Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/10/06 09:00 PM
With the recent announcement of the new Dodge Challenger coming out, Chevy announced their new concept Camaro recently Detroit with 400 HP C6 Corvette engine, rock on...you can click on the thumbnails on the left had side to get a bigger picture...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2005601100416
Posted By: SirQuack Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 12:05 AM
Wow that Dodge Challenger looks awesome, talk about retro done right...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=108806#1
Posted By: rcvecc Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 12:15 AM
i almost bought the new charger for my wife but even with the kids,she didnt like the idea of a 4 door charger
when she sees this one i might have to get it for her.....i mean.....us.....i mean....i think ill let her drive my truck once and a while ......
a retro 1971 cuda would be sweet too
Posted By: RickF Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 12:41 AM
Randy, to me the Challenger looks to be like Fords retro version of the Mustang...a true retro muscle car of days gone by. I never thought the new Charger was even close to being a retro car, looks good, but nothing special. Chevy's HHR(?), Mopar's PT Cruiser and Ford's current Thunderbird are about as ugly as vehicles can possibly get, IMO.

Cars are cool but trucks are the only vehicles that work for me. An original 1965 Chevy C-10 Stepside would be neat as beans to own, I believe!
Posted By: littleb Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 12:51 AM
You haven't seen that Scion wagon then. Now, that is butt ugly.
I like the challenger, looks like the old cuda.
Posted By: michael_d Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 01:22 AM
I’m holding out for the Z06 Vette. Next year dealers should be selling it for MSRP instead of this 20K extra dealer mark up BS.

For pickup, you could always get the SRT10 Rick. I test drove one and damn near drove it off the lot for good. Quite a truck to say the least. If they had the quad cab version in an all wheel drive, I’d have it now.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 01:53 AM
So a person could get a vette in the 30's in 2006?
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 02:20 AM
The concept Chevy Camero looks a lot like the new Ford Mustang.
Posted By: RickF Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 02:48 AM
Mike the SRT10 is an awesome ride indeedy....my son and I had the opportunity to test drive a silver one several months back, and did we ever have a blast!

As much as I'd like to have some sort of a sweet four legged ride for special outings, at this point in my life I just can't justify it. Ford's crew cab diesels have been my last couple of rides and will more than likely continue to be so for a few more years, I've just had very good luck with these trucks. I just don't know if I want to wait for the complete redesigned '07 or go ahead with an '06.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 04:42 AM
I red an article that most likely once the Camaro hits production, it will not look exactly like the concept car, especially if it needs to compete with pricing of the Mustang. I think Dodge did a better job on the Challenger, man that thing looks bad, especially when you throw the 6.1 Hemi under the hood.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 11:30 AM
I've been reading many articles in the past year or so that mention products that are now being brought to market to satisfy the "40 year old guy" who can now, with some discretionary income, be given a chance to own that car, motorcycle or Stratocaster that he could never afford when he was young. I say bring it on!

Guitars that were way beyond affordable when I was a kid would be a drop in the bucket now. I've often thought that if my living room were bigger (grrrrrr...sucky little 13x13 suckfest!) I'd not only put up some of my SRV posters, but pick up an SRV model Strat just to hang on the wall.

I'm too practical now to think I could ever take the time to learn to play guitar, and too practical to think I could ever drive a Challenger instead of the minivan required to hold all my equipment for the business.

But if I could afford a personal car, separate from my business vehicle, that one would be in the running!
Posted By: RickF Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 12:40 PM
Mark, man you wouldn't believe just how many 40+ year olds going through their second childhood are running around Florida on a Harley-Davidsons ... many are getting hurt or even dying at a high rate as well. If we lived where there were some open roads, maybe, but not down here on these busy Florida roads.

I was going to do the exact same regarding SRV's signature Strat but the least expensive I could find the $1,999 MSRP Strat was $1,399 new. Although neat, I just never really liked the 'new' look of the guitar and I've read where Fender used some run-of-the-mill parts and pieces, i.e. the pick guard. And the very, very limited edition (100 units) SRV 'Number 1' Strat is a wee bit out of my spending brackets.

So...

