Axiom Home Page
Posted By: tshepherd Advice on QS8s and columns in Home Theater - 07/13/06 03:19 PM
I'm planning on getting 2 sets of QS8s for a theater I'm putting in. My question is, can I put the QS8s in a column (with cutouts obviously), or will I be limiting their performance by doing so?
tshepherd welcome, if you mean in a column as in inside, I would say you would most likely affect the sound since you would be enclosing both the top and bottom woofers.
Posted By: alan Re: Advice on QS8s and columns in Home Theater - 07/13/06 03:32 PM
Hello tshepherd,

You may hang or bracket-mount a QS8 to a column, but you cannot mount it inside a column. The QS8 uses dual top- and bottom-firing woofers on its upper and lower surfaces, and angled tweeters on the front baffle, so enclosing the QS8 in any fashion would defeat the speaker's multi-directional "quadpolar" characteristics. It's the latter that makes them so effective as ambient/surround speakers.

The Axiom Full Metal Bracket is compatible with an inset mounting bolt on the QS8s rear baffle, which gives it considerable placement versatility.

Regards,
That's about what I thought. Thanks for the info!

Tom
Most columns built are just cutout to the sides and enclose the speaker on the top and bottom. If you could leave it totally open it could work?

If the entire column was just an open frame, covered in acousticaly transparent material/GOM, then I imagine the sound wouldn't be too inhibited.
© Axiom Message Boards