking the shot!! {giggles} Thank you so much Rick (and the lovely Janice) - and tell Uncle Dan we're making his shop a must-stop in Joliet!!

Posted By: Wid Re: Confession #???? - 12/21/05 12:47 AM
Thank you for the kind words Amie. I'm glad the Axiom folks enjoyed them. I made sure to add a couple of business cards just in case you would like more. If you ever do make it to Joliet let me know I'm sure we can get some on the house.
© Axiom Message Boards