Axiom Home Page
Posted By: real80sman Video Clip - 03/19/06 01:51 AM
Aborted landing of an Airbus A321.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Video Clip - 03/19/06 02:04 AM
I think the pilot was looking for something in the glove compartment.
Posted By: bray Re: Video Clip - 03/19/06 02:16 AM
Holy crap!!!!... I'm glad I wasnt on that flight.

Posted By: HomeDad Re: Video Clip - 03/19/06 02:23 AM
Either that or talking on his cell phone.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Video Clip - 03/19/06 02:30 AM
I love the full-on throttle-up when he realizes it wasn't going to happen. Nice and loud.
Posted By: Wid Re: Video Clip - 03/19/06 02:35 AM
In reply to:

Holy crap!!!!...

I'm afraid that's what I would have done
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Video Clip - 03/19/06 03:24 AM
Another sweet ride. although I would been saying a few choice words.

"Ahhhhh excuse me passengers.....does anybody know how to fly a plane?" " Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Video Clip - 03/19/06 03:41 AM
I had a flight like that just last year. It was VERY scary. We were flying from Des Moines to St Louis in route to Raleigh, NC. It was STORMING for the last 45 minutes of the flight to St Louis and we had some of the worst turbulence that the pilot (of 20 years commercially) had EVER experienced. People were screaming and crying on the plane. The only thing to make it worse would have been if the oxygen masks would have popped down (I know, loss of cabin pressure). It was BAD. Then, when we were landing, we were waving side to side like that. The pilot put it down HARD, and we slid off of the side of the runway a little before he got it under control and we were at the terminal.

Needless to say I was feeling sick and nervous about the next leg of my trip. I don't fly very often, so it was nerve racking to begin with. Every small bit of turbulence from then on has made me nervous, and I have had about 7 flights since then if you count each part of a 1-stop round trip flight.

It is scary even for people that fly all of the time. I witnessed the look of panic in the flight attendants eyes when the cockpit keep "dinging" her to the phone. She didn't answer it right away the first time, so they "dinged" her again. She answered it, looked freaked out. Threw down her Flight Attendant Seat and buckled herself in TIGHT. Seasoned flyers stayed calm at first, still reading the newspaper or a book, but it wasn't long before they had everything away and were gripping on to the arm rests.

I am just glad that we had the pilot with 20 years of experience and not a true rookie.

Posted By: BrenR Re: Video Clip - 03/19/06 07:09 AM
Nothing like attempting a landing in 85 knot crosswinds.

When the windsock is somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean... don't bother trying to set it down.

Bren R.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Video Clip - 03/19/06 05:41 PM
You can tell from the approach that he needed the B52 "crab" landing system.
Posted By: RickF Re: Video Clip - 03/19/06 07:47 PM
>>> Nothing like attempting a landing in 85 knot crosswinds. <<<

Yea, especially whenever the maximum crosswind component for this airplane is 29 knots. Word is that the wind for this attempted landing was probably around 50 knots, I betcha it would be very interesting to hear the cockpit transcript during this approach!

A321 Operating Limits
© Axiom Message Boards