Axiom Home Page
Posted By: xander Help!!! What do I buy?? - 09/21/06 08:27 PM
I'm getting ready to take the plunge on my brand new HT. My room is 18' wide and 15' deep as well as 8' tall. I'm going with a 58" Panasonic plasma. Now I need to put the speakers and receiver in there. The 'wizard'advised me to get the M60 500 system.

But, the M80's look awfully impressive. This is my one chance to get a home theater/ Super Bowl room. Will the M80's just be 'too much' for a room that size?

And what should I look at for a high powered receiver?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Help!!! What do I buy?? - 09/21/06 08:34 PM
If the 80s are no problem for your budget I would say go for the 80s. By the sounds of it you want the best Axiom has to offer, and if you don't get the best you will regret it (by the sounds of it!)

I do not have 80s, so I may not be the best to advice for a receiver. A Denon receiver that can drive a 4ohm load will be needed for the M80s, mabey a Denon 3806 or a Denon 2807.

-Robb.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Help!!! What do I buy?? - 09/21/06 08:38 PM
Welcome xander!

The M60s would be just fine for that room. But, if you have a hankering for the M80s, and if the budget allows, I doubt they would be "too much" for a room that size.

The M60s have an 8 ohm impedance, and can be driven with just about any of the common brands of receivers. I think we recently had a poll of what people on the forum are using, and more had Denons than any other brand. But, Harman Kardon, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Onkyo were all represented.

The M80s are 4 ohm speakers, and are a bit more touchy when it comes to power, although they are generally considered an "easy" 4 ohm load. There are 3 brands usually mentioned for the M80s, Denon, HK, and I forget the third (old age ). Hopefully someone who still has a memory will come along and fill in the missing blank(s). I'm sure that the M80 posse here on the forum will chime in with more suggestions.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Help!!! What do I buy?? - 09/21/06 09:24 PM
My room is 900 Sq Ft with 9ft ceilings, so much bigger than yours, and m60's are just fine.
Posted By: Wid Re: Help!!! What do I buy?? - 09/21/06 09:26 PM
I have the M80's in a similar size room and they not to much for the room, I say go for it.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Help!!! What do I buy?? - 09/21/06 09:28 PM
Rick, aren't you losing your hearing.
Posted By: RickF Re: Help!!! What do I buy?? - 09/21/06 09:28 PM
Huh?
Posted By: Wid Re: Help!!! What do I buy?? - 09/21/06 09:29 PM
Only a little
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Help!!! What do I buy?? - 09/21/06 09:36 PM
If

Quote:

This is my one chance to get a home theater

Then get the "mostest" and the "bestest"

80s, 150, 8s, 600!!!!
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Help!!! What do I buy?? - 09/22/06 12:21 AM
I've got to agree with the M80 posse, if it's in your budget go for the 80's, it will eliminate upgradeitis.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Help!!! What do I buy?? - 09/22/06 01:43 AM
It's overkill! They're too deep, I tell ya!

Either would serve you well, I'm sure. But, seriously, measure.
© Axiom Message Boards