Axiom Home Page
Posted By: real80sman Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/04/06 08:03 AM
Most threads deal with movies with big LFE's and surround effects. How about movies with great music sountracks?

One of my favorite films is The Commitments. Just be sure to rent the 2 disc special edition. It was re-done in 5.1 and sounds awesome. The original release was only in 2 channel and sounds flat and lifeless in comparison.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/04/06 03:13 PM
I haven't thought about that movie for ages, I loved it, actually bought the sound track for it years ago, that's long gone.
Try:
"Ray"
"walk the line" (I can't stand country music, but I still liked this soundtrack)
"Almost Famous"
Great music, huh?

How about Moulin Rouge?

Maybe not exactly what you're getting at, but Almost Famous was pretty great - as are most of Cameron Crowe's soundtracks.
Posted By: jinhan Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/04/06 06:28 PM
Though I'm not a big hip hop or rap fan, Hustle and Flow had an excellent movie soundtrack. In addition, there was some pretty nice LFE effects.
Tim, I enjoyed those - all three were excellent. Although not exactly what I was getting at, some others that come to mind are High in Fidelity with John Cusack, and School of Rock with Jack Black.

Capn & Jin, haven't seen either of those. I'll have to rent them.

In an older thread, I talked about Drumline. The movie itself was not good, but the drumming was brilliant. The horns sounded pretty good too.
Posted By: rcvecc Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/04/06 08:38 PM
love and a 45
I'm sure sure what you are looking for then. Try "Calle 54" it's a documentary about the cuban jazz scene, mostly performances by some old timers. If you like the music on Buena Vista social club, you will like this one. I'm not really into that kind of music, but I can enjoy and appreciate it.
Posted By: jinhan Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/04/06 11:08 PM
I'll have to try Drumline once again. I watched it before with my 8" subwoofer. I wonder how it will sound with my EP500.
Posted By: oz350z Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/05/06 01:43 AM
Some of my favorites are:
The Big Chill ***
Wonder Boys ****
Locasl Hero (Mark Knophler at his ethereal best) ****
De-Lovely Cole Porter tunes done by broad range of contemporary artists.
Almost Famous
Elmer Bernstein by Elmer Bernstein not a soundtrack per se but wonderful cross section of his work produced for hollywood film scores. The Magnificient Seven , My left Foot, To Kill a Mockingbird, Ghostbusters to name a few. A great one to play while warming up your audience before starting your feature film.
Last and most essential...drum roll please!
The Last Waltz: A Martin Scorcese film featuring The Band with many special guests. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Dr. John, Joni Mitchell, Staple Singers, Van Morrison to name a few. This may be more of interest to the other old geezers out there like me.If you have the complete HT set up then get the movie and have the best of both worlds. This was re-released a few years ago in multiple formats. Not sure of the details so do your homework and get the best fit for you.
oz

Posted By: INANE Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/05/06 02:37 AM
SouthPark is pretty good, hey its a musical after all.

Thanks, guys. Some great suggestions here.

One that I haven't seen in a while (about 16 years!), is La Bamba. Although there was some controversy about how it ended compared to the Buddy Holly Story, I still remember enjoying it.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/05/06 01:18 PM
How about Dead Man Walking? The soundtrack has Eddie Vedder, Nusrah Fateh Ali Khan, Johnny Cash, Ry Cooder, and Bruce Springsteen.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/05/06 02:30 PM
What, no one's pulled out O Brother, Where art Thou?

Best soundtrack I've ever heard...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/05/06 03:08 PM
I liked the Commitments, too.

How about The Fabulous Baker Boys? Michelle Pfeiffer looks great, the Dave Grusin compositions are fairly spunky, and the standards are lovingly interpreted. I regret that the version of "More than you know" in the movie is NOT on the soundtrack.
I am Sam - total bummer - great soundtrack full of really competent Beatles covers.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/05/06 05:40 PM
20th Anniversary Edition of Purple Rain

Craig, since we are going back in time a bit........

But first I have to preface my post with the fact that I'm on my fourth delicious Sleeman Cream Ale, and in no way am I lumping these movies in with Purple Rain. It's just that it jogged my memory.

So, from my youth:
Footloose
Flashdance
Grease
Dirty Dancing
and Saturday Night Fever

At the time I remember enjoying them, but I imagine the cheese factor would be quite high if I watched them now.

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/06/06 06:40 AM
fyi...

The new anniversary edition of Purple Rain was handled really well. Both picture and sound are outstanding. Not just great quality music, but they did a really good job remastering and remixing it for 5.1.

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/06/06 03:28 PM
Shawn, we only recently started getting distribution of Sleeman products in Washington State. I understand Sleeman bought not only the underappreciated Okanogan Spring but also my much beloved Unibroue. But, this is clearly a topic for the beer thread. I love the Cream Ale, though. It obviously contains a delicate balance of high quality ingredients and is extremely clean.

I kind of liked "Grease", but I was in about 6th grade at the time.
That Cream Ale looks great! I wish there was a way I could try it here in TX...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/06/06 04:27 PM
When did they buy Unibroue?

<little alarm bells going off in head>
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/06/06 04:45 PM
I had the same sensation, Ken.

Looks like it was June 2004
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/06/06 05:07 PM
Well, before I started drinking it....
Tom,
In reply to:

my much beloved Unibroue

Is this the Unibroue you love so much?

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/06/06 10:18 PM
Dude, that is so...wrong.

Unibroue makes good, strong, bottle-conditioned beer. Not unsightly facial anomalies.

Posted By: BassTek Re: Movies with a great "Music" sountrack. - 04/06/06 11:10 PM
It's funny, whenever I try to return empty Sleeman's bottles to the recycler they say 'Oh you can't return that here, it's American. Better take it over to the liquor store'. Always leaves me scratching my head.
Sleeman's do make some good beer...problem around here is trying to order at the bar. It's not popular enough to sell a whole bunch (at least in this part of Canada - Great Western Brewing is the big "micro" here) so more than a few times i've ended up with a long expired, little skunky Sleemans. I have no problems returning, but always kind of spoils the experience.
That's too bad. Of course being brewed in Guelph, it's pretty big here in Ontario. No problem at restaurants - most of the time available on tap.

The problem is the price. A case (24 beers for you Americans) runs around $40.00 CDN. Although they do run sales now and again. Right now, they have the "Original Draught" on for $33.00. Couldn't pass it up.
Posted By: Eno Re: Movies with a great "Music" soundtrack. - 05/31/06 01:18 AM
To get back on topic, a couple of movies I have with great soundtracks:

Kingpin (the Farrelly brothers' bowling comedy)
The Mighty Quinn
A Clockwork Orange
© Axiom Message Boards