Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme I'm such a dork - 01/05/06 02:01 AM
You know you're a dork when you get really excited about a new computer.

I'm spec'ing out a new computer for our office...check this out.

Dual Opteron 280 cpu's
4Gb RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX4500 vidya card
74Gb 10,000 rpm boot drive
1TB Raid 0 storage

Throw a little bit of this and a little bit of that and she comes to about $8,000.

Holy shnikes.

Posted By: bridgman Re: I'm such a dork - 01/05/06 02:39 AM
That's scary. A terabyte of disk on an $8K PC. I think it was only about 4 years ago I put the first terabyte into ATI, and it was a near-line tape library. Damn thing never worked reliably either, we ended up ripping it out and replacing it with a TB of RAID anyways. I wanted to tie the SCSI cable around my trailer hitch and drag the box around the parking lot but finance wouldn't let me.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I'm such a dork - 01/05/06 03:47 AM
Ooh... nice system.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: I'm such a dork - 01/05/06 05:54 AM
Perfect title for this thread, spiff.
Stated with much good feeling.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: I'm such a dork - 01/05/06 03:45 PM
Spiff, you're never gonna need all that storage and speed...why spend that kind of money on something you'll never use? <--Wisdom from my brother when I upgraded from a 486 to a Pentium 166. I think I had a whopping 64MB of RAM as well!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: I'm such a dork - 01/05/06 04:04 PM
We've got over 7TB of storage at work already and are always hunting for space.

Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: I'm such a dork - 01/05/06 04:58 PM
AMD is on the rise I think in the server world.

I'm kinda an AMD fanboy.

GO AMD!!!
Posted By: James_T Re: I'm such a dork - 01/05/06 06:38 PM
droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

-jr
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: I'm such a dork - 01/05/06 08:32 PM
Speaking of hunting for space.....

....when I worked for Bryant Computer in the early 70s, we had a new and improved 4.2 Gbit hard drive.

It ran with twelve 36" oxide coated aluminum platters, was about the size of a VW bug.
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: I'm such a dork - 01/06/06 03:32 PM
i imagine Call of Duty 2 would run pretty well on that system! Thanks Craig, like I need another case of upgradeitis after buying a new TV and getting into RC airplanes!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: I'm such a dork - 01/06/06 04:59 PM
We're putting it together specifically to run some image enhancement software. What they really want us to get is a Quad AMD Opteron 280 system, but that puts the machine at closer to $18K+. My boss can squeeze pennies out of a nickel, so the likelyhood that we'll go with the quad system is pretty slim.

The funny thing is that in the end we'll likely not use the software that they're looking at and I'll end up with a screaming machine for After Effects, etc. Too bad AE doesn't support over 2Gb of RAM.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: I'm such a dork - 01/06/06 05:16 PM
Only 4 gigs of RAM? That's only twice as much as I've got in my home machine.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: I'm such a dork - 01/06/06 07:58 PM
Again it's a money issue. To get more than 4GB, we'd have to then also switch to windows 2003 server enterprise edition...another $1500+. The only program that would support more than 2GB is this software that we're going to demo. Seemed silly to spend that much extra (not only the extra on the OS, but the extra RAM as well) for only one program that we'll very possibly not buy. If we do go ahead and buy that software and use it a lot, we can always switch to the server OS and add more RAM.

Posted By: Zarak Re: I'm such a dork - 01/06/06 08:50 PM
Will the app work on a 64 bit platform? You can have lots of RAM then
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I'm such a dork - 01/06/06 08:58 PM
Opteron, by definition, is 64 bit. It's not a matter of ability, it's a matter of articial limitations placed by the OS.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: I'm such a dork - 01/07/06 04:59 AM
Articial, eh?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I'm such a dork - 01/07/06 06:58 PM
Yes, articial. I'm tired. I was tired yesterday. I will be tired tomorrow. Lvie wtih ti.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: I'm such a dork - 01/07/06 09:11 PM
In reply to:

like I need another case of upgradeitis after buying a new TV and getting into RC airplanes!

Ohh...my uncle is into RC airplanes big time. It pretty much is his life. Really expensive.
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: I'm such a dork - 01/09/06 07:53 PM
In reply to:

Ohh...my uncle is into RC airplanes big time. It pretty much is his life. Really expensive.

well right now I'm sticking with the ready-to-fly, sub-$200 "beginner" planes. I just got a new one day before yesterday, and yesterday had to climb about 60' up a pine tree to get it down! 10 years and 50 lbs since I last climbed a tree made it an entertaining enterprise for the folks on the ground watching me attempt to not fall to my death!
© Axiom Message Boards