Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ayien Quick Question HDTV-Ready? - 09/24/02 10:11 PM
What does "HDTV-Ready component switching" mean/entail?

Thanks
Ayien

Example: http://store.yahoo.com/crazyeddieonline/harkarav2.html
Posted By: john_henderson Re: Quick Question HDTV-Ready? - 09/25/02 01:58 AM
Without going into a long winded dialog about this topic go to www.google.com and type in "component video switching" and perform a search. This will return numerous topics and definitions that you can read through.

Posted By: alan Re: Quick Question HDTV-Ready? - 09/25/02 05:41 PM
Hi Ayien,

HDTV-Ready component-video switching means that the component-video inputs are wideband, which means they will accept a progressive-scan DVD player's output as well as the signals in several formats from an outboard High-Definition TV tuner or HDTV cable decoder. These include 480p, 720p, or 1080i signals. A progressive-scan DVD player outputs a 480p video signal. The "p" stands for progressive-scan, the "i" for interlaced video.

Standard component-video inputs will accept only NTSC video. The wideband outputs are needed so the HDTV and progressive-scan signals can be switched by the receiver without picture degradation.

Regards,
Posted By: Ayien Re: Quick Question HDTV-Ready? - 09/27/02 10:14 PM
Unless i'm mistaken the tx-sr600 by onkyo, can handle the hdtv picture. Is this correct?

What is says on onkyo's web site:
The TX-SR600 has 50 MHz component video switching, which allows the high definition video signal to use the receiver's source switching without degrading video quality.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=receivers&m=TX-SR600&p=i

Thanks in advance, and thanks Alan for your useful knowledge (:

Ayien
Posted By: john_henderson Re: Quick Question HDTV-Ready? - 09/28/02 07:40 PM
Yes you are correct, the 50MHz bandwith is sufficient for HDTV signals.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: Quick Question HDTV-Ready? - 09/29/02 12:08 AM
Does anyone know of an article or thread that may exist for an a/b test of using/not using the receiver for video signals?
Posted By: alan Re: Quick Question HDTV-Ready? - 09/29/02 03:21 PM
Hi,

No, I do not, but you can do those tests yourself if you get an A/V receiver and a compatible TV display that has component video inputs. If you want HDTV, the TV display must be progressive-scan compatible. You could plug the component-video outputs of your DVD player directly into the TV display, bypassing your AV receiver's component-video switching, then use the receiver to switch the component-video output of your DVD, comparing the two to check for any picture degradation.

Regards,
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: Quick Question HDTV-Ready? - 09/29/02 06:34 PM
I knew you were gonna say that. It's not that I'm lazy, but it is very hard to do the plugging and unplugging with my receiver in the current entertainment center I have it housed in. You'll see what I mean when I send my pics in for the wall of fame. Has anyone else been able to do the comparison?
© Axiom Message Boards