After much looking around I've already decided that my next project will be an SRV DIY 'Number 1' Strat. Should be a fun project and the end result will hopefully turn out to be my personal little tribute to Mr. Stevie Ray Vaughan while at the same time make a great conversation piece for our new media room...which happens to be my 'over 40' project at the moment.
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 05:15 PM
don't forget the GT500 coming out, with a reported 500Hp stock!
Posted By: michael_d Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 05:52 PM
There’s definitely a lot of very nice cars from the big three hitting the market nowadays. Gone is the need to buy one, pull the engine for some ‘tweaking’, swap out the shocks, run stiffer sway bars, install some good brakes, and on and on……

Not only that, but there still getting 20-30 mpg and can sit at a stop light without loading up and scaring women and small children.

But there’s just something about a vette that I’ve always been drawn to. They’d always sucked in the handling department up until the C5, now the C6 is even better and the Z06 package is nothing short of incredible. It’s out performing Lambo’s. It set a new record in Germany on a road race track that all the sports car manufactures use with the exception of a $500,000 porche that still holds the record that it set in the early 80’s. I’d post the article, but can’t seam to find it right now.

Here’s a video of a Z06 vrs Lambo.

[link]http://www.videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=283A47DB-12F5-4506-9F82-A8AC6D95C085[/link]

One against an 03 mustang cobra SVT.

[link]http://www.media.putfile.com/C6-Z06-vs-03-Cobra[/link]

Posted By: EddyZ Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 06:02 PM
Mid-life crisis? I can't afford a mid-life crisis!
That yellow 'Stang is SWEET! What I'd really like to see is a retro '68-'69 Charger TWO DOOR. My first car was a '68 R/T 440 Magnum..........I still have dreams about it!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 06:13 PM
fixed links.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=283A47DB-12F5-4506-9F82-A8AC6D95C085

http://media.putfile.com/C6-Z06-vs-03-Cobra
Posted By: BrenR Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 06:32 PM
In reply to:

Mark, man you wouldn't believe just how many 40+ year olds going through their second childhood are running around Florida on a Harley-Davidsons ... many are getting hurt or even dying at a high rate as well. If we lived where there were some open roads, maybe, but not down here on these busy Florida roads.

And bikes keep getting heavier and more powerful... the dry weight on an Ultra Classic Electra Glide is 800lbs... about a third of the curb weight on a Chevy Aveo wagon.

That gives you a certain rolling mass at highway speeds, but in traffic, that's a lot of weight to be pushing around for a middle-aged accountant.

Bren R.
Posted By: bridgman Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 09:47 PM
Every year we used to see new owners show up at the local Ministry of Transportation office on a big, heavy, expensive bike. In Ontario you were allowed to drive your new bike to the test center without a license, but if you failed you had to have someone else drive it home. Not sure if this is still the case.

The pre-test parking area was on a paved island (curb height) with a ramp to get up the curb. About 20% of the people would ride up the ramp, come to a stop part way up, then slowly fall over. Another 20-30% fell during the slalom test. The rest got licenses.

Better than television
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 09:56 PM
Like the visuals.
Posted By: BrenR Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/11/06 10:11 PM
Here you used to have to be able to put a bike on a centre stand to pass.

That was always good for a laugh... it's finesse, not muscle. For the non-riders... the RIGHT way to put a bike up on the centre stand is stand alongside the bike, place your right heel on the stand and lower it to the ground... rock the bike on it side to side until you feel it's evenly balanced (you'll feel it)... find a grab place near the back of the bike with your right hand (sissy bar or b*tch pad rail if available - NOT a shock tower on softails!) and grab the left handlebar with your left hand with your centre of balance slightly forward... put all your weight on your right heel and lean back a bit, and the bike will slip up perfectly onto the centre stand. Even my ex did this the first time, no trouble (on a Honda 350, but still!)

The wrong way to do it is watching some dumb 'roid monkey try to lift the thing up and kick the stand under it... usually ends with a purple face and a smashed righthand mirror from the guy losing his balance and dumping it on the right side. That's worth watching!

Bren R.
Posted By: michael_d Re: My mid life crisis may happen soon. - 01/14/06 06:27 AM
A couple more cars to think about.

I'm really liking this one.
http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2005-Ford-Shelby-GR1-Concept-Aluminum-Body.htm

But then again, the GR 500 is hard to beat.
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z10828/Ford_GT500/default.aspx
© Axiom Message Boards