Axiom Home Page
Please note that my credit card is about to snap itself in half. I had hoped to avoid getting a macbook pro by telling myself all sorts things like "first rev's suck" and "you don't 'need' it for work" and "you could not really game on it". Though, since I only really play WoW that's not a real excuse.
Now apple goes and does this.
Horrible, horrible people. Prettiest and best engineered and multi-booting laptop (OSX, XP, Linux) here I come!

-james
Ha! I'd be running it already, had I not screwed up my partition map the last time around when I was trying get get XP on my MacBook Pro the unofficial way. I discovered that Boot Camp requires a single partition before it will even launch. So I spend the last half of the day backing it up, formatting, and restoring. I had to leave work while it was in mid-restore. Tomorrow, I shall be dual-booting.

(Keep in mind when I say my MacBook, Howard Hughes turns over in his grave... )
Yeah, tell me about it.

I am continuing to resist... must resist!

Uncle Howard didn't buy me a MacBook...
I'm gonna pick up an iBook (MacBook Mini? iMacBook? just MacBook?) when they switch. My head is about to explode waiting to get my hands on a MacIntel to fiddle with. Lo, haveth only I resist ordering a new laptop at work for 6 months I would have been in geek heaven e'en hence... XP/Linux/OS X triple boot... eeeaaarrrghhhh!!!! Windows binaries being able to run natively in OS X within the year... can't... hold... on... much... longer...
I hear you. I'm going to see if I can get work to buy one for me (I'll be a real good boy this year!), but if not, perhaps by August I can put the money together...
I've recently loaded linux on my laptop with a new experiemental 3d windows config and couldn't be happier.

Mac can almost be seen now as a very complex unix/linux distro.
Who would wear a single boot? Seriously, I'll have to ask blown302 what the devil dual booting means. OK, OK, so I'm an ignorant twit.
In reply to:

Mac can almost be seen now as a very complex unix/linux distro.

...that only runs on hardware from the same company...

I'm running XP on the MacBook right now. It's definitely faster than my Thinkpad w/ 1.7Ghz mobile pentium.
Being that it is a Mac GUI (i.e. X-windows system) over OpenBSD Unix you could certainly say it is a Unix system. What Apple brings to the table is elegant software and hardware design. X-windows over Unix in itself is not new. Heck, even OS X is based on nExt.
© Axiom Message Boards