Axiom Home Page
Posted By: blackorp which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/26/06 01:07 AM
i checked ebay and they are selling quite a few variety of star wars dvd set. Wanted to know if anyone has any knowledge about it. What's the difference between the asian dvd package (complete set) vs, the silver box region 1 set (only epidsode 4,5,6 and bonus package).
Posted By: SirQuack Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/26/06 03:39 AM
I would be real careful buying anything oversees, a lot of that crap is not the real deal. Why don't you just buy the Trilogy set that came out about a year ago, it can be found on reputible wegsites like Amazon/Walmart/Best Buy/etc...
Posted By: blackorp Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/26/06 05:26 AM
you mean the silver box set right??? i thought if there wasn't much difference, i do just get the cheaper asian set. But i guess i'll stick with the amazon ones.

bye the way, nice avatar sirquack:)
Posted By: HomeDad Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/26/06 05:35 AM
Sometimes the Asian DVD's are black market, so you may not be getting what you are paying for. You can get the silver box set anywhere, you might want to try e-bay.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/26/06 05:38 AM
Oops, just noticed you did check e-bay
Posted By: Spoiler Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/26/06 12:11 PM
...must...stop....looking at sirquack's avatar...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/26/06 01:10 PM
Here is the link to the avatar. I may remove it as folks with dial-up hate me, the file is over 1MB. It is Scarlett Johannson getting felt up by a gay reporter at the Globe Awards.

http://www.hackedphones.com/gallery2/d/21236-5/Scarlett_boob_feel.gif
Posted By: bridgman Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/26/06 03:16 PM
>>I may remove it as folks with dial-up hate me

Well, "hate" is a little strong, but it does seem like my browser keeps uncacheing this .gif while keeping all kinds of other (smaller, older) junk around.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/26/06 03:55 PM
Until I think of something new, I'll go back to one of my oldies from Ms. Diana..
Posted By: royce73 Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/27/06 03:52 AM
I bought the Star Wars Asian DVD's two years before they were released in the US. They are indeed pirated copies. While the Dolby and DTS sound is up to par, the video is no better than VCR quality. On top of that, your version may include Asian subtitles in the black bar area and could be distracting. Go with the US set.
Posted By: BrenR Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/27/06 05:13 AM
For the first time in my life... I'm thinking buying anything that doesn't support Lucas' insane recent additions to his accidental masterpieces would be the way to go.

"Uh, George... the bad CG you added to SW, ESB and RotJ is garish and silly... where can I buy the movies I remember as a child?"
'Those movies do not exist... I have had all copies rounded up and burned, and the ashes fed to my alpacas...'
"When exactly DID you go batsh*t loco?"
*drool* *twitch* 'Oh about the same time as I came up with THX certification' *bites the interviewer's arm*

Bren R.
Posted By: JohnK Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/27/06 05:25 AM
Blackie, if you want the 4-disc widescreen set(silver box)and don't want to screw around on eBay, this may be the best deal. I've gotten my ballet DVDs there recently; reputable outfit.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/27/06 05:42 AM
Great site, it just got added to my favorites.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/27/06 03:07 PM
I actually payed less for the widescreen trilogy from Walmart online.
Posted By: JohnK Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/28/06 03:00 AM
Maybe it was on sale, Randy, but the Walmart site shows it at about $58 with tax and shipping, compared to about $46 at Deep Discount.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/28/06 04:13 AM
Yes John, if I recall, it was back about the time the trilogy was first released and I reserved a copy about a month in advance.
Posted By: BruceH Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 02/28/06 03:34 PM
In reply to:

"Uh, George... the bad CG you added to SW, ESB and RotJ is garish and silly... where can I buy the movies I remember as a child?"

This is funny. I remember thinking back when they were about to mess around with the originals that I had better get a copy of the unadulterated trilogy. I have a VHS set from way back when; still in its original packaging.

I don't like some of the cheesy CG they used in the re-release. The worst for me is the final scene in RotJ where they over-dubbed some new goofy music during the celebrations with the Ewoks.

Why do I suddenly feel like geek?
or I could always burn you a copy of my old Original Trilogy widescreen VHS, non-THX, non-"Special" Edition...it might not be the best video quality but on the plus side, there's no $hitty new band at Jabba's, Han shoots first, and Luke doesn't scream like a little girl when he takes a swan dive after losing his hand!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 03/04/06 05:37 PM
Geez, I didn't even realize about the screaming thing. Luke's really more of a whiner than a screamer, I suppose...
Posted By: BrenR Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 03/04/06 06:06 PM
Well, I'm not the biggest fan of the movies, anyway... I mean, yeah, when I was a kid, and all those action figures and toys and stuff were out, that was pretty cool.

One of my buddies brought the first DVD set over when it first came out... just figured I'd reminisce - if I never saw any of those movies again, I wouldn't feel unfulfilled.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Black Hole again, though. Maybe a remake? I think I was about 7 when I first saw it on CED, and Maximillian scared the sh*t out of me.

Bren R.
In reply to:

and Maximillian scared the sh*t out of me.

Me too.

Posted By: dllewel Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 03/07/06 04:44 PM
I've got ep. 4, 5, and 6 on LaserDisc and am keeping my discs and player in storage- just because it's the best copy of the original/unmodified films I guess I will ever have.
Posted By: BruceH Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 03/07/06 11:29 PM
Is there any way you can transfer the laserdiscs to DVD? If I recall correctly, some laserdiscs can suffer from delamination of the media. In some cases they can start to deteriorate from as soon as 11 years or so from manufacture.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 03/08/06 05:14 AM
No Star Wars DVD set would be complete without the Star Wars Holiday Special, released in 1978. Two hours of hell on earth. You've been warned. And yes, this is very real.
That might have been the only time I had a "WTF" moment as a kid. Keep in mind I had Star Wars wallpaper and bed sheets and all the toys and the collectable glasses from Burger King and. . .well, you get the picture.
Posted By: BrenR Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 03/08/06 07:12 AM
Wonder where THAT fit into the Insane One's "Artistic Vision"...

Bren R.
Posted By: blackorp Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 03/08/06 07:56 AM
i am changing my harrison ford avatar. it is no longer cool after seeing the holiday special.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 03/08/06 03:07 PM
You didn't ...watch... the whole thing, did you?

I think it's hilarious that they made this thing in 78. It must have cost a fortune!
Posted By: dllewel Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 03/08/06 04:44 PM
Yeah, but I'm sure they cashed in. Star Wars was a $13 million dollar movie that had earned about 1/2 billion dollars worldwide by 1978. I'm sure there was no problem in funding the holiday special.
c'mon Ken! How can you beat Star Wars mixed with Bea Arthur and Jefferson Starship?!?! Thank God that you can only get that tripe on bootleg, lest the masses see it and be scarred for life.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: which star wars dvd set should i get??? - 03/08/06 07:14 PM
With very, very large stick. With nails in.
mmmm, good point.
© Axiom Message Boards