Axiom Home Page
Looking to make a bunch of DVDs of home videos and the only one I've used is a Pioneer 533 which I like, but can't find one for a good price (everyone sells them for MSRP) if they are in stock (which a lot aren't)...

Basic needs are dual layer writing, RW would be nice, need the "i-link" or firewire port, internal hard drive (doesn't need a lot), and must work well.

We have a DVR with our satellite, so that is the reason that I don't need a lot of space on this one, just enough in case I want to do some editing.

Don't want Tivo (doesn't work with Dish anyway), and other "scheduling" pieces are not important because again they don't work with Dish.

Any ideas?
EBay has a large selection.
I know, but what brad/models have people used that they liked?
The one's I've seen the highest praise for are the Pio 533/633 and the Panasonic DMR-EH50. I think Panny has a new line out now though. I don't know the model number.

The best place I know of for info is the AVS forum.

I researched there, ended up with a Panasonic ES-20, no hard drive. I'm using it to convert home movies. Works fine so far. Editing is very limited on the hard drive models. I will use my PC to do the editing. For the cost difference of non-HD to HD equippped stand alone recorder I bought a DVD burner for my computer instead.

For now just dumping everything as-is to DVD via the ES-20. I'll edit it later on the PC.
When I said "editing" I just meant basic cut/slice stuff, nothing fancy. I've got Adobe Premiere Pro for that on my PC. Plus, if I ever do decide to dump stuff off of my Dish DVR (like I did one other time on the borrowed Pioneer) like kids' shows, I can at least cut out commercials on them.
© Axiom Message Boards