Axiom Home Page
Posted By: LightninJoe The long haul is over... - 12/21/05 05:01 AM
After 2 and a half years I will be receiving my Bachelor's (Science) CompSci. No more night classes! Wacka DOO! That B.A. in History from UO never did a whole lot for me. My Dad is up there somewhere smiling now that I have a "useful" degree (in a field where I have been working for 12 years). Many thanks to my employers for paying the bill. I suppose it would be ethical of me to hang around for a few more years...
Posted By: Ajax Re: The long haul is over... - 12/21/05 05:07 AM
Congratulations Mark. Good for you for sticking with it. Bravo!
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: The long haul is over... - 12/21/05 05:16 AM
Thanks Jack! Best Christmans present I could get! Unless the wife decides an EP600 is my just reward...
Posted By: JohnK Re: The long haul is over... - 12/21/05 05:24 AM
Mark, congratulations, and isn't it wonderful that now you can explain what you've been doing for the past 12 years!
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: The long haul is over... - 12/21/05 05:51 AM
In reply to:

and isn't it wonderful that now you can explain what you've been doing for the past 12 years!

Heehee! I'm sure all of my co-workers will sleep better at night now that I officially "know what I am doing." Seriously it was strange getting a letter in the mail today stating that I qualify as a college graduate (again, after 15 years).
Posted By: bugbitten Re: The long haul is over... - 12/21/05 04:19 PM
Congrats on the BS!

And Merry Christmas too!
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: The long haul is over... - 12/21/05 05:04 PM
Thanks Doug. I am now officially BS. BTW it's SCARY how savvy the kids are. I took mostly night classes so I only worked with the occasional whippersnapper but they come into the program way ahead of the curve in many ways. Sure their knowledge needs some formalization and depth but WOW! It's taken me 12 years in the industry to gain a level of knowledge that many of these kids come pretty close to right out of high school. It sure was nice to have the BA already though, that took care of a big chunk of requirements and elective courses so I could concentrate pretty heavily on the BS . I had to take a TON of math courses to get on the BS track though. I did just the mininmum math req for the BA.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: The long haul is over... - 12/21/05 05:15 PM
The kids right out of college have the degree but not the understanding of the flow of business, communications and related fields. Your BS plus 12 years puts you way ahead.

Now, how about a masters degree!!!!
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: The long haul is over... - 12/21/05 09:47 PM
There is certainly the advantage of having experience within companies huge and small. Most of my classmates were also professionals of one kind or another as well. Like I said only a few youngins' took the night classes. The real benefit is being able to put a CS degree on the resume. All else being equal as far as experience and industry certification, the degree could make the difference between myself and another candidate for Senior level and/or management positions going forward.
Posted By: oz350z Re: The long haul is over... - 12/22/05 12:20 AM
I think the 60's would be apppropriate in this case.
Congratulations!
© Axiom Message Boards